The Not Having a Good Time Camp

The Not Having a Good Time Camp

Postby cindypoo » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:01 pm

Hi everyone :) My camp already has a theme but the other night we were sitting around talking about how it was a bummer that some of our friends who went last year didn't having a good time. It was their first time and they didn't know they were going to have a bad time until they got there. Of course, once they were there, they were kind of stuck there.

I meet people now and then who didn't have a good time at Burning Man and I joked that there should be a Not Having a Good Time Camp where the people who aren't having a good time can go and meet others to figure out what it would take for them to have a good time :) Meeting other people who aren't having a good time might make it a good time afterall! Just wanted to throw it out there!
cindypoo

Postby Alex_uk » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:29 am

hahaha i like it....i reckon that might work
Alex_uk

Postby Dork » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:58 pm

Just make sure to also have a "determined to not have a good time" camp to send the sour pusses. Some people can be really stubborn and take everyone else down with them.
Dork

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:05 pm

Ha! That reminds me of the Douglas Adams book, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe when the useless 1/3 of the population was "sent ahead" to crash land on a planet that the others promised to show at later. Brilliant! You could disign the camp like a huge coffee filter!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby Ranger Genius » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:08 am

But what will we do without all our telephone sanitizers?
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:38 am

Ranger Genius wrote:But what will we do without all our telephone sanitizers?

And advertising executives!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

obviously....

Postby samdu » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:27 am

Ranger Genius wrote:But what will we do without all our telephone sanitizers?

...we'll all die from some contagious disease caught from a telephone handset!
samdu

Postby robotland » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:10 am

What if they really ENJOY being in Not Having A Good Time Camp?
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Renie » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:58 pm

Will there be a special sections for over worked theme camp organizers, those who don't know how to gift, and those who have hidden in an RV all week?
If this is all one section can we seperate the organizers? You know they will just try to connect the other 2 groups.
Renie

Postby alienfry » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:43 pm

how about a section for people who got BOOTED from their camp for being a grouch!

maybe a more appropriate camp would be Camp Intervention.

or Camp You're An Asshole, SURPRISE We Packed Up Your Stuff And Brought It Here!

hah
awesome oppossum
alienfry

Postby d6 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:19 am

Over the past few years, our group has had at least one do-nothing-complaining-loud-talker, despite our best early screening efforts to filter away
THOSE WHO REFUSE TO PARTICIPATE / EXPERIENCE BRC,

so we @ Robotronia happily endorse the proposed camp ideas. We'll even provide a robot sentry so that once inside the perimeter of the various facets of "Unhappy Camp", the disgruntled humans cannot escape until such time as they have successfully completed "Re-Ned-Ucation", or at least give the matching answer to the Deep Thought Computers' answer to "Life.the Universe and Everything"

d6

"RESISTANCE IS FUTILE"
your witty rejoinder just flew over my head.....

no trust fund getting supply buying self-reliant non-bankrolled questionable artistic contributor sacrificing electronics at will build it destroy it clean it haul it financially uninterested uber-bot
d6

Postby RuS » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:24 pm

I like that idea. My camp last year had a bunch of virgin burners. They totally sucked! They were always complaing and they forgot that they were on vacation!
)(
RuS

Postby the_iconoclast » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:54 pm

robotland wrote:What if they really ENJOY being in Not Having A Good Time Camp?

We remedy that with bamboo shoots, electro-convulsive therapy and a non-stop ABBA soundtrack... they might be able to deal with the bamboo and electro-shock.. but no one could enjoy 168 straight hours of ABBA... especially when they are duct taped to cots with ear phones on so NO ONE outside their camp can hear... and to show I am not completely out of touch, I would gift them saline drips to make sure they don't get de-hydrated.
the_iconoclast

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:46 am

the_iconoclast wrote:[ but no one could enjoy 168 straight hours of ABBA...
I offer to come by and lip synch (badly) and dance (badly) to Waterloo and Fernando. That ought to push them over the edge even if they have to climb a cliff to find the edge.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Tancorix » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:32 pm

ABBA? What'cha going to do after that, tickle 'em with a feather? If you want to annoy someone, you play music like this: http://www.wingtunes.com/public/samples.aspx.

Click on that link and the samples at your own risk. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Tancorix

Postby the_iconoclast » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:25 pm

Tancorix wrote:ABBA? What'cha going to do after that, tickle 'em with a feather? If you want to annoy someone, you play music like this: http://www.wingtunes.com/public/samples.aspx.

Click on that link and the samples at your own risk. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Ok.. I just damn near pissed myself... ABBA makes me want to gouge my eyes out... I was incapable of movement while listening to that... That is magnificent... I need to go get tissue to wipe the tears... I think the best part is that you can download it... I forsee audio-mischief... an endless loop on a hidden player...
the_iconoclast

Postby jc » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:25 pm

Who's Abba?
jc

Wing

Postby rumajo » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:43 am

Wing...I think I love you!
Where will you be camping this year you frisky, little, wonderful you...?!
Ahhh...those eyes...that voice...that voice that makes me want to tie you the the far phencepost naked , blindfolded, covered with honey so I can watch with binoculars as the birds (yes there are birds there/here) drop by ...lead by your voice...that voice...

bwahahahahahahahahaha
'03 - Faith & 430; '04 - Mars & 530; '05 - Fetish & 420; '06 - 430 Keyhole; '08 - The Wheel & 630; '11 - Gnome & 250...
rumajo

Postby d6 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:03 am

heeheehee
and to think, there are only 9 "albums" to choose from - we will most definately be using some "wing" in the
klaus nomi (dingdongthewitchisdead),
shatner(mr tambourine man)
mae west(twistandshout)

audio death match this year for the screens.....

I cant see now, that was awesome!

d6,

www.robotronia.com for brc 2005

no trust fund getting supply buying self-reliant non-bankrolled questionable artistic contributor sacrificing electronics at will build it destroy it clean it haul it financially uninterested uber-bot
d6

Postby frogprincess » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:49 pm

A fabulous camp idea indeed.

Last year I thought of creating a support group for Burners that have a bad time, yet still return every year for more.

After a stellar first year, I’ve returned to the Playa 3 more times to experience: a severe medical issue that required me to go off-playa for attention, the worst bad-trip ever, vomiting & diarrhea, relationship issues, ex-boyfriend issues, and again, ex-boyfriend issues, and a really ugly body-painting.

This year’s gonna be great though.

fp
frogprincess

Postby frogprincess » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:14 pm

Shit, and my bike was stolen, and then the next year my nice drum!
frogprincess

Postby d6 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:30 pm

What about having to take care of other peoples dogs-camp? (pre pooch-ban days, anyways)

or perhaps starting up the: VOMITRON DIAHRRETIC DUMPLING CAMP,

specifically marketed to ex-intimate-personnel-types, who for whatever reason cannot handle the whole of relationships-past out at BRC.
Oh, and of course all thieving bastards get free admission to V.D.D.C as well.

it's the best i could do, i'm tired.......

d6,
currently not a "fucking champ"

d6

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:45 am

frogprincess wrote:After a stellar first year, I’ve returned to the Playa 3 more times to experience: a severe medical issue that required me to go off-playa for attention, the worst bad-trip ever, vomiting & diarrhea, relationship issues, ex-boyfriend issues, and again, ex-boyfriend issues, and a really ugly body-painting.
fp--I've been through the medical issues, husband's not my own. (Have contacts in Emergency Services Department--if you feel you need to give any feedback, or you can email 911@burningman.com )
Keep coming back because it's important to my husband. If I can't make it work this year--that's it. I'll save up for a rafting trip down the Grand Canyon and do the separate vacation thing. Have a good burn!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

i love it

Postby mystery-g-spot » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:08 am

HAHAHAHAH! that's freakin hilarious! great idea. maybe if all the people who aren't having a good time hung out together...misery loves company, so they would actually have a good time..!

Last year my step-dad was complaining about it and trying to bring everyone else down. saying stuff like "This year SUCKS, the only thing people wanna do is just dance! you can dance anywhere! this is bullshit!" he was being really lame. we need a Not Having A Good Time Camp. :o
mystery-g-spot

Postby cindypoo » Mon May 23, 2005 7:10 pm

We had a friend who was going for the first time last year. It was my first time also but I had fun. Anyhow, the whole group was having fun watching the burn and when the man went down, he turns to us and starts saying "This sucks. I'm not coming back next year!!"

He had been complaining the whole week but that was the last straw. I felt bad that he was having such a bad time but I hated that he felt the need to bring everyone else down with him.
cindypoo

Postby HughMungus » Mon May 23, 2005 10:00 pm

frogprincess wrote:This year’s gonna be great though.

fp

:P
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby we0ne » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:26 pm

curious what your friends thought sucked about their time at BM?
we0ne

Return to 2005 Theme Camps