Reno to BRC--shuttle transport

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Reno to BRC--shuttle transport

Postby Fathippo » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:35 pm

Hi Burners,
this is going to be my fourth Burn coming from NYC. My friends and I never seem to have a set way of getting to the playa so this year we are going to try and run a shuttle bus to and from the Burn and everything will be set before people get ready to leave. We are hoping to get funding so it will be either free or fairly inexpensive and much easier than dealing with the rental car or taxi services...just shoot me with an email at Fathippos@gmail.com if you are interersted in either a ride or helping out..T
Fathippo

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:33 am

Sounds like a good idea. If done right--out and out headache if you end up running a shuttle service instead of attending the burn.

I have questions, but maybe you have it under control. Ifyou want to put up your baby to the unblinking and attitude soaked eplaya scrutiny, we may be able to brainstorm some possible problems and solutions.

YMMV
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Fathippo » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:04 pm

I agree with you 100%..this is my fourth burn and I don't want this to be a big pain in the ass, I miss a burn 2 years ago because we couldn't find a way to get to BRC and the rental car places seem to take advantage of us Burners by jacking up the price..I just wanted to get me and my friends to BRC in a safe and economical way and then some other friends asked so I felt that this is some thing that can make the travel arrangements for fellow burners from far away (I'm in NYC) easier. The biggest problem is going to be the funding thing but I'm still working on it. I would love to hear your ideas and thoughts just shoot me an email and I appreciate your input....T
ps You can bet I'm going to find a way to get my butt on the playa and have fun!!
Fathippo

Re: Reno to BRC--shuttle transport

Postby HughMungus » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:24 pm

Where are you picking up from? I've always said I was going to "swing by the airport" on our way in every year to see if people need rides but we always end-up being pressed for time and never make it by there.

I wonder if you could save yourself some time by dropping people off in Empire from which they could catch the Tortise the rest of the way (?)
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby Fathippo » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:26 am

Thats a great idea..but will the tortoise pick them up in Empire?..so much to figure out, aye caramba!!
Fathippo

Postby HughMungus » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:32 pm

Fathippo wrote:Thats a great idea..but will the tortoise pick them up in Empire?..so much to figure out, aye caramba!!

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... rvice.html

My take on it is that the hardest part of the drive in and out is the 5mph rutted playa road (and the $20 in/out fee) so why not skip that part and just do a run into Empire/Gerlach and let the Tortise take care of the rest?
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:57 am

Don't you pay for the tortoise trip in BRC and it's a round trip? I'd definately confirm that before setting it up. Of course, maybe there's a way to hook up with tortoise and do a run to reno. Just a thought.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby AntiM » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:16 am

I volunteered at the bus depot one year ... it runs Tues - Friday I think, and yes, you do prepay for the round trip. You had to be sober, dressed, and have your ticket stub. We issued wristbands to get folks on the bus, you had to select which time slot you were going into town; seats often sold out. You couldn't buy a ticket and get on whichever bus you wanted that day. The gate crew collected the wristbands of people coming back in. Pretty much no wristband, no ride.

Two concerns: the drivers do not collect the fare, that means a volunteer at the other end to arrange room and fares (no standing on the bus). I personally wouldn't volunteer to sit in Empire, no matter how noble the cause.

Second, the bus only runs limited hours on limited days. If you didn't arrive in Empire during daylight hours, you wouldn't get a ride. And the bus might well be sold out, the five o'clock return was pretty crowded. No way to get to Burning Man on the first Monday, no way to get back on Sunday or Monday at the end of the event either.

oh, and not much room for gear either.

Check some of this stuff out, I can be kinda hazy when it comes to remembering things. And things may change, YMMV.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby HughMungus » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:41 pm

AntiM wrote:I volunteered at the bus depot one year ... it runs Tues - Friday I think, and yes, you do prepay for the round trip.

Oops, my bad. Well, I guess that won't work.

Who here thinks that people dropped off in Empire or Gerlach could pretty easily get a ride in from someone? I've gone in and out of the gate a few times and it seems like there are people coming IN all the time. I'd think it'd be easy...but I've never tried...
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:44 pm

Maybe. On one level that's caging a ride in Reno, and then caging another in Gerlach/Empire. Work. Olay,maybe the shuttle isn't 'caging' but loading and unloading baggage, being full of uncertainty twice. . . Makes me glad we bring our wheels.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby HughMungus » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:13 pm

Yeah, definitely kind of a pain in the ass, but, free. It might take you a while to find a ride but I can't imagine someone being stuck in Gerlach or Empire like they might be in Reno.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't mind giving people rides in.

theCryptofishist wrote:Maybe. On one level that's caging a ride in Reno, and then caging another in Gerlach/Empire. Work. Olay,maybe the shuttle isn't 'caging' but loading and unloading baggage, being full of uncertainty twice. . . Makes me glad we bring our wheels.
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:23 pm

I don't mind, but there's no room!

On the other hand, since the mrFishsist goes out maybe he'd give a waif a ride in. I make no guarentees of his behavior.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

I am looking for a ride.

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:14 pm

Looking to get to BRC from Reno on 27. very willing to pay, may be able to help otherwise depending on need.

Return to 2011 Share Resources