What Where When Guide

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

What Where When Guide

Postby Catwoman69y2k » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:30 am

Okay, I know that the easy answer is to await info in the mailing list "Jack Rabbit Speaks" but so far nothing has even MENTIONED this.

Back in October, I put myself onto the volunteer list, filled out the questionaire and eveything, stating my primary interest (namely, helping with the Who What When Where Guide) and I got the confirmation email regardin that my volunteer profile was in the database or something

3 months later....nothing. I keep my ears opened for JRS hoping to see any information about the guide (since that seems to be what every burner says about getitng involved) and still nothing.

If anyone knows about if the what,when,where guide is closed to first-time volunteers, please let me know. I can understand that not ALL volunteer jobs can be allowed to first-time volunteers.

However if first time volunteers can apply to help with the guide, does anyone have other ideas of what additional steps I can do to try and show my interest?

Lost in the system?
Kat
Catwoman69y2k

Postby Toolmaker » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:33 am

JRS list subscriction is something you have to do yourself. Its not the same as filling out volunteer questionaire. Usually if your vol. form shows something related to a need someone will email you directly or send a bulk email out to ask for activity specific volunteers. Some email providers have treated BM emails as spam if memory serves. A Gmail account will make sure you get all your email and the chance to sort suspected spam.

Jack Rabbit Speaks - Announce List
This is the official list of the Burning Man Project and it is highly recommended that you subscribe if you plan to attend Burning Man.

The Jack Rabbit Speaks Announcement List is a periodic update distributed by the Burning Man Communications Department. Currently there are over 60,000 individuals on the list with numbers growing each day. This is the MOST up-to-date communication, and is a one-way distribution list with posts no more than once a week.

To join, send an email to:
bman-announce-subscribe(at)burningman(dot)com. Your initial request will require a confirmation response in order to protect you from unwanted email.

What where when is different from JRS, the guide is part of the moop given to ya when you get there. They give ya a map too.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Catwoman69y2k » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:26 am

[quote="Toolmaker"]JRS list subscriction is something you have to do yourself. Its not the same as filling out volunteer questionaire. Usually if your vol. form shows something related to a need someone will email you directly or send a bulk email out to ask for activity specific volunteers. Some email providers have treated BM emails as spam if memory serves. A Gmail account will make sure you get all your email and the chance to sort suspected spam.

[quote]
Jack Rabbit Speaks - Announce List
This is the official list of the Burning Man Project and it is highly recommended that you subscribe if you plan to attend Burning Man.

The Jack Rabbit Speaks Announcement List is a periodic update distributed by the Burning Man Communications Department. Currently there are over 60,000 individuals on the list with numbers growing each day. This is the MOST up-to-date communication, and is a one-way distribution list with posts no more than once a week.

To join, send an email to:
bman-announce-subscribe(at)burningman(dot)com. Your initial request will require a confirmation response in order to protect you from unwanted email.
[/quote]

What where when is different from JRS, the guide is part of the moop given to ya when you get there. They give ya a map too.[/quote]

Yeah. I know the difference between the JRS and the What when Guide but Im talking about finding information on how to help for this years guide. Everyone has said that JRS is the answer for finding out when volunteers for particular aspects are needed (including the W/W/W guide). Havent seen a thing from that end.

I do check my gmail bulk folder on a regular basis but yeah, nothing from the volunteer team in a direct email has ended up there. I dont know if it is still just too early in the game to receive offers for volunteer spaces yet.

*shrugs*
Catwoman69y2k

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:50 am

As I recall, there's the option somewhere while volenteering to get on the specific email lists for the areas you are interested in. I don't know when they start putting together the WWW team, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's late spring. Right now there's nothing to do, and I don't think you can even submit items yet. Figure out who's in charge of it and send them a polite message.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby spanky » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:24 am

The W/W/W is derived from the Playa Calendar. All you need to do to get your event listed in the Guide is to submit it to the Playa Calendar online. I moderate the entries every few days. That's all there is to it!

http://playacal.burningman.com

~Spanky
PlayaCal Moderator
spanky

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:41 am

So, um Spanky, do you need any help compiling this thing? How would someone go about becoming part of that help. There were a whole lot of people who felt that last year's calendar was sub-optimal and were very eager to help. Any chance that they actually can? What is the procedure for doing so?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby spanky » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:59 am

Actually, I don't, but thanks! This year we are definitely correcting the problems with last years. We've already had a few meetings and have our final one Tuesday. It will be much better this year, promise. If not, you can personally come Spank me.

~Spanky
spanky

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:07 am

Spank you with a rolled up WWW guide?
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby spanky » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:14 am

UH huh!

I know this is O/T, but didn't there used to be an excellent "lists" section of the ePlaya? My searches don't find it. Can someone point me to it? I'm helping a friend prepare who's coming from Austria.

~Spanky
spanky

Postby gaminwench » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:32 am

Trilo has the good lists, search him....
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Return to Get Involved!