Eplaya Camp 2005

Postby tonytohono » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:07 am

it's called self-preservation.
tonytohono

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:18 am

tonytohono wrote:it's called self-preservation.
And all this time I thought "self-preservation" was something that involved pectin and canning jars and a big pot of boiling water.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby tonytohono » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:21 am

lol~1

Main Entry:self*preservation
Pronunciation:-*pre-z*r-*v*-sh*n
Function:noun
Date:circa 1614

1 : preservation of oneself from destruction or harm
2 : a natural or instinctive tendency to act so as to preserve one's own existence
tonytohono

on guns

Postby swampdog » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:38 am

Sorry, gotta put in my .02 on the guns topic. I don't have any problem with people who keep and use guns responsibly (as the pro-gun posters here seem to be). I personally don't have any interest in having them around.

But handguns, rifles, shotguns as defense against a runaway government? Please. In Iraq they have IEDs, they have RPGS, they have grenades, probably a bunch of other stuff you couldn't buy here, and in a pitched battle like Fallujah they got rolled like a basketball.

That doesn't mean that if it were to come to a revolution against a tyrannical US government (I mean, one more tyrannical than the current) that I'd just bow before the tyranny, but I think that all the personal weapons aren't going to mean shit, it would be weapons stolen or provided from outside that would be decisive.

And, before this last election, I had confidence that no American troops could ever be convinced to wage war on US citizens. That was my true source of confidence that we would be safe from this sort of question in the long term. Now I'm not so sure. Red state/blue state - they hate us for our freedom.

So, keep your weapons, but don't kid yourself it will do more to defend you against a rogue military backed US government than spitting at them.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:06 pm

tonytohono wrote:lol~1

2 : a natural or instinctive tendency to act so as to preserve one's own existence
Yeah, that is a puzzle--cutting yourself into pieces in order to save yourself.

Auto Mai Lai, I suppose.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Simply Joel » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:21 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
tonytohono wrote:lol~1

Yeah, that is a puzzle--cutting yourself into pieces in order to save yourself.

Auto Mai Lai, I suppose.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/vietnam/tr ... mylai.html

yeah, we are all baby killing bastards.

please mark me down as "disgusted"
Simply Joel

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:23 pm

Yet another reason to reguard your insurance agent with suspicion.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Rob the Wop » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:12 pm

So how many ex-military folks out there believe a populous armed with shotguns, pistols, and hunting rifles would be totally defenseless against our military? It would be interesting to see. Anyone?
The other, other white meat.
Rob the Wop

Postby Simply Joel » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:15 pm

defenseless? no

limited in resources? yes
Simply Joel

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:31 pm

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby regynalonglank » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:14 pm

if i had a gun i would eventually shoot someone. i am not a good person to bulk up with firearms, i'm bad enough as it is! trust me on this one... guns + longlank = trouble
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum
regynalonglank

Postby cowboyangel » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:31 pm

can't figure out this weird thread drift in our sacred camp.....is this what you guys have in mind?
http://www.barrettrifles.com/
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby samtzu » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:41 pm

Rob the Wop wrote:So how many ex-military folks out there believe a populous armed with shotguns, pistols, and hunting rifles would be totally defenseless against our military? It would be interesting to see. Anyone?

I agree with Joel... limited, but not ineffective.

The best superweapon of mass distruction has always been the human brain, anyway. We have enough of those here to do the job.

But, the odd cruise missle might come in handy...
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer
samtzu

Postby samtzu » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:44 pm

cowboyangel wrote:can't figure out this weird thread drift in our sacred camp.....is this what you guys have in mind?
http://www.barrettrifles.com/

Yes... that is quite a weapon. However, random, indescriminate firing does nothing but get you in trouble. Be discriminating when you fire one of those.

By the way, the eplaya camp is starting to sound like boot camp.

Ooh! Ooh! I get to teach 'Edged Weapons'!!
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer
samtzu

Postby III » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:43 pm

i was wondering about that drift. is the eplaya camp thing going through a hibernation, or is it falling apart under realistic scrutiny? i can't tell.

(i'm not going to be a part of it, but i've kinda made a hobby out of watching how these things develop (or not).)
III

Postby sparkletarte » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:53 pm

I think what this is leading up to is to have a shooting gallery. Maybe the kind they have at fairs with water pistols and make the little burning men go up the thing. They could be rigged. The winner has to do...something.
sparkletarte

Postby cowboyangel » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:55 pm

ya and we can now call our camp "soldiers of misfortune"
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:34 am

III wrote:i was wondering about that drift. is the eplaya camp thing going through a hibernation, or is it falling apart under realistic scrutiny? i can't tell.

(i'm not going to be a part of it, but i've kinda made a hobby out of watching how these things develop (or not).)
Some of us are meeting tonight--in a different context, to be sure--but this will be a topic of discussion. Perhaps that will put a different energy behind the camp. Who can say about the thread.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Rian Jackson » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:46 am

well, i'm just glad that things are less tense between eplaya and 3playa. because if this 'camp turned ammo dump' started a civil war it would be tragic. and then what would the people on both boards do?

seriously problematic.

who wants to be a mercenary?

on the other hand, 3playa and eplaya(xplaya) could team up and take over BM... wanna start a war?
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby tisha2 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:53 am

sparkletarte wrote:I think what this is leading up to is to have a shooting gallery. Maybe the kind they have at fairs with water pistols and make the little burning men go up the thing. They could be rigged. The winner has to do...something.

ooh! me! me!! pick me!
ERP ~ Emergency Resource Procurement
"if i can't find it, yer f***ed"
https://www.facebook.com/pages/ERP-Emergency-Resource-Procurement/257100377734118

how we roll:
https://www.facebook.com/TheThugboat
tisha2

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:54 pm

The winner has to make a convincing sock.
BlueBirdPoof

Postby III » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:36 pm

>less tense between eplaya and 3playa

i'm not sure, for the most part, that they ever were all that tense. there are a few individuals that are really peeved at the other sides culture, but for a lot of 3playans the real split was over technical issues. and that doesn't mean that the 3playa is better, or worse, only that it caters to a different set of ideals.
III

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:50 pm

The winner has to make a convincing sock.

Hi Blue Bird
Gosh, we haven't seen your plummage in a way over-long time. Good to see ya.

Hi Trey. ePlaya Camp is well on it's way to becoming a reality. That said, I deeply appreciate you gracing us with your presence here. I'm really excited about this. Fascinating piece of soc sci, ain't it? Allowing the infrastructure to evolve organically rather than assignments is damn good advice.

Hmmm, and you should hang out at the Bar more often, Tish serves mighty fine virtual booze.
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby III » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:42 pm

>virtual booze

see, that's the problem. i prefer to get really drunk, rather than virtually. i never really got into the whole muddy thing.
III

Postby III » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:45 pm

speaking of bars, is there going to be a drama section at the camp?
III

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:47 pm

If I may respectfully suggest: If you want a gun debate [or anything else] have a thread drift thread or something. But for those who just might come here looking for an eplaya camp discussion, maybe a bit more on topic? Trey (III) is right (even though he can't use capital letters which can be confusing even though I know he will never change) in that if anyone were to go here in the past week or so, they would have no idea what the hell this is all about. I realize I live in a fantasy world and that the very idea of staying in the reasonable bounderies of a topic is out of the question; so in that regard, may I ask: "Has there been any reasonable developments on an eplaya camp?"

Answer: fuck you Doc, let us bitch about shooting one another before we get around to shooting you, you stupid bastard.
Dr. Pyro

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Southern Beau » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:14 am

Ah, I wish to have time to keep up in a timely manner. Saving the world is consuming.
Guns, obviously we need more gun control, gun control means hitting your target.
This, as in most areas of the world,,,,,guns killing someone is like a match causing arson.
Southern Beau

Postby stuart » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:37 am

drama section

inevitable wouldn't you think?

although this can be greatly mitigated by managing expectations and requirements.
call me baby
stuart

Postby tisha2 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:52 am

stuart wrote:
drama section

although this can be greatly mitigated by managing expectations and requirements.

i don't wanna and you can't make me.

DOC - yes, there is actual work and planning being done... Samtzu is kinda spearheading that, and several of us are working on actual, tangible, planning projects.

ya want in baby? don't knock. door's open.
ERP ~ Emergency Resource Procurement
"if i can't find it, yer f***ed"
https://www.facebook.com/pages/ERP-Emergency-Resource-Procurement/257100377734118

how we roll:
https://www.facebook.com/TheThugboat
tisha2

Postby robbidobbs » Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:05 pm

stuart wrote:
drama section

Drama? That's funny! We gots drama to spare, baby.
As a Performance Artist, you can bet you'll see gyrations, gesticulations and piroettes from me, although I have a propensity to talk about beer, sex and shit. Not necessarily in that order.

If anyone's interested in puting Poo-etry to music, feel free. I've got a shit-load of lyrics.

Hey Doc, good to see you again. Thanks for puting us back on track. What kind of accoutrements would you like to see at ePlaya Camp?
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

PreviousNext

Return to 2005 Theme Camps