Help us build a RAINFOREST on the playa in 2007

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Help us build a RAINFOREST on the playa in 2007

Postby kikidelosfeliz » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:17 pm

Hi folks -

Anyone who would like to be involved in building a rainforest out there, your assistance would be most welcome. This is way early to be thinking about 2007, but I know some of you are.

Carpenters, papier mache artists, painters, designers, production folks, bring your skills.

We are in the Silverlake/Los Feliz CA area.
cognitive dissident
kikidelosfeliz

Postby Jamm'in » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:45 am

Yea, Ill admit Im one of those......already thinking about the time on the Playa. Although its my first year, Im already counting the days down. Any who, I saw that you might need some help. A rain forest sounds awesome, great way to have a Oasis in the middle of a desert. I have carpentry experience, among other skills. If you still need the help and things go through, Ill be here.
Jamm'in

Postby spectabillis » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:49 pm

indoor?

but i guess you already figured out a way to mist the area with a high daily average rainfall.
spectabillis

Postby robotland » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:47 pm

Hmmm....There WAS a great rainforest dome in the movie Silent Running... and Joan Baez (known BRC visitor) DID sing the theme...
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:32 pm

I wonder what grey water does to tropical plants.

later
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby robotland » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:24 am

Maybe one of those Star Wars nerds that keep bringing the "landspeeders" would build a "vaporator" or two.

Perhaps enclosed evap ponds with solar stills to provide clean condensate would work to supplement the rainforest supply. I'm also sure that a number of folks (myself included) would be willing to pack an extra gallon or two to contribute in exchange for a chance to chill in the green for a spell. The rainforest could even be a "soft" version of the Scrap Eden project, utilizing scrap fabric, plastic and other waste materials to make flora and fauna.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby pinemom » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:29 am

hahahaha...to early to plan next yr! hahahaaahaha
we've been at it since the last supper Monday sept. 4 on playa, never to early!
yes, i too would love to contribute some foilage to your cause! as we get closer...and provided that your a registered theme camp? Give us your address on playa on where to bestow gifts to the rainforest!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Bob » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:31 am

Lush Camp II. I can't wait.

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Palm Trees and Other Beach STuff

Postby EricMagic » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:03 pm

I like the pic of the Lush Camp and also the idea for a Rain Forest Camp.

Love those fake Palm Trees in the Desert.

Can anyone tell me more about that picture of Lush camp posted by Bob? Where did they get those palm trees? Can I find out how they made those palm trees?

If there are any items or persons that may not fit into the Rain Forest Camp and may instead be more of beach focus, please think about referring those items or people to the Beach-Paradise Theme Camp for 2007.

Any help will be appreciated.
<>
Relax, Be Bold, Dream, Live Large, Elevate
<>
EricMagic

Postby Badger » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:03 pm

Love those fake Palm Trees in the Desert.

Until you have to clean up after them.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby AntiM » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:58 pm

Yeah, I am curious if the rainforest is going to be enclosed in a dome or otherwise contained. Seems very moopy otherwise.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Jamm'in » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:10 pm

That lush camp looks pretty sweet. Something like that would be fun to start with, and just work/upgrade objects throughout the camp.
Regarding the tropical plants, I dont think anyone would be willing to bring exspenssive , rare, plants. If we could make them, that would save the hassle on watering??
Any other ideas??
Jamm'in

Postby regynalonglank » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:43 am

well i don't know nothin bout none o that. but i can tell you that kiki is good people. love that grrrl! and if girlfriend says she's gonna build a rainforest then bring your umbrella, that's all i gotta say about that :) ok, i'm going back to the bar now.
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum
regynalonglank

a rain forest -

Postby mikefisher » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:16 pm

a rain forest in a desert, is like a needle in a haystack, or like a marshmellow in a sweet factory, would love to help but unfortunately, am in need of a serious hair translplant so if you like come on over to my camp, and visit you will recognise me by my noddy suit and noddy car and noddy nose I will me palying in a sandbox with the other children and if we have time which i thik not we will yes we will come on over and be a rain drop in your forest of eternal damnation chilli
mikefisher

Misting in the rainforest

Postby flatfish » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:09 pm

I am sure there is more clean water available for a project as this. Last year we took 50 Gallons home we never needed. Tryed to give it away on Friday but no takers.
flatfish

Re: Misting in the rainforest

Postby Dork » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:19 pm

flatfish wrote:I am sure there is more clean water available for a project as this. Last year we took 50 Gallons home we never needed. Tryed to give it away on Friday but no takers.

That's the problem, though - plenty of water available starting Friday, little before then. Most people don't monitor their available water closely and don't realize they have too much until it's too late.

I had been working on a sort of jungle oasis built from recycled materials, but we decided to go with a different project instead. PM me if you want more details. I'd love it if someone else ran with the idea.
Dork

Postby robotland » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:39 am

Seems as though posting a request for folks to bring a small water contribution ought to result in having plenty. In a best-case scenario....hmmm...both lower-tier ticket levels are sold out already, so that's at least 10,000 online people (if each bought two tickets) that MIGHT see a posted water-request. If each of those people only brought a single small bottle of water you'd have to skip the rainforest and make a freakin' aquarium instead.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:33 am

Lush Camp II.

Let a thousand palm trees wave!

Make my desert places green!

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

rainforest recycle

Postby kikidelosfeliz » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:33 pm

I think the idea is not live plants, but papier mache or stuff that would burn leaving no moop. wood, paint, papier mache leaves/animals, some misters and shade and seats, just a small oasis in the desert. Haven't done anything formal like register yet, but if anyone wants to collaborate, lemme know. Love the idea of getting small water donations. Anyone got an idea on how to build/install/operate misters?
cognitive dissident
kikidelosfeliz

Postby robotland » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:27 am

Big misting system plus lots of papier mache' equals..."visit camp EARLY in the week."

Yeah, I know, you can COAT stuff. But then you have to worry about what you're burning.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Ron » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:30 am

mdmf007 wrote:I wonder what grey water does to tropical plants.

later

Well it kills simple sod dead so I don't imagine it would be good for much else in the vegetable world...

Ron
Ron

Postby gina bear » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:50 am

Liken the plan.... I'd love to work on your project especially if you need help off playa. Im going on a 3 month long adventure this summer and im trying to get involved with as many different projects as possible. so if you know of any other mad projects i can do point me in the right direction.
:D
A fluffy ball of mentalness
gina bear

Postby mojo » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:45 pm

We put up fake palm trees made of brown PVC trunks with big felt palm leaves with a stiff wire "spine" sewn into each leaf. These have been so durable that we have used them as camp deco for 5 or 6 years now. They are easy to take apart for transport and no moop.
mojo

Postby Lifeisshort » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:25 pm

I love the idea when it includes live plants, but not so interested when they are fake (paper machie ?) I vote for Live plants and would love to help
Lifeisshort

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:53 pm

down here in south florida alot of places have large fans with a small mister, and they work really good. you could use an aquarium pump and a small nozzle on the hose near the center of the fan.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby falk » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:11 pm

I think the OP was talking about using fake plants rather than live ones, so no watering system needed.

IIRC, Lush Camp was a moop disaster, and the cause of the no-live-plants policy. If you must have live plants, keep them inside and contained.

I did succesfully build an indoor oasis in a geodesic dome (got approved before the no-plants policy), but it didn't have that many plants in it. Plants are difficult to ship in quantity.

If the dome is decently sealed, with a plastic floor, the moop is nicely contained.
falk

Postby Lifeisshort » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:09 pm

Great Idea...a large Dome, live plants...an "Oasis on the Playa". I am fairly certain that if the pots were wrapped in plastic this would prevent the soil from drying out directly, keeping in mind that heat tolerant plants would be a must and frequent water necessary.Most importantly is keeping the plants out of the direct sunlight, this makes all of the difference. Sounds like a great camp! Throw in some beautiful people, good music, and stocked bar and this maybe a really cool place to hangout and meet new peoplel.
Lifeisshort

Dandelions???

Postby muzlin » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:36 am

I would love to bring greens to the Green Man!! I'd like to see if many flats of dandelions would thrive and provide fresh raw sustenance.

Dandelion Medicine, by Brigitte Mars is about 100 pages of how dandelions can feed, detox, intox, heal, delight, aerate soil, andonandonandoandon. Such cheery and stalwart little plants available to almost everyone everywhere. Free nutrition and health. Screw the man (not our beloved man, that other one, George Bush's uncle/cousin/clone) and the diabolical diabetic druggy depression he's trying to shove down our throats. Dandelions are Free and so are we.

Oh, my. Ahem. Just a moment. Let me compose myself. There. That's better. As I was saying, Brigitte's book is out of print, but I can try to round up a few extra copies. And Brigitte sez she's going to be on the Playa this year. So perhaps she would stop by and bless the humble little project that woudl save the World. Opps, slipping into madness again!!
Wahay Guru
muzlin

Postby Toolmaker » Fri May 11, 2007 5:41 pm

The design of my new dome idea would be great for your project if ya wanted to use live plants or fake ones that aren't affected by moisture. I found some garden irrigation stuff that would mist nicely. The stuff thats out there is really easy to put together and isn't too pricey. In brief.. Canvas dome with rubberized floor. Small 1/4 inch plastic/vinyl/pvc waterlines around the dome. A bunch of the 360 deg. mist nozzles and a small submerged pump. Cooler water can be used so nice cold water is in the air. Ice added as needed to keep water supply bucket cold. Looks like the plumbing and whatnot may run 200-300 bucks to cover a larger dome.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Return to Get Involved!