How do I help work on the Temple?

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

How do I help work on the Temple?

Postby lovaphile » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:44 pm

2008 was my first burn. I don't have the words to describe the depths I felt at the Temple, the burdens it lifted off ot me, and the strength it allowed me to grow inside myself.

I need to help build it for 2009. I want to contribute myself to something that will allow others to feel like I did. Does anyone know how I can volunteer?
"If all my thoughts are really me,
My mind is off its hinges."
-Goethe
lovaphile

Postby Sham » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:44 pm

The Temple is built by different groups each year. David Best has done several over the years, but did not do this past Temple. It is not known who will be doing the Temple this year, but I'm sure it will be announced not long after the tickets go on sale. Once it's announced, you can contact that group and offer your services.
I agree with you that the Temple is a very moving and theraputic place. I love to sit and rest and just take in all the energy and emotions that exsist there.
Ironically, I have seen many of the Temples over the years, but have always had to leave early and miss every burn of it. Maybe this year will be special for me and I will get to see the burn on Sunday night.
An interesting side note: I always bring about 50 Sharpie markers with me and place them around the Temple during the week for notes to be left on the structure. A nice gesture would be for others to do the same.
Sham

Postby AntiM » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:43 am

Nice gesture with the sharpies, but they are pretty toxic when burned. I know a lot of toxic crap goes up in the temple smoke, but random sharpies may not be the best idea. I don't have a better suggestion about how to round them up on Sunday morning before the temple is closed off.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby jkisha » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:57 am

AntiM wrote:Nice gesture with the sharpies, but they are pretty toxic when burned. I know a lot of toxic crap goes up in the temple smoke, but random sharpies may not be the best idea. I don't have a better suggestion about how to round them up on Sunday morning before the temple is closed off.

WOW, never thought about that aspect of it. My partner always brings a bunch of sharpies too. Hmmm....

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Sham » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:58 am

AntiM wrote:Nice gesture with the sharpies, but they are pretty toxic when burned. I know a lot of toxic crap goes up in the temple smoke, but random sharpies may not be the best idea. I don't have a better suggestion about how to round them up on Sunday morning before the temple is closed off.

I guess I foolishly assumed that the area was prepared for the burn with extraneous things being removed. If pens and markers are left to go up with the Temple, then they sould be banned from the event altogether. As a temporary measure, I will only bring 40 Sharpies this year to cut down the toxic gasses by 20%.
Sham

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:02 am

The temple is thoroughly prepped for burning - pens are removed. Only the obvious things people leave to be burned remain. It is searched for clandestine items that may have been placed as a prank - fireworks, compressed gas bottles, and any other unsafe items are removed.

Pens, if burned are a small item when comparedd to alot of the items people wish burned. Wedding dresses, photos in plastic frames, entire photo albums.

Thanks for the pens, I have used them every year as i forget to bring my own.
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby AntiM » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:18 am

Good point ...
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Turnip » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:33 am

I anticipate seeing the temple more than anything else for 2009
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:56 am

Use charcoal & ochre like a normal Neanderthal.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:23 am

Shambala wrote:

I guess I foolishly assumed that the area was prepared for the burn with extraneous things being removed. If pens and markers are left to go up with the Temple, then they sould be banned from the event altogether. As a temporary measure, I will only bring 40 Sharpies this year to cut down the toxic gasses by 20%.

I'll bring an extra tire and couch to burn to offset the lack of sharpies.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Return to Get Involved!