HEEEEEELP

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

HEEEEEELP

Postby SpaceCowboy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:56 pm

I CAN'T STAND IT I AM GOING CRAZY!!!!!

I am a first time burner and all I can think about is getting on the playa. It seems to occupy my every thought. And there are so many months to go.

Am I losing it or could this be the norm? The norm? I hate the thought of being normal.

Anybody else have this same problem?
SpaceCowboy

Postby Dork » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:13 pm

Normal is not a useful concept around these parts. Is it normal for people about to attend for the first time? Probably. Is it normal for any random person to actually WANT to subject themselves to the freaks, heat, expense, etc? No.

The only danger is in getting too set in your expectations of what it will be like. You'll arrive and things will be different. This upsets some people. Keep your mind open and you'll be in good shape.
Dork

Postby Archantael » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:31 pm

Your post reminds me of how I was back in '02 when things started to come together so I could make it to the playa.
If you think it's bad now it's only going to get worse.

Dork's advice echoes that of many others on here who have been there, done that. Keep an open mind, leave your expectations behind...you'll hear that all over the place.
I'll add one to that: Don't be afraid. Be it exploring, trying new stuff...for me when I broke out of my comfort zone and tried it, did it, whatever, I had some life changing experiences.

One last thing...I hope you keep posting up to and then after the event. Seeing the event through the eyes of someone who's going for the first time can be just what a slightly burned out 5 timer needs to rekindle an interest in the event. And the posts would be a breath of fresh air the eplaya sorely needs.
Archantael

Postby SpaceCowboy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:12 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I am trying to keep an open mind and I believe I will not be disappointed or upset with what I find once I arrive. I really do fill as if I am coming home even though I have never been there. I can’t explain it. I guess I have always been a hippy and have secretly longed for the type of community that BM has to offer. I have been in remission the last 30 years playing the role of the responsible engineer. Well I am ready to let me freak flag fly and it is going to fly high!! I don’t believe there is nothing I am not going to try.

The only thing I am afraid of is going their alone. BRC is way too far out for my wife and my friends think I am losing my mind for attending. I will know not a single person when I get there, but in a way, I guess that will make it more interesting. I know I am going to arrive as early as possible so I can witness the city develop.
SpaceCowboy

Postby capjbadger » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:23 pm

It is very possible to feel alone in a crowd of 40,000...

I think you'll do alright. Introduce yourself to neighbors. Bring gifts of bacon and booze. You'll be just fine. :)
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby SpaceCowboy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:34 pm

What is up with the bacon? I see a lot of reference to bacon.

Also what is with the shirtcockers? I have seen some blogs where these guys are really getting blasted.

I don't slam doors that hard.

Isn't part of BM being able to do what you want without fear of critism? I know one thing for sure I will not likely walk around with just a shirt on and no pants.

Makes we wonder what else is taboo.
SpaceCowboy

Postby Cabana Springs » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:58 pm

Welcome to the Not Best Kept Secret of the Eplaya - Hypocrisy!
Filing taxes is not truely voluntary!
Cabana Springs

Postby BAS » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:48 pm

SpaceCowboy wrote:What is up with the bacon? I see a lot of reference to bacon.

Also what is with the shirtcockers? I have seen some blogs where these guys are really getting blasted.

I don't slam doors that hard.

Isn't part of BM being able to do what you want without fear of critism? I know one thing for sure I will not likely walk around with just a shirt on and no pants.

Makes we wonder what else is taboo.

What? You don't like bacon or something? :D

Early on in the week last year (my first year) I came across the shirtcocker rally, being lead by an attractive woman. Then the pants cannon artcar came along and started firing pants at the rally. That was one of the most memorable parts of the week! (And, before you ask, NO, I did NOT take off my pants! There are certain parts of my body I do not wish to have sunburned!)

Well, selling stuff is taboo....

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:47 pm

dope
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:52 pm

WTF everyone loves Bacon.

[quote]Makes me wonnder what else I cant do?[/quote]

quick primer on eplaya - correct me if im wrong but you cant
1. try to find a love companion on eplay publicly - seen it tried, and shot down plenty
2. sell stuff
later
mdmf007

Postby skeetsh00ter » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:40 pm

spacecowboy, i'm in exactly the same position that you are...it seems all i do now is daydream about the event...i have sketches of my shade structure ideas scattered throughout my class notes...
skeetsh00ter

Postby SpaceCowboy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:38 pm

I love bacon....I could live on bacon. I was just wondering what is up with bacon. Guess I should bring some bacon. How to win friends and influence people…..bring bacon!!

Cabana Springs Bummer

Dope??

I almost wish I could forget about it for a few months.
SpaceCowboy

Postby gyre » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:09 am

There is no place easier to meet people.

I can't remember what I expected anymore.
But much of it was gone before I could make it out.
My only regret.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

You know your a Burner When....

Postby scotto » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:31 am

You take the weird big bubble wrap stuff that your mail order computer equipment was packed in (flopak CellO air cushions to be precise) and wrap it around your body trying to come up with a fashion concept

Most of your camp is comprised of items bought at Home Depot and not REI

Someone says 'PVC' and you think 'Shade Structure' before 'Sprinkler Pipe'

You have Playa Dust in a salt shaker on your table as a condiment in case you get homesick for Black Rock City

You go to the beach and only you have a bottle of SPF 30 encrusted with playa dust and not sand

Sneakers in a dryer sound suspiciously like the Techno Music you heard on Burn Night

You have some Burner friends in a non )^( context and you have to ask them what their real names are to introduce them to your mundane friends

You salivate when the local gas station has Propane on sale

You own a bunch of 20# Propane tanks and *no* gas grill

You're much better prepared than most of your family/friends to handle the situation when the water or power goes out

Your mundane friends come to you first to borrow a tent or camping equipment

You get more email from the )^( list than the Spammers

You're in the store loading up at the afterXmas sale with strings of LED lights and they're NOT for Xmas, but 'cos "those would be great for the Village" and the the store clerk goes 'huh?'

You start wondering when tickets will be going on sale, to an event that's 8 months away.

You explain why you got a trailer hitch installed on your compact car, cos "it'll be a great way to haul stuff to Playa del Fuego & other burns" and yer friends go "uh huh, okay..." You try and explain *any* of these threads to someone outside this world...

You have several brand new 12V batteries sitting around, when there's nothing wrong with the perfectly good battery in your car You go to a park and find yourself picking up even garbage and moop that others left behind, because, well, "leave no trace" ya know...(true story)

Your new source of cool ideas in fresh gear for club wear & parties is the Army Navy Surplus Store. And you seem to have spent more money in that store over the past six months than in any mall dept type store you can think of.

You are standing in line at 3:00 a.m. in a Wal-Mart in Reno, waiting to pay for batteries, plastic sheeting, 12 gallons of water and a bicycle... and so are the half dozen people in line in front of you. (True story from BM 2001)

You walk into a Home Depot at 11:55 at night and you see two women and a guy buying 6 rolls of duct tape, 200' of rope, 12 1/2" rebar stakes 100' of PVC piping, and no pipe dope for the PVC

You go to the Louvre and wonder what all of the various "masterpieces" would look like wreathed in glorious flames You find yourself attending an anticensorship rally at a radically free art event!

You can't get enough of CNN and Fox News and the War in Iraq not because of the war coverage but because the terrain and dust storms look so much like BRC that you get homesick

A lone electrical tower in the middle of nowhere on Interstate 5 takes on new physical significance

Getting up everyday and putting on clothes seems unnatural You really never go camping but have way more camping gear than any of your friends

You start saying things like, " this one time at Burning Man" ... A la American Pie's " One time at band camp" refrain You start lusting after the deluxe sun showers at REI You start collecting weird objects that just seem playaesque

Wearing ram's horns to a party seems like the most natural thing in the world

Forgetting that introducing myself as Miss Erika sounds odd in California. If this were Georgia...sure

You have to define a "Smut Puddle" to someone Getting your oil changed at Jiffy Lube makes you giggle & then get all serious. Somehow working in the phrases: get in/get off/get out to the perplexed technician

Going "home" takes on a whole new meaning in August

You're the only one in the entire Reno Hilton parking lot with a cargo van (filled with camp trash to boot!)

Watching the acrobatics at Cirque Du Soleil makes you wish you were running around doing cartwheels in Black Rock City

You cave in the top of your Suburban and you smile.... because it was just enough wood to make your ideal structure

You smile because the Snow pack has been very deep and the playa has begun to flood.... and you pray it is enough to keep the dust down You care more for the people you met at the playa then the ones you live next to

You stop explaining Burning Man to people and just say.....I'm one of those.....and smile when even one says back.....so am I!

You consider the epithet 'Freak' as a compliment.

The employees at your local DIY Warehouse are on a first name basis, inquire as to what project you're up to, go out of their way to help.....and ask to see pictures!

The traffic report tells of a 'Carbeque' and you know that the only real one is Gigsville's Fire Pit!

You know that a gasoline engine powered Radio Flyer Wagon and Toilet are not just the Hot Wheels you can buy at the store.

You don't know the Mundane Names of most of your friends. And if you do, you still don't use it, and didn't know their Mundane Name until
years later!

You go to a techno/DJ party and you wonder where all the costumes and all the naked people are and why everyone looks and acts so irrepressively NORMAL... and WHY doesn't anyone else notice that this is going on?

People don't understand why you just "give things away"..... or pick up litter

Water becomes your drink of choice and you always subconsciously note whether or not you "piss clear"

Your wife asks to borrow your dress! or Your wife thinks the skirts you bought were for her! or You are heard arguing with another man about who's skirt is more manly!

You keep multiple sports bottles of water stored in our fridge and in your car. And you don't live within hundreds of miles of a desert.

The wallpaper on your screen is shot you took of a piece of untouched playa from 5 feet in the air

You'd drive 3 hours on I-95 through crappy traffic just to have a beer with somebody you camped near two years ago.

You go to properly clean out your monster backpack round about the end of September find a few scraps of paper with email addresses written on them. It's bad enough you cannot remember one thing about how you got them, so you email "Hi, I think I might have met you on the Playa, can you tell me any more?"

You subconsciously break your non-BM friends down into two categories: Those that could appreciate and involve themselves and become Burners, and the others.

the car/bus ride home from work is no longer a chore, but an uninterrupted time to flush those daily little brainfarts out into full-fledged BM ideas. Physics be damned! (As an example. From someone whistling the Smurf song down a hallway at work and getting stuck in my head. The drive today lead me to a thought about an art car / bus with plush mushroom stools, televisions and speakers playing Smurf reruns. The front of the vehicle would of course have to be a 15 foot paper mache Dopey the Smurf with the driver just behind Dopey's head)
Burning Man is a Participatory Sport! Lead by Example!
scotto

Camp Name: PolyParadise

Re: HEEEEEELP

Postby madmatt » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:43 am

SpaceCowboy wrote:I CAN'T STAND IT I AM GOING CRAZY!!!!!

I am a first time burner and all I can think about is getting on the playa. It seems to occupy my every thought. And there are so many months to go.

Am I losing it or could this be the norm? The norm? I hate the thought of being normal.

Seek out the Space Cowboys! IMHO they bring the top notch dance groove to the Playa with the famous Unimog!

http://www.spacecowboys.org/

madmatt

Postby Badger » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:36 am

All bow before the unimog.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:31 pm

This is an excellent place to not take yourself too seriously.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Cabana Springs » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:04 pm

SpaceCowboy wrote:I love bacon....I could live on bacon. I was just wondering what is up with bacon. Guess I should bring some bacon. How to win friends and influence people…..bring bacon!!

Cabana Springs Bummer

Dope??

I almost wish I could forget about it for a few months.

Early on in the week last year (my first year) I came across the shirtcocker rally, being lead by an attractive woman. Then the pants cannon artcar came along and started firing pants at the rally.

Hey - I think that it is Great that a group of people feel that they have the right and feel compelled to demean and berate a person for having a different sense of style then themselves.

Maybe we should shoot Art Scholarships to those that create "ugly" art or maybe Music Lessons to those bands that aren't "up to par." Maybe we should club all the DJ's that don't spin the music we like or throw masks to the homely people. Maybe we should shoot cans of Slim Fast at the fat people - it's all the same.

None of it makes any sense to me. Everytime I here about the pants cannon, I get really really pissed off. It's not funny it's bully'ng.
Filing taxes is not truely voluntary!
Cabana Springs

Postby SpaceCowboy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:09 pm

You are all full of it........insight I mean. I really like the "You Know You are a Burner When.."

Thanks for your thoughts etc.

Cabana Springs - Sorry to bring up a sore subject. I must agree with you in that it seems hypercritical to attend BM with such an attitude. They don't get it I guess. Listen to me talking like an old timer Burner and I am a virgin.
SpaceCowboy

Postby gyre » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:29 pm

Don't worry about the out of uniform crap.
Some people have attended for years without wearing a costume other than the classic "burning man guy" desert protection look.

And some people always got "it", with or without burning man.

Welcome home.
You'll need EVERYTHING!
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby SpaceCowboy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:05 pm

I was not aware there is a "uniform". No, I am not worring about what I wear. Comfort is my goal. But I am not going to wear a shirt with no pants.
SpaceCowboy

Re: HEEEEEELP

Postby flightless » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:15 pm

SpaceCowboy wrote:I am a first time burner and all I can think about is getting on the playa. It seems to occupy my every thought. And there are so many months to go...

I have it, but it doesn't feel like a problem to me! I'm excited. I've been having dreams that take place at some fantasy conception of Burning Man. Everything has started to look like potential art or costume materials to me. It's improving my winter immensely.
flightless

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:52 pm

SpaceCowboy wrote:I was not aware there is a "uniform". No, I am not worring about what I wear. Comfort is my goal. But I am not going to wear a shirt with no pants.

How about pants with no shirt? or none at all and a cod piece? or a bow tie on the little guy? I can honestly say just when you think you have seen it all - you havent!!!
Bacon Rules!!!
later
mdmf007

Postby madmatt » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:52 pm

...last year...I came across the shirtcocker rally...berate a person for having a different sense of style...

Shirtcocking is not a "sense of style!" It's evil and should be punished by pants-firing-squad.

Down with shirt-cocking!

(Putting on flame-proof goggles)
madmatt

Postby SpaceCowboy » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:17 am

I love it...... SHIRT-COCKING!!!!!
SpaceCowboy

Postby CapSmashy » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:52 am

Hi kids, my name Bob. Bob the Friendly Sausage Man...

and I have something very important I need to talk to you about.

You see kids, I have been giving other kids just like you my hot, tasty sausage for years. And I gotta tell you, nothing lights up my face in a big 'ol Bob smile like seeing one of you kids get my big 'ol Bob sausage for the very first time. However, there's a lot of talk lately around here has 'ol Bob a little worried though. Worried about you kids and your futures.

What's 'ol Bob worried about, you ask? Well kids, I'll tell ya. I keep hearing things about bacon in these forums. Lots of talk about bacon. Now, its not like 'ol Bob to sugar coat things because Bob knows you kids are smart. So, to get right down to it, bacon is evil. That's right kids, bacon is evil. In fact, every time you hear the word bacon I want you to see this in your mind:

So come on kids wrap your lips around 'ol Bob's sausage and remember, don't trust bacon, because bacon will sneak into your house at night and kill your dog.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby madmatt » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:21 am

CapSmashy wrote:bacon is evil.

Sausage is OK, but bacon is not evil!!!

Mwahahaha! Google fight Sausage vs. Bacon = bacon is victorious!!!!

Bacon= 42,000,000
Sausage= 19,500,000

madmatt

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:32 pm

I think someone needs to wrap his sausage with some of that bacon.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Jamm'in » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:08 pm

mmmmmmm...........saucon!?
Jamm'in

Re: You know your a Burner When....

Postby Blackbird » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:48 pm

scotto wrote:You take the weird big bubble wrap stuff that your mail order computer equipment was packed in (flopak CellO air cushions to be precise) and wrap it around your body trying to come up with a fashion concept

I've always done this. The other day I was getting out of the shower and had the towel wrapped around me ~just so~ and I spent a good five or ten minutes modeling it to myself ("Hey, I should really sew this into a dress).

You go to a park and find yourself picking up even garbage and moop that others left behind, because, well, "leave no trace" ya know...(true story)

I honestly never understood how litter becomes litter in the first place. Who just drops it on the ground? It's honestly not that difficult to find a garbage can. Even if it is, that's no reason to just say "oops the wind. . ." and walk away. :x As long as its not icky wet garbage, I generally pick up anything I see on the ground.

The rest, don't apply to me yet. I still haven't been!
Blackbird

Next

Return to Get Involved!