Need a ride for 2 from Reno to the playa on friday.

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Need a ride for 2 from Reno to the playa on friday.

Postby galacticwhale » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Hello all,
This is my first year going to the burn and thanx to some very good friends I've gotten early entrance tickets. I'm just not sure how I'm going to get from Reno to the playa. I'm arriving in Reno at 9 a.m. on friday morning. Just carrying 3 parcels of luggage and some water.

Willing to pay for gas, supplies, whatever if you can help me out.

Thank you
That Guy
galacticwhale

Re: Need a ride for 2 from Reno to the playa on friday.

Postby Savannah » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:54 pm

There's a rideshare board
http://rideshare.burningman.com

and if that doesn't work out, an informal rideshare desk:

Moonsplash wrote:I worked as a volunteer last year at the airport, so the rideshare there works this way:

WHERE IS THE DESK?
Flights arrive on the second floor. Head down to the first floor and turn right to where the luggage carousels are located. The AirPlaya desks are located just before the carousels and are staffed by local Reno residents and volunteers who can help with just about any FAQ.

HOW DOES THE RIDESHARE BOARD WORK?

If you need a ride, write down when you want to leave and your contact info (a cell phone really helps). As people stop by to check in, they will look at the rideshare boards and if your timing works with theirs and they have room, they will contact you and set up a pick-up time and place.

Sometimes people just sat near the desks and held up a sign that said "NEED A RIDE TO THE PLAYA" so people could see this as they walked up.

It was amazing to see how well this simple system worked.

BUT.

I would suggest trying to work this out before arriving at the airport.

I was shocked how many people came up and said to us, "What time is the shuttle bus and how much is it?" Some people arrived with no tent or sleeping bag, not knowing they needed one. Some people didn't know they had to bring their own food or water. Lots of people were supposed to meet up with others, but had no idea what the other person looked like or didn't have their contact info. Several people realized they had left their Burning Man tickets at home. Others didn't have a place to stay that night, so we volunteers were scrambling to hook people up with hotel room shares. It was crazy!
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Return to 2011 Share Resources