Where do ya gets yer rebar?

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Where do ya gets yer rebar?

Postby Omnithought » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:29 pm

I'm in AZ and have been looking online at home improvement and hardware stores, but seem to be having a hard time finding rebar for my first burn. Anyone know where to get some good deals on it, and be able to have it cut?

Thankee!
Omnithought

Postby LeChatNoir » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:39 pm

Hi Omnithought,

Big box improvement stores usually sell it in precut lengths. It’ll be near the concrete and concrete tools. If you want lots of it, you could buy it in 20’ lengths from your local steel yard (in the yellow pages under “Steel Salesâ€
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby Teo del Fuego » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:08 pm

rebar is so darn cheap, it's hard to go wrong at the Home Despot. Dont mess around and get the short stuff, though. Go for the 2 footers, or better yet, get the 3 feet lengths. The Playa is a lot softer than you'd think.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby BitterDan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:24 pm

I use 3' sections of rebar, unbent that I got for Home Despot. You'll need a sledgehammer to get them in and you'll need a good pair of Vice-Grips to get them out. A few twists of a Vice-Grips and the rebar will come loose. Don't bother trying to put water down the side of the rebar, that does not work at all.

On the dome we use 4' sections of rebar bent in a semi-circle. We pound those in with the Sledgehammer and remove them with the sledgehammer (we broke our sledge removing them this year). The dome rebar is MUCH more difficult to remove than my rebar tent stakes.

The major problem with the unbent rebar is that you have a 6" section sticking straight up for someone to get impaled on. To remedy this I put Tennis Balls over the exposed rebar ends. Our neighbors had a better cap system that was actually made for covering exposed rebar but they aren't really necessary IMHO.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)
BitterDan

Postby Dork » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:05 pm

Depending on what you're trying to hold down, rebar may not be necessary. While you're at HD, stop by the roofing section and check out the 12" roofing nails. They're much easier to deal with all around. The only thing they don't do well is resist upward motion, so stick to rebar if you have something likely to get pulled straight up by the wind.
Dork

Postby tinkereese13 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:26 am

We purchased ours at Lowe's here in reno. It was already cut into 16 inch rods. It was really cheap, we got about 12 of them for about $8. Probably more expensive now, not sure.
"Follow the directions and directly you will be directed into the right direction" - Lewis Carroll Alice in Wonderland
tinkereese13

Postby Jordan 10-E » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:02 am

Just get it at Home Depot. 2' minimum. 3' is good. I know it has been said already just adding my two cents.

Vice grips are best way to pull out but I have something to add to make it even easier. Before trying to pull it out knock the sides of the rebar with a hammer. It will break up the dirt around the hole all the way down to the bottom and makes it simple to pull out.
10E
Jordan 10-E

Burning Since: 2002

Return to Get Involved!