Cancer Survivors Thread

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Postby can't sit still » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:40 pm

Heart, current research indicates that you are correct. The digestive system is now referred to as the biggest piece of the immune system.

The traditional treatment for "bugs" was/is wormwood. Wonder how it got that name. I take it every 6 mo. or so. I've given it to people now and then who have unexplained GI problems. It's amazing how often it fixes them right up.
I had 1/2 my intestines taken out at age 3 mo. , so I have more than my share of problems. They didn't use anesthesia because they felt that infants didn't feel pain.
I spent most of 15 years on the road in "interesting" countries. I managed to avoid malaria and hepatitis but I got my fair share of bugs. I got so sick in India/Nepal that I lost 40 lbs and my hair stopped growing.

The US has far more bugs than anyone cares to admit. I read somewhere that 5% of the people in Aspen have Giardia. I've talked to doctors that believe that we don't even have giardia in the US.
It's really important to stay away from sugars so that you don't feed the bugs.
The jury is still out on the effect of cancer from electromagnetic exposure.
"Table 1 Cancer incidence vs. exposure to electromagnetic fields"

Occupation
Relative Exposure
Cancer

cable splicers
highest
2X overall cancer rate

central office
next highest
3X prostrate cancer; 2X oral; some male breast cancer

I'll catch shit if I don't quote the site. http://www.utexas.edu/courses/bio301d/T ... /Text.html

It seems that almost everything causes cancer.
Dan
I don't post things because I believe that they are the absolute truth. I post them because I believe that they should be considered.
can't sit still

Postby diane o'thirst » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:26 pm

Here's an update...

Saw my oncologist twice today. First was a regular doctor visit, second was my radiation session.

Surprisingly enough (touch wood), the radiation isn't really affecting me (yet). I've had one bout of diarrhea which took only one dose of Immodium to eighty-six. In fact, the radiation guys praised me today: I'm always on time, and I get on and off the table in record time. They told me they have patients that take anywhere up to 8 minutes to get on and off, but I'm on and off like it's nothing.

However, I'm starting to backslide, healthwise. Since I have so much going on, it's hard to pin any one side-effect/symptom on any one thing. The fatigue I used to suffer pre-op is coming back, and this is with plenty of nourishment, iron supplements and hydration. The nurse thinks most of my weight is water-gain. Eyesight is starting to go in my left eye but that may be my nearsightedness progressing.

Hot flashes are either getting so prolonged or come together so rapidly that pretty much, I'm sweating. The fatigue may be due to that. The hot flashes come from not having the female equipment anymore. The œstrogen patch is holding up; what's left of the plumbing is doing well. We tested for a yeast infection but that came back negative. They're talking about putting me on œstrogen pills on top of the patch, but not quite yet.

I've been getting dizzy spells. It's not from jumping up or moving fast, and it's only recently appeared, like this morning. I got up around 3:30 a.m. to use the facilities and refill my water jug, and had a hard time balancing. I staggered right. I didn't fall, though, it wasn't that bad. My oncologist is rather concerned and so am I; he said that it's rare for colon cancer to hit the brain but I'm not taking anything for granted. This case has been pretty extraordinary so far so I'm hedging my bets right, left 'n centre. The possibility of brain cancer is scaring me silly but I'm trying not to think about that. We're keeping an eye on it.

That's about it...more updates as I get them...
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby diane o'thirst » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:02 pm

Allopathy: Cancer isn't a parasite, it's your own body gone crazy. The so-called "yeast infections" would be more correctly termed "yeast imbalance." We have yeasts in our bodies naturally: it's a symbiote that aids in digestion and gives us minimal nutrition. An "infection" is really just too much yeast. I knew a girl that had clamydia, she had to avoid eating anything fermented. I had a yeast infection in my ear when my eardrum got blown out and they treated it with, basically, medically souped-up lemon juice and baking soda. I remember that because when the doctor told me that citric acid and sodium bicarbonate kills yeast, I said, "I know. I'm a baker."

I think that the accompanying yeast infections is probably due to the body's triage. The leucocytes find the cancer cells to be more of a threat so they go off to fight that, and other infections and imbalances occur. Also, chemo/radiation therapy tends to thin out everything in the blood: red and white cells and platelets. (BTW, I was starting down that slippery slope last week but it's gone back up to normal again, as of this afternoon). We suspected I had a yeast infection when I went to my OBGYN a couple weeks ago, but it turned out not to be the case. We're still watching.

Gawul: I agree. Cancer is an evil entity. I kept thinking, "I'm just noticing it more because it's on my mind," but it seems like everyone around me either survived it, or has a friend/family member that had it and/or died of it. I've lost a number of family and friends to cancer, too. There's so much in our surroundings that has made this beast rise up to take polio's place.

It's made my life do a 180º Bat-turn. I've given up the idea of buying a prefab house because they all have disclaimers that state "This company makes use of materials known to cause cancer." I may be overreacting, but I decided to build a strawbale house, because the materials for that are natural and inert, it's cheaper to build, requires unskilled labour for a good deal of the project and you can build it in pay-as-you-go stages. When's the last time you heard of anyone getting cancer from bamboo, terracotta and hay?
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby skygod » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:44 am

Because of this thread I have scheduled a sigmoidoscopy for next week that I have been putting off for years.
I want to thank you all.
I guess this is how the playa exists after the burn.
You are in my thoughts.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi
skygod

Postby diane o'thirst » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:08 pm

Good on ya! Image

May you see nothing but nice, happy pink on the screen Image
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:43 pm

After any of my major surgeries, not just the ones for cancer, I'd have bouts of fatigue up to six months later. You think you're doing well, and wham! you're exhausted. In my case, I guess my body was busy healing and recharging on a long, slow recovery process.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Mozy bonz » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:43 pm

Hi just checking in Hope everyone is doing well
My mother is not ..doc says one two months tops
the cancer has spread to her liver now. No treatment for it.

A freind let me use his net to check in.

Love and peace to you all.
Mozy bonz

Postby Mozy bonz » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:45 pm

Mom left us last sunday. Her heart just slowed down and then just stopped. I am glad she is in no pain now. I love you Mom. she was 66

and may all of you that have that have Cancer ....beat it and live long.

Love and peace to You All.
Mozy bonz

Postby diane o'thirst » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:22 pm

{{{{{{{{{Mozy Bonz}}}}}}}}}}}}

Your mom's out of pain but you aren't. Take some time and be thoroughly kind and gentle to yourself.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Mozy bonz » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:01 pm

thank you
Mozy bonz

Postby AntiM » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:16 am

Hugs to you and yours MB ...
AntiM

Postby Mozy bonz » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:57 pm

thank you

I must share my moms since of humor.
With in 24 hours of her passing. She called me near and said …
With a weak voice ….Son did you know that I have a photographic memory?
Yes mom I know…. Then her eyes popped open and she leaned forward and said
In a stern voice And I remember everything you did.

She had about six of us in the room with her.
we where all sad. Staring at her sleeping. So we thought… She did the…. pop her eyes open and jump in the bed and said boo.

I told her to get the nurse the same way. I saw it happen just me mom the nurse checking.
Got her when she was about 5 in from her face. The nurse needed a bed after that.

At one point she said call dad and sis this is it … I’m going. In a panic I went out of the room to call them in. as we leaned over her she burped and said oh… no it was just gas never mind.

I don’t think ICU was ready for us there was a lot of loud laughter coming from mom’s room all the time.

We all knew that she only had about 48 hrs left but she was still on her game.

When mom passed she had ask me to make sure that her mouth was closed.
We where crying so I told sis to reach up and close her mouth. She did and the mouth came back open ….so I did. …Back open again…. Oh great the only job mom gave me
And I can’t do that. A burst of laughter came from the room… She had got me after death.

We are made of plow steel and
Yes we do laugh in deaths face.
Mozy bonz

Postby Mozy bonz » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:24 pm

Sorry did not mean to freak anyone out.
I still smile when I think of mom
and moms since of humor.....
thanks mom.

May all of you that have that have Cancer ....beat it and live long.
Mozy bonz

Postby BigCock » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:06 am

That was a beautiful story MB. I'm sitting here at my desk with tears coming down. May her memory forever be a blessing.
BigCock

Postby Mozy bonz » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:21 pm

hope your doing well.... big eplaya hugs (((((((diane o'thirst)))))))))
Mozy bonz

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:49 pm

I'm down to only one radiation treatment to go, that's tomorrow. I stop taking the Xeloda then as well, and get two weeks off to heal. That cessation couldn't come a moment too soon either: today was awful. I'm a little nauseous and my bladder's been screaming at me all day: it's probably burnt in there, owing to the stepped-up radiation. I almost want to go on a water strike so I don't pee...but I know that's useless and counter-productive. Aigh...I wish I wish I wish for a return to painless elimination...

After my fortnight hiatus I go to intravenous chemo. They're not giving me Taxol, thank God, but they're giving me Fluorouracil and some super-vitamin. Anyone have any experience with that? They said "Hair loss is possible, nausea, vomiting, weight loss" as side-effects but I want to talk to someone who's been through it.

It's breast cancer awareness month and they gave us some breast cancer charms and bracelets at the Cancer Center today. I'm wearing mine now, next to the LiveSTRONG bracelet. Now all I need is to go to Dutch Bros. Coffee, get a cuppa chai or hot cocoa, and buy a Katrina Relief bracelet to add to the collection...
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Mozy bonz » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:23 am

You have my thoughts with you. And I know you can get though this.
Mom had lymphoma almost 22 years ago and beat it. I know you can do the same thing. I don't have any web sites or some new treatment for you. Only my respect for what you are going though and something that my mom would say.

When facing a difficult task, act as though it is impossible to fail.
If you’re going after Moby Dick. Take along the tartar sauce.

I think that is why we had 22 more years with her. 20 more years than what the doctors gave her back then.

All my love and respect

hands Diane some tartar sauce..You can do it.

Moz
Mozy bonz

Postby diane o'thirst » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:50 pm

First Congress took back the money for the treatment of emergency personnel in NYC that were exposed to the toxins released by the fall of the Towers on 9/11, then the Bush Administration fronted a string of radically anti-choice candidates to the Supreme Court, and now...

The appropriations bill currently working through Congress has a provision for cutting cancer research funding.

I know we got a lot on our plates in terms of political activism, but we're on the verge of a number of breakthroughs in cancer research — the cuts will impact not just us, current survivors, but future sufferers and survivors down the road for generations to come. I won't indulge in conspiracy theories as to why, the why isn't important now. What's important is that we send DeeCee a message that we, the people, deserve to live and that the fight against cancer continues. Whose right to life are they defending here?

I got the word from LiveSTRONG. Lance Armstrong reports directly to the Oval Offic e in the fight against cancer; he won't have much to say if cancer research is hobbled by underfunding. If anything, we should increase the budget, not cut it.

I ask everyone reading these words to go to the LiveSTRONG website, sign up to be a Survivorship advocate, find out if their Congressmen are on the budget committee, and write those Congressmen and -women to oppose any funding cuts to the war on cancer. None of my Congressmen are on the committee, unfortunately; yours might be and if that's the case, they vitally need to hear your voice.

http://www.livestrong.org
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby diane o'thirst » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:03 pm

Update and a reminiscence...

Today marks the 13th anniversary of my father's death to metastisized lung cancer. I decided to stop mourning today, and place him among the Honoured Ancestors. I honour his life and what he gave me but I'm not going to cry anymore. Time to let the past lie and move forward.

I had my first IV chemo treatment yesterday and you're not going to believe this...today was the best I've felt since my surgery. That's probably not an accurate picture. Let's just say that today, I functioned on a normal basis, wasn't starving, groomed the horse, did errands, worked on a costume, got things done, more housecleaning. Tonight, my friend Shawna and I are going to catch the 10:10 show of <i>The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe</i> at Valley River Center.

Yesterday I felt crummy. Stiff and sore, tired, exceedingly cold sensitive. Whenever I touched something cold, it felt like I was picking up jagged rocks and dull razor blades. it was even worse if I drank something cold, it was like swallowing big bark chips and sand. So, no Dasani at the movie. Hopefully they'll have hot chocolate instead...probably cheaper...

They're starting to play Christmas music on the radio. Fortunately they aren't hammering us with a hundred different versions of "Silent Night" or "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" yet, it's been reasonably good. They played the Nutcracker Suite this afternoon.

Is it me or are this year's Christmas decorations really ugly? Fat goofy reindeer, thunder-thighed snowmen — waitaminnit, snowmen aren't supposed to have thighs in the first place! We had snow on the high hills last night but it's melted. We need to have snow down here in the valley so I can build a snow pagoda again...or at least an X-rated snowman Image
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Mozy bonz » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:25 pm

Glad to see you had a good day.
I know how you feel I miss my mom also. My wife’s dad passed in 1985 from lung cancer she misses him too. I think your on the down hill side of this Diane. There may still be some tuff days but you can get though this. And my offer still stands. If I miss the call I will defiantly call you back if you leave a message. I realy mean this :)

My thoughts are with you. :D

Mike
Mozy bonz

Postby AntiM » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:15 am

Hey D'OT good to hear you're doing so well.

Thursday I had my periodic oncologist visit, I'm fine, need to do the ususal bloodwork that I'd have to do annually anyway. I don't have to go back until June! So weird being so sick and scared and then when you get back to the new normal, it just feels strange. Good, but strange.

Now I must work on the Burnhive for Solstice ...
AntiM

Postby spectabillis » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:59 am

can't sit still wrote: The I read somewhere that 5% of the people in Aspen have Giardia.
Aspen Colorado?
spectabillis

Postby diane o'thirst » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:59 pm

Update on the proposed budget cuts to cancer research...

The bill is coming up for discussion on the Senate floor tomorrow morning at 9:00 AM. Please, wherever you are, whether your Senators are blue or red, call your Senators' offices tonight or super-early tomorrow morning, before 9AM Eastern Standard Time. Tell whoever answers the phone to ask the Senator to vote NO on S 1982, the Omnibus Deficit Reduction bill. Assume <b><i>nothing</b></i>.

Remember that $100 million in cancer research funding, among several other things, is at stake. To cut the cancer research budget now, on the verge of several breakthroughs, is unconscionable.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby diane o'thirst » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:37 pm

We.
Almost.
Lost it.

On the Deficit Reduction Omnibus bill...
The House Repubs used a procedural rule called "martial law" to postpone the vote until 5AM, when they wouldn't be facing a full house of Senators with clear heads. This caused the vote to come to a tie which opened the way for Dick Cheney to toddle in, smirking, and use his tie-breaking vote to tip it over to "Yea."

But, the bill has been passed back to the House of Reps by the House Dems and it will be voted on IN THE LIGHT OF DAY — next year. We have a whole year to educate and mobilize and get this voted THE HELL out of sight.

The good news: Medicare, Medicaid and cancer research, among other things, had its head on the block and the axe was coming down just as the shield slipped between flesh and edged steel — we're not dead yet.

Let the Cancer Genome project continue to happen.

[Taking a deep, relieved breath]
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Mozy bonz » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:03 pm

Does any one know diane o'thirst? She OK? Just worried. Sent a pm to her but it was never picked up.
Mozy bonz

Postby diane o'thirst » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:55 pm

I'm okay, computer was in the shop. Goldurn hinges broke and the power input board needed resoldering...Image

Anyway...currently suffering through Chemo Poisoning #3 of 6. There's a chance I may have to go back to the hospital again because I'm passing blood in and on my #2s, serious blood. Dripping, dark, clotty. We ain't out of open water yet, amigos and hermanas.

I keep trying to think of ways to effect that "Tumourous Jack-in-the-Box popping out of a box covered in cigarette labels" project I concocted...
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby skygod » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:08 pm

Get yur ticket DoT?
had to pay 225 and join paypal lol.
Im thinking of getting a goped for this time,cant use a bike and walking takes forever.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi
skygod

Postby diane o'thirst » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:52 pm

Not yet...I'm broke, I had to refill my Ambien and Percostat prescrips this week and that cleaned me out. Would you believe Ambien is $4 a pill?!?
We fucking need universal health care in this country. Health isn't a commodity, it's infrastructure, more important than roads even. You can't have an effective work force and tax body if your people are dropping like flies.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Isotopia » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:36 pm

We fucking need universal health care in this country. Health isn't a commodity, it's infrastructure, more important than roads even. You can't have an effective work force and tax body if your people are dropping like flies.

TESTIFY Diane. I'm with you on this one more than you might imagine.
Isotopia

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:08 am

Ditto: I was un or under employed for 15 years, and my teeth show it--plus it was due to illness, so if I'd gotten decent health care I might have rejoined the work force earlier. Of course, it's nice all those billionaires have so many mansions that they don't know where they live. The rest of us just aren't sure if we live.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

PreviousNext

Return to Get Involved!