Considering coming from uk

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Considering coming from uk

Postby psy-magpie » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:19 am

hey my name is Emma and I live in the uk. I a seriously considering coming to BM this year. I spend alot of my time wondering why humans struggle and strive to earn money which is something humans invented themselves. While I appreciate it would be near impossible to live in a society where money didn't exist I have always wondered what it would be like to live in a community where people traded on services they could provide. Then I heard about the BM festival a temporary community where money is left outside and people work together to cook, clean and entertain.

Since this would be my first year and I would be travelling all the way from the uk obviously I would limited as to what kind of input I could make to the festival. I need to do something that wouldn't involve bringing large heavy items into the camp. I was therefore thinking I may be able to help cook and tidy afterwards.

I would be grateful if any veterans could give me any advice as to what I good do to really feel like I was contributing.

Thank you

Emma :)
psy-magpie

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:05 am

Welcome, Psy-Magpie. We will all benefit just from listening to a lovely English accent. Other than that, think about gifting and run a search, check out some threads on that subject. My friend DougalDutch from Scotland is very good at this. He brought little bars of English toffee that nobody had ever tried and it was great. He was always armed to thank someone for their generosity.

I experienced more gifting than I did barter, really. You still must arrive fully self sufficient for camping in harsh desert conditions.

For your first burn, may consider joining a theme camp that is currently accepting new members. Here's one that looks like fun:
http://www.geocities.com/rx_norman/

There is a plethora of info on this board. Just start running searches and read alot before you ask too many questions and you will be well received, indeed!

Cheers from Sparks, Nevada, just 2 1/2 hours from Black Rock City.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby tonytohono » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:15 am

Emma.... I am sure if you wanted to camp with the eplayan people we can fit you in. I would recommend that you start hanging out over on the general discussion thread, get to know some of the regulars and let it be known that you are looking to join the ranks.

We may seem like a harsh bunch at first, but you'll be welcomed with open arms. Just be patient.

We'll call you the English Patient! =)
tonytohono

Postby Rian Jackson » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:26 am

tonytohono wrote:
We may seem like a harsh bunch at first, but you'll be welcomed with open arms. Just be patient.

psst. come on, tony, we ARE harsh.

welcome emma. find people you click with first, who share some vision and direction and that you wouldn't mind living with for a week or so.

the details will fall in to place much more easily after that.

FYI, i've also heard of people flying into nevada and then completing all their shopping (food, etc) there....
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

thanks for replies

Postby psy-magpie » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:36 am

hey guys thanks to all of you who have taken the time to reply to my post. I guess I have a lot of reading and research to do!! :D

I am very much a psychedellic fairy I love psy-trance and my outlook on life is try everything at least once and try to be an individual. Try not to follow the crowd even if it sometimes this may make you unpopular!

I would love to serve up english tea and cakes in my psychedellic rainbow coloured fluro gear and give a taste of the underground uk party scene. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to start my research and any hints or tips to make sure I would be well received? Obviously being English it is my inherent nature not to upset anybody.

Thanks

Emma
psy-magpie

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:39 am

Does anyone know if Hageymon is going to do his thing again this year?

Psy-magpie, Hageymon runs the "International Burner Hostel" which is both a theme camp and a place for forieners to crash in Reno (well, sparks actually) on thier way to the burn. He would be an important resource. He works like a dog, so people in your position can enjoy the burn. As for what you might bring--Smarties and Blackcurrent flavored candies don't exist in this gawdfersaken country. Okay, aquired taste, but I'd be impressed. There's a lot on gifting--hard work--people would love to have you run thier kitchen for a meal or two--good cheer--several gallons of liquour that you bought in Reno. Gift something that you can be enthusiastic about, that makes it purer.

YMMV

(ps none of my advise superceeds the excellent suggestions already made.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Alex_uk » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:16 pm

good to see another prospective uk burner (i am also making this year my first) i have spoken to hageymon via email and he is considering doing the hostel again but not yet sure. where in the uk you from?
i have been getting alot of help off the us guys i intend to spend the week with, talking to other people has helped me alot so you should do the smae
Alex_uk

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:23 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Does anyone know if Hageymon is going to do his thing again this year?

I got a nice e-mail from Hagey last night. He is hanging out at BMORG and his ticket, out-of-control party in SF with him and other select burners. I know he is changing a few things this year. I camped with him last year and things were wonderful but you're right, he works very hard and no longer advertises for new camp members, then again, a lovely Brit with tea and cakes? Every man has a weakness. :lol:

Emma: They are right, get to know some folks around here and then if you would like, I'd be happy to introduce you to the Hageymon.

Cheers from a snow-covered Sparks, Nevada.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby Isotopia » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:32 pm

Does anyone know if Hageymon is going to do his thing again this year?

Yes. He'll be doing it again. I talked to him on Wednesday and he said that 2004 left him $5000 in the hole with what was essentially a trashed house, a marginal on-playa camp and a set of shot nerves.

He'll be doing it for 2005 but it will ONLY be for people coming in from OUT OF THE COUNTRY and even then he might have to turn people away from his doodrstep that just show up unannounced. Sounds like he was somewhat disappointed by being screwed over by the hordes that showed up but did little pitching in to maintain the place. I'm sure his neighbors were amore than a little peeved by it all.
Isotopia

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:35 pm

Dang, I met him he was a sweetie.

Too bad he was taken advantage of.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Isotopia » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:37 pm

Too bad he was taken advantage of.

I think a certain amount of that is expected and he's been doing it long enough to where he knows it happens yet he still goes through with it. I think from our conversation what he's realizing is that he needs to set some boundaries for himself - and that's usually always a good thing.

BTW, he is a great guy. A super fine man.
Isotopia

Postby sparkletarte » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:19 pm

You don't have Smarties?! Hmmm, something new to share...
sparkletarte

Postby sparkletarte » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:22 pm

Oh yeah, to be well received? Just be yourself. No matter what you do, some people will like it/you and some won't. Just like regular life. Shall I bring some Red Rose tea for you? <best Brit accent> Only in Canada, you say? Pity! </accent>
sparkletarte

Postby Aldebaran » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:00 am

Well if Psy-Magpie is serving up English tea and cakes then perhaps I should join you with some native shortbread and Irn Bru...

A big hello to Mister Jellyfish Mister who met the toffee bearing Dougaldutch last year. He is a treasured friend of mine and he will be helping me pop my BM cherry in 2005!
Better to burn out than to fade away...
Aldebaran

Postby Alex_uk » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:53 am

that would be a good idea for a camp i reckon...a "traditonal" english tea room in the middle of the desert
Alex_uk

Postby Alex_uk » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:40 am

AIRLINE CITY (AIRPORT) ARRIVE DEPART AIRLINE and FLIGHT # # OF STOPS AIRCRAFT TYPE
London (LGW) 9:10 AM DELTA AIRLINES #11 0 777 Jet
Atlanta (ATL)* 1:15 PM 4:26 PM DELTA AIRLINES #404 0 763 Jet
San Francisco (SFO) 6:35 PM
Total Trip Time: 13h 25m
There are 2 Return flights available to complete this itinerary from $645.95(USD) for 1 Coach Class roundtrip ticket(s)

this is the cheapest flight i will probs find to san francisco roughly 4 hundred pounds which is actually
Alex_uk

Postby Pawi » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:27 am

Made the trip for the first time last year from the Uk and found it very easy. Don't buy your plane ticket yet wait a while and the price will fall to about £250 -£300 direct to sfo on virgin, BA and united or with 1 stop on AA.
The one major piece of advice is join a camp, it's near enough impossible for somebody coming in from abroud to do this by them selves. In a few months a list of the registered camps will appear, see if any sound like one you'd like to help.
If youve any other questions just message me and I'll be glad to help. Cheers.
Pawi

Postby Aldebaran » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:38 pm

Thanks for the tips Pawi, most helpful!
Better to burn out than to fade away...
Aldebaran

Postby rumajo » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:50 am

y'all need to check the Nature Of Burning Man thread - Emma want to come from the UK as well...
rumajo

Postby dougaldutch » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:19 am

Mister Jellyfish I thought the Highland Cow and tartan on the edges of the toffee wrapper would make it plainly clear that it is a Scottish Toffee. I am so in a huff with you now...Ok I'm done huffing :D

Emma the best piece of advice I got for gifting was to give something that is uniquely you, failing that alcohol and LOTS of it. Never goes a miss. Love your idea, think how you can do it, work the details and it shall be so, mmmm......playa dust cream cakes. Oh yeah if it seems a big task you can always ask for volunteers to help.

I was worried about all the essential gear and supplies that you need (definition of essential varies depending on the list you look at) but this year I will buy it ALL stateside and save the hassle of shipping stuff.

Check eplaya and tribe.net (I joined http://www.tribe.net/tribe/servlet/template/pub,TribeCard.vm/tribeName/bm04virgins last year), chip into conversations, make friends and from this decide where you want to camp. Having only ever stayed with a camp so its not exactly a balanced view, but it offers support, friends and somewhere you can contribute to directly. The Burner Hostel Hagey ran was excellent as got meet loads of peeps in similar situations, but agree his hospitality was unfairly abused. Hopefully staying there again this year, someone express the dog for peat sake!

Cheers

DougalD
I'm off my tits on Happiness!
dougaldutch

thanks

Postby psy-magpie » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:13 pm

Thanks dougaldutch for all the info, I am feeling somewhat reassured now. I must admit I am finding it all slightly overwhelming there is tons of stuff to think of. If I get my ass together I can represent the English by making lots of brews and you can represent Scotland with ya Irn Bru. he he. Anyway will hopefully speak to you soon, gotta dash have an exam 2morrow, vehicle design and performance, yay!!!!
psy-magpie

Postby lapeer20m » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:04 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Does anyone know if Hageymon is going to do his thing again this year?

Haggie is doing his thing last i heard. I stayed in his camp last year. I'm from the US...for any of you who visited our theme camp, i'm the guy that has the 8 person jacuzzi in the bus.

Haggie had said that he is cutting back on the rideshare project this year, and only offering rides to people who are actually staying in the hostel.

I'll be offereing a ride to anyone who wants it from reno to bm, but i'll prob enter the event on saturday before the event officially opens
lapeer20m

that bus

Postby rumajo » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:38 pm

hey Lapeer - I have to tell you as on observer that I would never get on that jacuzzi bus. First: it was full of guys from what I saw (read: I am female). Second: the water?! yeaughcckkk!! Third: We all know that the playa is no place to daily dump 500 gallons of chlorine water.
Just my opinion from a seasoned observer. ttfn!!
rumajo

Postby yoms » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:36 am

I am glad to hear that Fred is opening up the Hostel again, it almost didn't happen.

I'm sticking my neck out to say we should really do a bit more to reimburse and replay his generousity. I know he doesn't ask for anything, but I am sure some kind of collective gift would be appreciated.

Yoms
yoms

Postby Alex_uk » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:01 am

small donation of cold hard cash to the fund would go down well....especially since it cost so many thousand last year
Alex_uk

Postby dougaldutch » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:13 am

Hey Yoms, I was at the London Decompression(flashing kilt and fur coat) that was one sweet affair. Love your idea about the gift, cold hard cash is good, but a warm thoughtful gift wouldn't go a miss either. Last year those who camped were asked for a donation, not much but I am not sure how many people actually did. Hmmm...need to definitely think about this one.

Cheers

DougalD
I'm off my tits on Happiness!
dougaldutch

Postby Alex_uk » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:50 am

yeah it needs sorting since i dont think i would be able to come from the uk for the first time without the support of the vet burners
Alex_uk

Postby Killbuck » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:37 pm

Alex- If you decide to do it, the help will come!

http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby Alex_uk » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:43 am

im banking on it......im def coming unless something seriously bad happens, like my goldfish dying or amputation of limbs through a behind enemy lines covert mission being dropped in by parachute
Alex_uk

Return to 2011 Share Resources