Check out Black Rock Desert on Google Earth

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Check out Black Rock Desert on Google Earth

Postby Smoxalot 420 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:07 pm

I just found this neat new tool called Google Earth that uses Nasa satellite picture to make a comprehensive map of the world. If you go to Gerlach and scroll up to BRD, you can see BRC, apparently being set up or torn down. (The center camp tent is only partly erected, for instance.) You can also see remnants of the roads of previous BRCs. Interesting to see how BRC moves around the playa from year to year. I just figured that this was interesting enough to share. Let your friends know, too.

See ya at the Burn !!!
Smoxalot 420

Postby capjbadger » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:47 pm

If it's the same image I think you're talking about, that's an old one from last year. Teardown I believe.
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:47 pm

Um... I thought it was 2003. Or 2002. Darn. It's not last years, tho.

The Kronos sat did last years dring the event, and will again this year. Can't wait.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Gravity Mike » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:51 pm

I thought that photo was during early set-up, but I don't really know, and I don't know the year. Some from my camp insist that this photo is from 2006, that is, this is the city being built right now and the photo was taken in like the last week. I don't think so...

There was a thread last year talking about some of this stuff:
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=10030&highlight=

Also, there's another excellent satellite photo during the event: http://www.spaceimaging.com/gallery/ioweek/archive/05-11-06/index.htm This must be the Kronos image that BBS spoke of.

And plus Black Rock City NV is on Yahoo maps (also discussed in last year's thread)...

Gravity
Gravity Mike

Postby Smoxalot 420 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:01 am

Dont quote me on this , but I was told that Google Earth just update dtheir photos in the last couple days. If that is true, this would be this yr's setup. Anyways, kinds cool and kinda creepy (in an Enemy of the State sort of way) to see that.
(After looking at the picture from last year, I can comfirm that the GEarth picture is not from this year. It's the same one that was linked in last year's topic. Oh well.)

See ya at the burn!!

Come visit us at 4:20 Hope.
Smoxalot 420

Postby capjbadger » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:04 am

Nope, that's the same photo of the site that's been up for many months.
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Kinetic IV » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:09 am

Google Earth did update many of their images and bookmarks lately. But the playa image looks the same to me and I check it every day along with other stuff on there.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:31 pm

I think the satellite gots dust on it.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Re: Check out Black Rock Desert on Google Earth

Postby vannilla » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:01 pm

When are they going to update Google Earth? I've recently discovered Google Earth. It's great fun to look around, but I find that the images are about 3 years old, as my house isn't even built yet according to the site, etc. Anyone know when they might update?
vannilla

Burning Since: 2014

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:14 am

Google earth or street view?

Not that that matters. They will update when they thing the value gained is worth the cost. I suspect that street view is constantly upgraded but the area covered means it will get there when it gets there.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:05 am

For technical or customer support issues with any of Google's products, you'd probably have better luck in checking with Google. :wink:
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to Get Involved!