Want to take me in??

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Want to take me in??

Postby macgregor » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:19 pm

This might be the wrong forum, but after looking this seemed like a reasonable place to post as I need a hand...

I am coming to BM and have no place to camp. I'm a 23 year old dude from chicago who is coing for his first time and looking to help wherever necessary, however i can. i'll have a tent, water, food and alcohol for myself and to share. but i have no theme to offer, or many materials besides my brain, hands and what mom calls a "wonderful" face.

after looking at all the theme camps on the site, i have contacted some and the repsonses i got are minimal. some of the camps won't be there this year. some have yet to comment. some say maybe, let's wait a little longer to see what their plans are.

so, would anyone be willing to open up their camp to me? i'd repay you however possible. i realize this is a pretty open question...but after browsing the eplaya and website and other message boards, i just think this post will be the most helpful.

if you don't want to reply here you can email me: collectedorange @ hotmail . com

i'll be driving my jeep cherokee down, so would need to park it close by, and would be able to bring down any materials you might need for camp. my budget is very limited (recent college graduate with a damn crappy hourly paying job).

i know i might be able to work this out when i arrive. but i'd like to have at least my home for the week planned out if possible.
macgregor

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:31 pm

What skills do you offer? When do you plan to get there? Will you be able to take a passenger or any materials in your jeep?

Remember--this year's theme camp process has only just started. They will be posting when more information is available.

You can always hang out on the board and make connections. You don't have to have the whole thing sown up already. Have you tried the Chicago regionals? That might work in the sence of allowing you to know someone and seeing if there's a fit. And plenty of people just show up and camp and end up being friendly with their new neighbors and do just fine. A whole lot of plans are going to come and go in the next 150 days, best to be loose and ready to jump when the planets are aligned. YMMV.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby sputnik » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:46 pm

If you're coming in early (like the wednesday before) our camp might be able to fit you in. The major task between wednesday and monday will be setting up the 3 windmills

http://www.burningwindmills.com
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:51 pm

Just a reminder--if you do set up sput's windmills, you're going to have to be organized about it. Your name will have to be on a list to get you onto the playa that early, so I'm going to guess at Beginning of August you'll have to commit. Of course, in a geographical sence Detroit and Chicago might make it nice for you to caravan. Just a thought.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby sputnik » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:57 pm

I don't know exactly when they'll be leaving Detroit, but I'm guessing Monday the 22nd. And, yes, we'll need commitment. For someone who we've never met before we might ask that you make at least one road trip to Detroit to actually get some time put in on the project beforehand, or somehow else demonstrate commitment.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby ThePikey » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:05 pm

Aww, 'Fishie? Can we keep 'im? Can we? Huh? Huh? Can we? I'll take good care of him and take him for walks out to the portapotties clean up after him if he moops and feed him and he can stay under the tailgate of my truck and won't take up and space AT ALL and you'll hardly even know he's there... Pleeeeeease?

*big brown soulful puppy-dog eyes*
ThePikey

Postby Nightterror » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:10 pm

The S/O and I were very much home bodies and didn't like crowds but were very interested in the experience BM had to offer. So we spent hours researching the BM web page, bought tickets, made a shade structure, loaded the car with food and water and drove from Portland.

We had no idea what to expect or where to camp or what kind of people we would meet. Needless to say we were very nervous. When we arrived everyone was very helpful. We drove in, found an empty piece of playa and just pitched camp. By the time our camp was up we had made a dozen new friends, many of which are good friends to this day.

That was three years ago - we haven't missed a burn since and hope never to in the future. We often laugh about that very first day and how proud of ourselves we are for exploring outside of our comfort zone.

I "used" to be the type of person that had everything planned to the n'th. So, my advice is to go prepared and embrace the unexpected. You can always hook up with a camp once you are their.

If this all sounds like bullshit then you can always camp with us as long as you are willing to wash my feet twice a day, get me cold beer, and don't ever speak.

NT
I express my excitement by brutally interrogating whomever is nearby
Nightterror

Postby macgregor » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:17 am

sputnik wrote:If you're coming in early (like the wednesday before) our camp might be able to fit you in. The major task between wednesday and monday will be setting up the 3 windmills

http://www.burningwindmills.com

hey thanks man. i also appreciate the advice elsewhere you've left. i'd be willing for a roadrip to detroit. sure. i have most weekends free. if you're planning something serious sometime, let me know. if not, let me know. i would love to come and have a drink for a weekend. my skills are limited. but i offer manual labor with a smile. and i can drice down whenever necessary.

email me if you mean it. all i got from the webpage was three windmills. but even those were well done, so, yeah...
macgregor

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:17 am

ThePikey wrote:Aww, 'Fishie? Can we keep 'im? Can we? Huh? Huh? Can we? I'll take good care of him and take him for walks out to the portapotties clean up after him if he moops and feed him and he can stay under the tailgate of my truck and won't take up and space AT ALL and you'll hardly even know he's there... Pleeeeeease?

*big brown soulful puppy-dog eyes*
Can't resist those eyes.

But if he gets into any trouble--you're taking him to animal control!
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby macgregor » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:45 am

i'm house trained. and i do tricks for food. and i'm friendly and let pretty much anyone pet me. can't say i'm spayed though...
-- i don't think it's coincidence that my finger fits perfectly into my nose --
macgregor

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:19 am

Very good. But if you give us any trouble, we're giving you to DPW for their after hours dog fighting pit.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Tiara » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:34 pm

An additional resource to find camps that may be looking for members is http://www.craigslist.org

Go to the San Francisco/Bay Area version and search for "burning" in the community section. Lots of camps and individuals looking for campmates will likely be posting in the next few months.[/url]
Tiara

Postby ThePikey » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:40 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Very good. But if you give us any trouble, we're giving you to DPW for their after hours dog fighting pit.

Thunderdome?
ThePikey

Postby Bronwen » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:45 am

Hey Mac!

If it doesnt work out for you with another camp, or if it's not your style or whatever, we have space. You can send me a private message if you like to get more info. :)
Bronwen

Postby alienfry » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:53 pm

nightterror's advise is key.

it's your first burn. don't expect anything or arrive with an agenda, it will all change. shit, this being our 4th year my camp STILL pretends we can plan our stay. truth be told, besides food, shelter and clean-up, nothing goes as planned out there.

you'll have a lot of fun either which way.
awesome oppossum
alienfry

Return to 2011 Share Resources