Idle bike Tech-hands, seeking work on playa

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Idle bike Tech-hands, seeking work on playa

Postby Pr0ffesser » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:00 pm

After a hiatus of several years I am able to once again make the trek to black rock. In that time I have acquired skills that I would like to put to use if at all possible. I remember there being a camp that repaired and did minor fixes on ailing playafied bikes. Is this a BM organized camp or participant generated, and if so how would I go about contacting the right people to find out how I can put in some time getting my hands dirty.
Pr0ffesser

Postby Atar » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:41 am

My camp, DeMaTerial used to do this (perhaps even when it was Dematerialiasation (sp?)). We've switched over to other projects though. Ow! And there is the fact that BM takes about 2 containers full of bikes out of the desert each year, maybe drop them an email.

OR! You could strap your kit onto yourself and help people wherever you find them.
Burning with inspiration! )'(
Atar

Re: Idle bike Tech-hands, seeking work on playa

Postby wedeliver » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:46 am

Pr0ffesser wrote:After a hiatus of several years I am able to once again make the trek to black rock. In that time I have acquired skills that I would like to put to use if at all possible. I remember there being a camp that repaired and did minor fixes on ailing playafied bikes. Is this a BM organized camp or participant generated, and if so how would I go about contacting the right people to find out how I can put in some time getting my hands dirty.

http://www.borrachosybicicletas.org
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby fatcog » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:26 pm

ByB repair camp will be doing things a little differently this year.
It would be a VERY GOOD IDEA to MAKE SURE YOUR BIKE is 100% mechanically functional prior to taking it to BRC in August, ie not having to rely on a bunch of drunx at the playa to get your bike playa ready.
You wouldn't want to be surprised that there are no public bike repair services......
fatcog

Postby mdmf007 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:52 pm

Proffessor -

Thats a great gift - I had to visit the 3 O'clock promenade twice during the event for some bike repairs.

Just a guess here - but with a population of 40,000 I bet at least 1 in 3 have a bike, so thats gotta around 13,300 bikes. ( I bet its more)

Lots of opportunities for flats, bike chains broken, bent rims, loose bolts, etc.

later all
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Return to Get Involved!