Theme camp setup deadline requirements question.

Theme camp setup deadline requirements question.

Postby HughMungus » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:00 pm

Is it true that the only way to be a registered theme camp is to be there and setup by the very beginning of the week (as I'm reading on this questionnaire)? Is that the only way to get listed as a theme camp / get the "free publicity" of being published in the guide?
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby Tiara » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:59 pm

disclaimer: I haven't read this year's guidelines in detail.

In years past, I believe that all theme camps had to arrive and be placed before Wednesday, or their assigned spot would be forfeited. Esplanade and Center Camp theme camps had to arrive and be set up earlier than that.
Tiara

Postby Tiara » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:15 pm

ok, it took some work, but I found the guidelines for this year. You actually have to be logged in to complete a theme camp application to locate this information:

The Esplanade:
This is the first street at the front of the city and faces the Man. It is reserved for camps that have:

* 24 hour interactivity.
* Completely conceived visual scheme.
* Playa-frontage needs, small art installations across the Esplanade.
* Must be on the playa by Monday, 8.29.2005 by 6 PM.

Non-Esplanade:
This is a high visibility location on the streets behind the Esplanade.

* Located within the city limits.
* This is for fun interactive camps without need for playa frontage.
* Camps must be on site by Tuesday, 8.30.2005 by 10 PM.

Center Camp:
Highly interactive camps that fit into the center camp "groove" with 20 people or less. Camps must be in by Sunday, 8.28.2005 and running by Monday, 8.29.2005.

The Plazas:
Highly interactive camps that fit into the plaza area "groove" with 20 people or less. Camps must be in by Sunday, 8.28.2005 and running by Monday, 8.29.2005 by 6 PM.

Large Scale Sound Art: Located at the ends of the city, this area is filled depending on space availability and reserved for camps with large sound systems. After these spaces are filled, you will not be able to bring your system. Camps must be on site by Tuesday, 8.30.2005 by 10 PM.
Tiara

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:16 am

I don't think you have to be a registered theme camp to be in teh what/where/when.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby actiongrl » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:24 am

I think it's just that you have to be registered to get placed on the map. (disclaimer, I am not on theme camp team.)
actiongrl

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:39 am

I think you're right AG. I'm simply pointing out for DallasPlaya or anyone else reading that, that not being a registered theme camp doesn't mean you can't be a theme camp and do activities.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Re: Theme camp setup deadline requirements question.

Postby HughMungus » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:23 am

DallasPlaya wrote:Is it true that the only way to be a registered theme camp is to be there and setup by the very beginning of the week (as I'm reading on this questionnaire)? Is that the only way to get listed as a theme camp / get the "free publicity" of being published in the guide?

You are the winnah!

I realized that there's a placement category named "None" which, I guess, allows you to be a registered theme camp but not get a particular placement in the theme camps area. So this would be what I want if I don't care too much about being in the "official" theme camp area and can't arrive before the required time but do want to be listed so people can find it (or at least go look for it).
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby mamagrrl » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:25 am

Right on, Cryptofishist.

I've been going over placed or not-placed.
Turns out that there might be some definite perks to being not-placed, especially if we can figure out how to set up FAST...
...but we wanted a pre-playa-received on-playa address, so how to handle that?

If we go unplaced, we'll choose our desired locale and, well, announce it. Put it in the workshop descriptions, etc. Be there when the gates open and run like hell for the space we want. (wry grin)

the WWWhen will take workshop/calendar entries from anyone - you don't have to be registered.

I've had confirmation that if you go in early to work/volunteer, they won't let you set up early if you're unplaced. They'll shoo you away - so, that plan won't work either.

This years gonna be interesting...
mamagrrl

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:34 am

mamagrrl wrote:I've had confirmation that if you go in early to work/volunteer, they won't let you set up early if you're unplaced. They'll shoo you away - so, that plan won't work either.
Cuts down on the early crowds (that have to be paid for.) Question. If came early and volenteered and grabbed your campsite--but did not set up beyond your tent, would that work? Or I'm I getting too effin clever. (Occupational hazard.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby mamagrrl » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:21 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:If came early and volenteered and grabbed your campsite--but did not set up beyond your tent, would that work? Or I'm I getting too effin clever. (Occupational hazard.)

Well, you're very clever, and probably hazardous, but you'd be shoo'd away.
Yeah, even in a tent... unless they decide to ignore you, which could happen. Oh, to be ignored...

Maybe if you slept in the back of your truck?
mamagrrl

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:39 pm

mamagrrl wrote:Right on, Cryptofishist.

I've had confirmation that if you go in early to work/volunteer, they won't let you set up early if you're unplaced...

Where did you hear that?

Interesting isn't the word for it... if you have to be there pre-event (and you're on the pre-event access list), but can't set up your camp so you can do your pre-event duties, what do you do?

Something seems funny about that... especially for the theme camps that have to be up and running by Monday, and essential personnel who are working pre-event (we start, what, Friday??). Just doesn't sound right. I know they have to access Playa access to essential personnel pre-event, but for those of us who would have to work shifts, not to have a place to call home... most of us are not graced with a supplied trailer...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:07 pm

I'm sure that they won't fuss about a trailor or a tent, maybe not even a shade structure. What I was trying to get at was that if you were working pre-event and grabbed some free (um, available) real estate for your theme camp but didn't start the set up beyond your tent/truck until 12:01 am Monday, would you be okay? It's very "letter of the law" but if you're on the list, you DO your work for DPW or the Cafe or whoever, AND you run a theme camp it seems to me that there ought to be some wiggle room. Of course, I'm talking from the point of view of what reasonable people ought to be able to work out amoung themselves without having it come crashing down not as to what will actually happen on playa. The BLM is definately a bureacrasy, without getting to the contentious question of whether or not the LLC is. If you were to follow my line of reasoning, please remember that this is supposition and I have no power or say to make it true.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:10 pm

To clarify. I've been in early the past two years as part of ESD. Of course we were allowed to set up our tent as part of the ESD camp we were with. And people in walk-in camping or non-reserved camping were, I belive, also permitted to set up tents. IMHO it would be rediculous to forbid that, as I Bay Bridge Sue said.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:10 pm

Exactly the same reason I was asking - If we're supposed to be operational the Friday before opener (first year doing responsible type stuff there, working at ESD myself!) how am I supposed to go to work *and* not have a place to call home?

I would suspect that it'll all work itself out in the next few months... and we're worryin' about nothin' !!

BTW, C'fishist, what'cha do??

BBS
Lassen Forge

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:16 pm

I'm a first responder so I was allowed to work as a medic in 02 and 03. Requirements have been tightened (a good thing) so I wasn't allowed in 04. I *might* do some helping out at dispatch--but sitting a half mile from the city, even in air conditioning, doesn't seem very "burny."

I take it that you're not going to camp with either ESD camp, but with some theme? There's no problem if you're in Fire or Medic camp. YOu get there and they already have shade structures on Saturday before the event opens.

Have you worked ESD before?
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:59 pm

Nope - first time. Figured since I've been doing it in the mundane world all these years (9 as a Dispatcher, 6 as an Emergency Services Supervisor) I should probably do that for my other city I'm a resident of as well. I don't get as much mike time as I used to - now it's a lot of paperwork and bueraucratic stuff interlaced with the fun stuff (going up after bridge jumpers, dealing with big accidents, car fires, fatalities... same old boring junk >grins<) interlaced with periods of sheer boredom (Hmmm, sounds like firefighter stuff!)... so given the chance to go back on the air was kind of appealing. Esp at BRC.

Not camping with a theme camp... we always do (did) the independent thing wherever we went... tho if they really *do* crack down this year might not be a bad idea... Kinda depends if my brother decides to go this year (he's leaning that way, and I've been trying to get him involved, evil bitch that I am >grins<)). Nothing in concrete, yet, tho... The only scary thing is camping with a bunch of ESD people (like firefighters) would be a lot like camping with the guys at work - really fun, really exciting, just a bit scary! >giggles< But I might be so inclined...

I look at it this way... sure, it's a cool, air conditioned oasis away from the normal happenings out on the playa (Cool? Shade?? EWWWW!!!!!) but it's only for a few shifts. I don't think I could handle it full time (unless I got paid for it, and even then I'd want "out" - I know from greusome experience you can only do so much time on a radio before you go bonkers!). Plus, if I'm in an office, separated from it all, why am I there?

;~) BBS
Lassen Forge

Postby mamagrrl » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:10 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:
mamagrrl wrote:Right on, Cryptofishist.

I've had confirmation that if you go in early to work/volunteer, they won't let you set up early if you're unplaced...

Where did you hear that?

Interesting isn't the word for it... if you have to be there pre-event (and you're on the pre-event access list), but can't set up your camp so you can do your pre-event duties, what do you do?

I got it from a placement guy.
...and my thoughts exactly.
Last year, I volunteered (in early) AND was with a placed theme, so I just parked in our theme spot and nobody hassled me.
I can't remember whether there were folks camped out in unplaced land.
Can anyone else remember?
mamagrrl

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:27 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:The only scary thing is camping with a bunch of ESD people (like firefighters) would be a lot like camping with the guys at work - really fun, really exciting, just a bit scary! >giggles< But I might be so inclined...
;~) BBS
You nailed it, I think. (I only know firefighters from BM so it's a little different for me.) The most amazing this about fire camp is the cooking competitions. Gumbo, antelope chili, almost legendary. And the story tellers. Dale Scott is amazing. But otherwise, it's the shade structure/bar and all the machismo and bonding. . . I'm sure you're welcome to hang out there and camp elsewhere. the mrFishist isn't likely to set up his own camp. . ., so I'm sort of stuck in Medic or Fire camp.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Return to 2005 Theme Camps