Advanced Gifting: Adopt a BM Virgin (Or Be Adopted)!

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Re: Advanced Gifting: Adopt a BM Virgin (Or Be Adopted)!

Postby Lonesomebri » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:03 pm

I accidentally stumbled into that french veggie camp last year and almost got tangled up in some sort of territorial carrot vs rabbit blood/juice feud. Maybe that's the kind of action this newbie needs to experience, hardcore herbivore on vegetable violence. The burn isn't all fun and games.

I told her I was bringing tuna, she said she really likes sashimi....
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby socks » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:05 pm

I hope we are not too late with this. Our camp would like to adopt a virgin
and help someone along on the first burn. Its dam overwhelming the first few times
to be on the playa hoping you have all the right gear. Our camp has 10+ years of experience
camping at Burning man. We have 12 x 20 feet of shade, full kitchen and a shower tent.
At this time its a small camp that stays in the walk in camping area.That at one time was considered
the quite side of our city. As if anywhere in Black Rock City is quite any more.

The only hitch is we will not be on the playa until Tuesday morning. So if this can work for you
we would like to have you join us. PM me

Welcome Home

socks
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence
socks

Postby Lonesomebri » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:05 pm

I adapted a newbie this year. And I talked with dozens more. My Lackey kicked ass, but I’m not so sure she is an exception, reflecting on the high quality of people I met. I met a couple from Canada who were signed up for a camp, first timers, and discovered it was a swinging camp, and they had discretions. So they bought a cheap car, drove it down, slept in it, up early enough to be near the front of the ice line everyday. They had it together, everything but a evap pond, but that’s what the neighbors are for. They were a pleasure. My vet neighbors set up a shade shelter and a gaggle of newbies gathered there every day and night, Australians and Brits. Their laughter drowning out the generators and sound camps. A first time Israeli told me being here was like being a child in a candy store. My German/Maui nymph, her first time on playa, offered me an apple in the desert, but only if I promised to eat all of it including the core. My Turkish friends wanted to know what it all meant, and only laughed when my cart spilled them in the dust.

My newbie? A younger nerdish working class first timer, veteran raver, from the mean streets of Sacramento. I wanted someone vulnerable enough that I could count on their labor when erecting my camp. She was smart, witty, humble, tough and brought it! She had read up, new the ropes, was game. She rolled with the first war as I jockeyed for camp space. Lit up like a Christmas tree, the first night she was complaining about darkwads. Her bike was decorated, as was her. She helped set up and dismantle the camp, though I know in her head she was thinking, “Why is this crazy old man putting up these stupid signs?” Her bike basket filled with moop, she insisted I pour the dirty cooler water in a jug to take home. She existed the entire week on almonds and triskets. I heard her crack open a beer after I went to sleep. She helped me set up The Last Bar on Earth/First Bar on Playa, even though she had her serious doubts. Poured dozens of drinks to the thirsty. Totally took care of business. Really, what more could you ask for in a Burner?

The only real problems I had with her were virtues. She took off, for days. She would show up at dawn. On exodus she disappeared with a margarita to join the street party brewing behind us, representing, running up to the truck only as I moved forward on the last exit pulse. Though there was the one incident early in the week… We went out to ride Tuesday night and within 15 minutes she had agreed to temporarily marry a shirt-cocker. Really… Sometimes I simply can’t understand someone. It wasn’t until Sunday that I could look at her straight.

At camp and on the drive she was supportive and a pleasure to be around. I dropped her off at work, she went straight there to make up for the time off. Never complained. Other than the shirt cocker thing, being a raver, and not supporting my various feuds and vendettas, she was a better Burner than me her first time out.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby kowtow » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Lonesomebri thanks for being my first reply and thanks for recounting your adopta-newb experience.

Let me throw it out there. I'm a super motivated newb. I want to join a camp, but I do want to focus on fit as well. I have a LOT to offer, whether it be abstract: motivation, energy, desire, muscle, money (not really abstract huh?) or the literal skills: project management, technical assistance, web design, money (better fit). I'm realizing early on that it's a huge endeavor to attend BM and I can't do it alone. I don't know any experienced burners to bring on board and to try and bring together a bunch of newbs is a project beyond what I can effectively manage as a newb myself.

I placed a post about my BM philosophy http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=67348 and would love to start delving in deeper with y'all.

BTW, I'm in the Portland, OR area.
DISCLAIMER - Kids please do not follow me on these forums for my grammar, punctuation, spelling or my general ill-use of the English language. Stay in school, adhere to abstinence, never drink or do cannabis. -kowtow
kowtow

Burning Since: 2014

Postby Bjorn Hona » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:55 pm

A little bit about me...

My name is Kelsey. I am from northern California in a conservative town called Redding.
I am 22 years old, 23 on April 3rd.
I am a practicing, Certified Massage Therapist that specializes in Deep Tissue massage therapy primarily, and it's one gift I would like to offer to people of the playa.
I just started attending a 5 Rhythms dance class, and starting to work on finding myself and embracing my individuality and loving myself.
Since last month, I have been changing some of my stagnant habits, including poor eating, negative self-talk, and treating my body with respect and love instead of criticism...
Happy to report that I've lost 15 pounds and gained a lot of self-confidence and appreciation. <3 I've been doing yoga, zumba, and 5 rhythms weekly, and it's really uplifted my mood and helped me grow.
Burning Man seems like quite the experience. I am looking to connect with a group to contribute some of my gifts as well as gain some wisdom from experienced burners.

Some things I would like to contribute include bodywork, improv games/theatre games, essential oil treatments, and perhaps emotional support. And lip balm. :P
Bjorn Hona

Postby peace+positivity » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:27 am

heres my resume: 1st year burner. i will acquire ticket.

location: would like to find close people; ideally you're tribe is gathering north of mount shasta, and south of eugene. humbolt? especially if you were down for kinetic sculpture race, too. half the fun is getting to the burn!

can do good impressions of the crocadile hunter, ze russians, and mix a mean watermellon margarita.

DJing: using traktor and maschine, chilled out breaks 89 to 93 bpmish, think emancipator, bluetech bonobo sounding grooves.

i have glow in the dark body paint, a bicycle, + funny hats and goggles for sand storms, really hoping to find people who are going in on fixing up/renting an rv, or are bringing a sound system. helping with survival, and how do i rig up leds for my bike? lookin for a home in the black rock. DJ CHENG WOO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peace+positivity

Postby Elliot » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:47 am

Good to see this thread is back in play.

For the DJ... there are quite a few Kinetic racers who burn (including Duane Flatmo). You ought to ask around at the race.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service & Piano Bar - on 4:30 Plaza

--------Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!--------

Camp website:
http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Yoopersmith » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:30 pm

I'm here looking to be adopted...I have thought about doing BM several years now...NOW this is my year! I'm sure I will survive as a solo burner and do just fine on my own...AND i'd also like to share my "virgin" eyes and experience with a cool, chill, group of burners.

So a little about me. I love to contribute in any way I can...I have lots of camping gear that I can share with the camp. I use two 7 gallon water jugs every damn day to be ready for an earthquake evac....so I got that going for me. I have desert uniforms that I was thinking of dying pink so I really stand out...but everyone is wearing pink, so maybe purple or green and gold...I also still have my AF issued desert goggles and plenty of hats.

I am a Certified Massage Therapist...So I can gift massage and Neuromuscular therapy...an established camp would help me make this happen because my table takes up loads of space so I'd need a larger vehicle than I own to bring it out to the playa.

I am really a jack of all trades, a story teller, sucky and fearless singer (like camp fire and karaoke).

I have never been into costums or art...So I need help in that department. I'm not a big fan of sun burn, so I guess everyone is wearing SPF 1 billion sunscreen. I'm willing to give it a go...I really like zombies...is there a zombie theme camp?...there should be. I'd love to dress up like a zombie...a zombie with a good hat, MOOP bag, suncreen, camelback...etc.

Frank Zappa makes awesome music...wonder if there is a Zappa theme camp? There should be!

So, if I sound like your type of virgin lemme know...

I live in Los Angeles (Torrance, CA)...Married (wife is not into camping), 44 laps round the sun, Male, White, orignally from Michigan, Gemini, born year of the roster, favorite super power = infectious laugh...
Jeff "Yooper" Smith

All I know is I know nothing...
Yoopersmith

Camp Name: Adopt me and tell me my camp name.

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:22 pm

There was a radio station that played zappa 24/7 for the whole week last year. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Yoopersmith » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:48 pm

FIGJAM wrote:There was a radio station that played zappa 24/7 for the whole week last year. 8)

Let's hope this tradition continues!
Jeff "Yooper" Smith

All I know is I know nothing...
Yoopersmith

Camp Name: Adopt me and tell me my camp name.

Postby sydneykat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:40 pm

Fellow Aussie here looking for a family! Coming from Sydney and all my mates have bailed. But I feel drawn to BM this year, so am keen to go anyway!

No idea how to find a tribe but the search begins now. Would love a hand from more experienced burners. :D

Nanahuatl wrote:Im up for being adopted!

I'm a 21 australian male coming from the top of the world all the way down to you guys!

Im planning on flying into LA about two weeks or so beforehand, then bus my way to san fran, then to reno at which point I'll be preparing for the festival for a few days, then makeing my way to the playa.

PS, anyone want to sell me a somewhat functional bike from reno onwards?
sydneykat

Postby trilobyte » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:12 pm

You may also want to consider [urlhttps://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=364&t=36767]this thread[/url], or its companion thread about starting your own camp.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby TitsMcGhie » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:06 am

What a fantastic thread:)

Me and my Girlfriend are coming over from Scotland as 1st time burners...Bought our tickets yesterday and trying to get everything in place now:)

Any help/advice and pointers would be fantastic. where to buy things when we arrive in San fran would be useful as we wont be able to bring much on the flight.
We are currently trying to organise an RV.

Vicky :) xx
TitsMcGhie

Postby Canoe » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:45 am

Start with the Survival Guide. > link is in the signature line of the post above yours
then use http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ to look around at what is available where
and you might want to look at a map to see the distance from San Fran to Reno to Gerlach

and while you're at the Burning Man site, take a look at the ten principles...
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby RobertFXDB » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:53 am

Hello Everyone! I'm Robert and am interested in finding a new friend or friends that would be kind enough to consider adopting me for my first burn. No ticket yet (lost out on the Individual Sale) but I still have lots of determination. Sadly, most of my old friends from Humboldt, California, who are long-time burners, aren't attending this year so I would really like to expand my community, maybe join a camp, and hopefully make some new friends.

I am a Fish and Wildlife Biologist for the Summit Lake Paiute Tribe. I'm 50 years old but people are usually surprised when they learn that. Spring through fall I work at Summit Lake, about another 2 hours north of the Black Rock Playa on the way to the town of Denio. I guess I'm pretty fortunate in that regard as I get to spend a lot of time exploring the area almost year-round. My weekly commute takes me right past the playa! The downside? I've seen Black Rock City rising up from the dust year after year but have never entered; only looking down sadly from the hill above and wondering, sending good thoughts to my old friends there, feeling the pull. I'm breaking that pattern in 2014 and am determined to participate. Out of everything I'm mostly looking forward to making a journey to the Temple and honoring a very, very dear loved one there this year. Hoping to embrace the pain, say goodbye to it, and watch it melt away into the sky. I also want to get a feel for some of the different volunteer opportunities in case this becomes a yearly habit, and to at least try to make a Lamplighter shift. Aside from that I don't really have any expectations and am willing to just be open to following my bliss for the week.

I'm very self-reliant, have all of my own camping gear, a pick-up truck, and although a burgin I have a ton of experience in and around the Black Rock Desert. It's going to be a good burn. Thanks for letting me introduce myself.
“One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure." - Edward Abbey
RobertFXDB

Postby RobertFXDB » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:47 pm

RobertFXDB wrote:Hello Everyone! I'm Robert and... Insert lots of words.

Guess I killed the thread. :|
“One final paragraph of advice: do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant enthusiast....a part-time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure." - Edward Abbey
RobertFXDB

Postby Joeln » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:19 pm

Hell I read it.
I'd adopt you except I'm a Burgin too...
Collapse first and avoid the rush
Joeln

Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby VultureChow » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:41 pm

I'm glad other people here get the thread killer vibe. I feel like I'm particularly good at those posts.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Joeln » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:25 pm

Happens to us all VC.
Eventually I figured out it's generally not personal.
Collapse first and avoid the rush
Joeln

Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby trilobyte » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:38 pm

To be fair, this thread's been in a state of necropsy since before the join date of some of the recent posters. A's for effort, but sometimes dead threads don't want to revive. It's also worth pointing out that this thread was created back in 2012, during a rather unique period in the event's history. Tons more people had signed up for the drawing that was held than were tickets available, and so many longtime burners were unable to get tickets, while our records showed that we had a massive influx of new burners. Scarcity was causing a lot of animosity, and Brody's excellent discussion was an attempt to get people to open their arms and work together, instead of building walls.

Those conditions don't exist today (whew!). There might be a few curmudgeons out there who grumble about newbies, but I think most people in Black Rock City don't have a problem with first-time burners in their camps. If you're planning this early, great! Connect with people in your region and engage with people on the boards, you'll likely find a potential camp to connect with - see this thread for tips. Remember though, it's still early March. This is incredibly early in the season for most camps, most don't start figuring out what kind of space they'll have, who will be returning, and how many (if any) new members they'll be taking on for another couple months.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby RobertFXDB » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:16 pm

Thanks Trilo! As always, lots of good advice and encouragement.
RobertFXDB

Previous

Return to Get Involved!