Looking to 2013

Cargo Cult - Who is John Frum? He is known to us by many names, this Visitor from Elsewhere, dispenser of endless abundance and wielder of mysterious technologies: John Frum, Quetzalcoatl, Osiris, "Bob." His cargo is splendid, his generosity boundless, his motives beyond our understanding. But across the ages and around the world, the stories all agree: one day he will return, bearing great gifts. Our theme this year asks three related questions; who is John Frum, where is he really from, and where, on spaceship Earth, are we all going?

Re: Looking to 2013

Postby gyre » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:59 am

This would be surprizing to me.

Every time is different anyway.
gyre

Postby shroom » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:06 am

I need to start gathering my gear.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby postmoderncomic » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:20 pm

Hell yes I am looking to 2013! My buddy laughed at me because on tuesday of the 2012 twelve burn I told him in all seriousness, "next years gonna be awesome!" Yes 2013 will be my 5th year in a row, Im one of those guys who got hooked. To the original starter of the topic, yes, costume creation and brainstorming/manifesting awesome ideas is a year round activity. Im going to bring an art car for the first time, better believe im working hard on it now.

There is never too much prep, every year i realize how i could do something better. Being physically prepared, ie having shelter, meals, water. isnt hard, but having a the shelter you want (besides rving) with no dust interior, shower, kitchen, manageable grey water, thats trickier. having costumes isnt hard, but having the dopest playa costumes that still allow maximum comfort/danceability thats trickier. having all your alcohol or other altering substances isnt hard, but accomplishing all your work (and you should have a good bit of real work to do when participating) while friends fill you with those substances, is a bit trickier. knowing the layout of the city isnt hard, but knowing the ins and outs, the wheres and whens the whos and whats (in my experience the info i am talking about here is rarely in the book, and even if it is it changes. eg like where to get homemade mead from a guy in a white tux at 4am) can be a bit trickier.

going to BM is easy, (i for sure thought i wasnt getting a ticket last year, I started planning how i was going to safely knock myself out to be snuck in because im claustrophobic, but managed to get the only ticket i saw available 3 weeks before the event, then 5 days later i saw 100s on craigslist) but I've never been able to do it how I saw it could be done in one aspect or another. Burningman is a lot of work, but Its by far the most fun gathering I have ever been apart of.

This year Im working on getting to know my Burners, making broader connections through e playa to find out what knowledge I can from long time vets. For instance, I want a Yellow Bike Liberation team, because i hate locked yellow bikes and have been cutting off the locks for the past 2 years, and someone says "i think theres a camp that does that" well that's news to me. so Im looking for them to combine forces to make make 2013 the year nobody had that shitty story of being far from camp right at sundown when you know its taco tuesday or bacon weave night or some magically delicious meal you helped fund, and finding a glorious yellowbike to get you there on time only to see some selfish asshole locked it up because he didnt understand the concept of community.
postmoderncomic

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: shwartown

Postby trilobyte » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:38 pm

Giving this a nudge over to the 2013 event boards (which didn't exist back when this thread was created and active).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby BBadger » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:43 pm

I usually start planning while at the previous year's BM. The whole feedback loop thing when stuff could be improved.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby trilobyte » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:57 pm

I used to start planning at the event too, though since 2011 our planning has started partway through that year's burn (as in we started planning for 2013 in June/July 2012). It's not that we're building the most massive or complicated things ever, just that in order to keep ourselves from getting bogged down and eventually buried in too many projects (and especially too many last-minute projects), we get to a "no new business" point sometime a few weeks after the memorial day weekend. Revisions, tweaks, and improvements to the current plan is okay but anything new we come up with after that point is automatically part of the planning for the next year's event.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby cammi hudson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:52 am

I started the day I got home from this years burn and didnt even get the laundry started yet. I keep on going to the store I work at and go..."ohhh good burning clothes...ohh good burning stuff"
I have most of the clothes ready and my sleeping bag is ready I'm even looking into fares for the trains, planes or automobiles (yes it was an awesome movie, RIP John Candy) Waiting for tickets to go on sale. Bring on the Cults!
cammi hudson

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Outback 2012 - Barbie Death 2013

Postby BAS » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:55 am

Dang it! I have been losing ground on 2013 prep since 2006... Something must be done!
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby trilobyte » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:38 pm

Once future you gets his hands on a time machine, you can circle back and help yourself get caught up.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby BAS » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:33 pm

I've already done that twice...
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Postby latchseeker » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:37 pm

deciding whether or not i want to take my Volvo to BRC and whether or not I'll need Roof racks, or Spending the extra scratch on a rental something. Picked up some gear this week. Trying not forget the hundred things I think of everyday. I feel pretty prepared for my first burn. Gonna get in a bunch of camping between now and then. Working on my gifts. I was telling my buddy how I can't wait to get done with my first burn so I can have a hands on idea of what I want while out there. doing some beneficial networking
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them- Duke Leto Atreides
latchseeker

Postby MacGlenver » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:44 pm

latchseeker wrote:deciding whether or not i want to take my Volvo to BRC and whether or not I'll need Roof racks, or Spending the extra scratch on a rental something. Picked up some gear this week. Trying not forget the hundred things I think of everyday. I feel pretty prepared for my first burn. Gonna get in a bunch of camping between now and then. Working on my gifts. I was telling my buddy how I can't wait to get done with my first burn so I can have a hands on idea of what I want while out there. doing some beneficial networking

If it's reliable, I say add the rack and go with it. If you have concerns about it breaking down, I'd think hard about the rental. I borrowed a truck last year that broke down in Reno after the burn. Had it broken down in BRC, I'd have been majorly effed.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:33 pm

BAS wrote:I've already done that twice...

Even with a time machine, you can't out run the red queen.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gyre » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:19 pm

latchseeker wrote:deciding whether or not i want to take my Volvo to BRC and whether or not I'll need Roof racks, or Spending the extra scratch on a rental something. Picked up some gear this week. Trying not forget the hundred things I think of everyday. I feel pretty prepared for my first burn. Gonna get in a bunch of camping between now and then. Working on my gifts. I was telling my buddy how I can't wait to get done with my first burn so I can have a hands on idea of what I want while out there. doing some beneficial networking

Which volvo and how far?
Any idea how much weight?
gyre

Postby BAS » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:47 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
BAS wrote:I've already done that twice...

Even with a time machine, you can't out run the red queen.

So I learned!
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Postby latchseeker » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:37 pm

Thanks Mac, yeah I think it would be ok, I just don't want to abuse it. It's a 1991 940t Wagon. And From San Diego County, BRC is 637 miles up highway 395. I'm considering the racks cause I want to bring a Yurt, and wouldn't be able to store it inside with everything else in there. I guess I'll run a stage zero before I leave, and keep the weight minimized. I'm almost considering the extra 100 miles to come up the 5, I don't think it'd be happy about the weight through 395, but realistically Donner Pass won't be anymore Friendly. Wish my grandma still had her condo in truckee :cry: (for many reasons)

edit+ haha I had to get this volvo because my 91 oldsmobile eighty eight broke down, which i knew it was going to. but i really wanted to bring the odls to BM, Its totally rusted shit brown and is shaped like a turd, and for fun I filled the interior of this piece of shit with several dozen bundles of fake flowers, little secret garden style. I get a good laugh every time I see it out on the street. I Call it The BM
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them- Duke Leto Atreides
latchseeker

Postby gyre » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:13 pm

I recommend a light trailer if you can afford it.
Don't abuse that rear end.
Trans cooler for an automatic.
Synthetic fluid a good idea for anything, rear end too.

Check with ipd for advice.
There are overload springs for most volvos.
There are different gear ratios in some.
Should be fine though.
gyre

Postby shroom » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:17 pm

Thanks for moving this thread to the 2013 section.

I'm still planning on attending, just waiting to see how the tickets will be sold this time.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Postby Zhust » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:11 pm

Still planning to go in 2013. I decided not to try and pedal Jungo Road, so I'm planning to bring the Temple since it seems easier. I'm learning the painful truth that I do have to do everything. I think I'm going to hit up one of my friends who's good at sketching things and pay them to work through a design with me; I can do CAD but I'm a moron at 3D-2D translations.

Without an image, even I can't begin to start — telling people it's a tree 40' high and 90' wide with the leaves being people's messages is not enough. I have a sculptor and an architect interested right now, as well as promises of a videographer and a couple other people who want to make it happen.

Or I'll just quietly slink in and install a dust blowhole on Connie the Baby Blue Whale.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby trilobyte » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:26 am

That sounds fun, Zhust! Here's what I do, it's worked out pretty well on quite a few projects. Start with scribbles on napkins (from a bar, coffee house, etc). If you've got a tablet, there are a number of great apps for scribbling and sketching that are great to work with. Big blocky broad strokes, don't even think about scale too much at first. Then start having drinks (or coffees) with your collaborators and see where the napkin sketches go from there. I tend to be a visual thinker, and starting with even crude sketches and really rough drafts help communicate the idea so others are on the same page. Once it takes shape, you can look at stuff like AutoDesk's free 123D Design or some other app to work up a 3D model (or have someone else on the team do that, if they've got the skills and interest). Good luck and keep us posted on your progress (either here or in a separate thread for the project once you're off and running).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby shroom » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:35 pm

make that 2014....too much happening in my life right now and I will miss it again. *sigh* Will be there in 2014!!!
shroom

Postby ygmir » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:03 pm

well crap,no fungus, among us.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby shroom » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:00 pm

fungus in 2014!
shroom

Previous

Return to 2013 Theme