Camp "You Got What I Need?"

Camp "You Got What I Need?"

Postby alsmusic » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:43 am

I'll go first....

I'm looking for a village which will have at least a little bit of 24/7 power available, that would like to have their very own 24/7 radio station. Lots of free publicity for your parties and stuff, noiseless raves (FM headphone) and only "good" music (ahem.)....

Failing that, perhaps there is a camp which would LIKE 24/7 power and a radio station -- which can supply a big propane tank or two -- or a maybe even whole bunch of BBQ bottles, (BYOBBQ camp?) . I have a 15kw generator that burns propane, (much less stinky/poisonous than gas/diesel) but only room for about 30 hours (or so) of fuel on board.

I'll also have a nice big tower that will make a nifty maypole/centerpiece for a nice big open common area (sleeping in this fall-zone area is not a good idea). We can put a nice big red light at the top which will be VERY handy in helping you find your way home in the dark.

But after doing all that, plus a couple of other related things I'm working on, I'm going to be out of both money and energy. Especially money.

I love collaborating on cool/stupid ideas -- and the rest of my BM plan is really a blank slate. Only rules are that nobody dies, and we have to try really hard not to burn the place down.

It would be cool if someone would be willing to share some of my care/feeding and perhaps some of the other comforts of home. Otherwise, I may be eating nothing but Snickers bars and Gatorade for a week.

Anyone willing to either adopt me and my technology or join in forging a new small civilization in the wilderness?

--Al
alsmusic

Radio Radio

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:45 am

Hi Al. There was a crackdown a few years back on pirate radio stations on the playa that exceeded the FCC wattage limitation so they now have some rules posted and it sounds like you would want to run a search at burningman.com and read them with that big manly antenna of yours. :D

I ran a low wattage (compliant) radio station from my Mutant Vehicle last year. Just played a three minute digital loop of time travel sounds and had a sign on the back to instruct people how to tune it. I really don't know how many people did because my radio is the last thing I think of using when I'm so distracted on the playa. If it's your passion, go for it!

What kind of programming do you like to do?
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

playa radio

Postby alsmusic » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:24 pm

Thanks for the reply, jelly.

I've done the best research I can -- however if I've missed something, I hope someone will please put me right before I start spending money.

As far as I can tell the "scare" was motivated more by some poor sport with other ideas on how the Playa should be used, who started making stink however he could. My read is that the FCC made some inquiries, and found that enforcement was "impossible due to lack of funds/manpower." Publically, they have to SAY that the law will be enforced, but I think in private conversations they're prepared to look the other way as long as violations aren't flagrant/extreme. I pray that a well-engineered station that follows the spirit of the regulations might squeak by. Of course, you never know...,..

Since the FCC presently regulates only field strength, tower height can be whatever the law of the land allows -- I'm well under FAA guidelines, and I haven't seen the powers that be at BurningMan hinting at any regulations in that area. Basically, it looks to me like whatever you can do without killing yourself or others is good.... (isn't that a familiarl BM theme?)

I've done a little commercial radio, and hope to put together something I can have a little pride in.

Music? Anyone who doesn't like my music MUST have something wrong with them!! :roll: I eschew burnt-out radio dreck for the most part, and favor accessable and sustainable (IE: non-numbing) toe-tapping beat-oriented rhythmic stuff that people MAY have heard before, just not every freakin day....with an occasional excursion into jazz/blues. <takes deep breath> that's generally speaking Plenty of variety.

I'd like to put together a "sound track" for burning man that most anyone could at least tolerate as background to their experience. Nothing too obtrusive or unnecessarily offensive. But I don't want to grind ALL the "character" out of it, either, so I guess I show signs of being a hard-core moderate.

Any takers?
alsmusic

oop. forgot who I was talking to

Postby alsmusic » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:45 am

I have to be kind of careful how I talk about the music I play. People here in the Heartland scare easily.

What I outlined is what I have laid out to happen during daylight hours.

Once it gets dark.... it's a LOT more clubby with maybe a loungy electronica flavor.

I've been gently beating the bushes for live spinners who might want to put together a set or two.

As i said, I love to collaborate.

I have a prototype audio stream going most of the time. Ask and I'll hook you up.
just remember, five months is a LONG time.....
alsmusic

Re: Radio Radio

Postby spectabillis » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:43 am

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:Hi Al. There was a crackdown a few years back on pirate radio stations on the playa that exceeded the FCC wattage limitation so they now have some rules posted

Wouldn't happen to have a link for those rules, would ya? Its not that I doubt you, just the first I heard of it.
spectabillis

Postby Tancorix » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:17 am

I don't know about the rules but here's an article from the 2003 Piss Clear that might be helpful.

http://www.blue-period.com/pissclear/Articles/2003/FCCwontletBRC.html
Tancorix

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:52 am

Here's the link:
http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... media.html

Yes, please post the link to your stream so we can dig your musical style. Do you own all of the equipment for such a radio station?
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby alsmusic » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:55 pm

[quote="Mister Jellyfish Mister"]Here's the link:
http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... media.html

Yes, please post the link to your stream so we can dig your musical style. Do you own all of the equipment for such a radio station?[/quote]

Yep. Everything you see here. Just found my tower, and may also have a line on a multi-bay antenna array that will be coming out of service soon. <crossing fingers> Only thing I'm missing is a little extra LP gas to make juice for the duration. (although I'd also love to avoid the cost of towing the generator 1600 miles one-way if it isn't absolutely necessary.)

The radio rules that the Gods of Burning Man are concerned with can be found under "FCC Part 15" -- a little careful Google-ing will uncover the straight dope.

My 'audition anxiety' is flaring up, but I guess I have to go public sometime. Be gentle. This is a prototype. Under-construction weirdness is possible as I tweak things. No station graphics/liners/talk till I know what frequency I'll be on. There will also be provision for live listener input on site. Music mix changes throughout the day -- Noon and Midnight are whole new ball games -- sample at several times.

If you listen, *detailed* feed back is absolutely required.

mms://alsmusic.serveftp.net/alsmusic radio internet
alsmusic

Postby Tancorix » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:09 pm

Under construction weirdness? You're speaking to burners here, weirdness comes with the territory. I tried to listen to the stream but it won't let me connect. Are you at capacity? Or is it operator error on my side?
Tancorix

Postby alsmusic » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:26 pm

[quote="Tancorix"]Under construction weirdness? You're speaking to burners here, weirdness comes with the territory. I tried to listen to the stream but it won't let me connect. Are you at capacity? Or is it operator error on my side?[/quote]

Well it sure as hell can't be MY fault! :roll: Umm, I'm far from the last authority on this, but a couple of people HAVE connected successfully, so I'm pretty sure, it's working -- dial-up connections still unverified, however. Most common trouble has to do with firewalls. Windows streaming media uses a whole bunch of random ports. Old versions of Media Player don't work. I can't speak to the other bajillion players out there.

Ook -- the eplaya system buggered the link. (spaces in the url are unfortunate but too late to change now)

sorry for the icky URL, gotta enter the whole thing manually - replace the "+" with [space] character.

"mms://alsmusic.serveftp.net/alsmusic+radio+internet"
alsmusic

Troubleshooting feedback

Postby PurpleKoosh » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:14 pm

I tried opening mms://alsmusic.serveftp.net/alsmusic+radio+internet in both Windows Media Player 9 and WinAmp 5.08 - no luck either way. (I'm running Win98SE.)
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby alsmusic » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:24 pm

replace the "+" with [space] character below.

That's the big long button right beneath the "any key."
alsmusic

Postby PurpleKoosh » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:38 pm

alsmusic wrote:replace the "+" with [space] character below.

That got me a nice happy BSOD. :-P
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby Tancorix » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:40 pm

Uh, no go. I can get to other streaming stuff like the wingtunes site but not yours. I'll try again from another location in a while.
Tancorix

Postby alsmusic » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:18 am

Okay, dang it. Here's a way that I pray will make it less confusing:

Use THIS:

[url]http://tinyurl.com/4a5v5[/url]

Enter it right into Media player. (version 7 or later)
Once I got the firewall settings right on my streaming server, I was able to connect with no changes to the client.

If you enter the above URL in your browser, you must be certain that you have an application associated with "msi" and "asx" strings. BSOD or failure will be your punishment(s) otherwise.

Jeez, my MOM managed to connect on the first try! Of course she has a DSL and I keep her up with current software. Ahem.

Somebody please succeed at connecting and post to that effect! Please! I want to get past this and start talking about who wants me to move in with them.
alsmusic

Return to 2005 Theme Camps