Camp "Thunderbird"

Camp "Thunderbird"

Postby tbirdphoto » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:20 am

We are putting together a new camp, Camp "Thunderbird",
getting burners together and putting together our plan.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
“It was believed among the tribes that if you had a dream or vision of birds, you were destined to be a medicine man; but if you had a vision of Thunderbird, it was your destiny to become something else; heyoka, or sacred clown. Like Thunderbird, the heyoka were at once feared and held in reverence. They were supposed to startle easily at the first sound of thunder or first sight of lightning. Thunderbird supposedly inspired the "contrariness" of the heyoka through his own contrary nature. He alternates strong winds with calm ones. While all things in nature move clockwise, Thunderbird is said to move counterclockwise. Thunderbird is said to have sharp teeth, but no mouth; sharp claws, but no limbs; huge wings, but no body. All of these things suggest Thunderbird (and the heyoka) have a curious, paradoxical, contrary nature. You could become heyoka through a vision of the Thunderbird, or just of lightning or a formidable winged being of power.”
tbirdphoto

Postby robotland » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:11 am

What's the word?
THUNDERBIRD!!!
What's the price?
SIXTY-FIVE, TWICE!!!
Who likes it the mos'?
US FOLKS DOE'S!!!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby sourgirl » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:33 pm

Immensely interesting. Is there a website up or is this camp up in the ether? I don't know if you take Burning Virgins, but I'm there if you do!
It takes 41 muscle to frown, but only 4 to extend your arm and hit someone upside the head
sourgirl

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:59 pm

Did you know the Thunderbird was an actual animal?

Its heyday was in the Pleistocene. It was the only Terror Bird that could fly. It had a fourteen-foot wingspan and the only way it could get aloft is on thermals that sprung up in the vanguard of major weather systems — the First Nations had it bass-ackwards, the Thunderbird didn't bring the storm, the storm brought the Thunderbird.

Before Clovis Man happened on the scene, it was the bison's primary natural predator; it preyed on bison, and not just the calves, either. Bison herds would see this thing and run like all hell's fury was after them. Humans learnt to watch for stormclouds to go hunting because stormclouds = thunderbirds flying = bison running for it. And the Thunderbird was definitely <i>not</i> averse to picking off the occasional human hunter, either.

Great idea for a camp! :)
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby robotland » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:38 am

I'd have thought that the Thunderbird would prey on Impalas.....
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby diane o'thirst » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:16 pm

No actually, they prey on Jaguars

:roll:
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby robotland » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:28 pm

Touche'!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby thunderthief » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:16 am

hi,
i too am a burning virgin; but im really liking the thunderbird theme - storms are a bit of a theme for me too...could you tell us more about the camp? what it might be like?

Ta!
K
do i contradict myself? very well then I contradict myself.
walt whitman
thunderthief

Return to 2005 Theme Camps