To Bike or not to Bike?

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Re: To Bike or not to Bike?

Postby Mschivous » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:02 am

If you do bring a bike make sure you bring a tennis ball to but on your kick stand so the kick stand won't sink into the sand. Heck bring more than one to gift to other people with bikes. If you don't bring a bike more power to you.
Adventure is out there! *points* See you at the playa!
Mschivous

Postby alkalinenerd » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:45 pm

My first year I lived on my bike, because I wanted to see everything. After 08, (which if you guys remember the same way as I do was mostly unridable hippy sand traps) I took up the hoofing it method. Traversing great distances is the only obstacle I really come across, but if I want to be there I will eventually. I'm not in a rush. Two years ago I didnt bring a bike at all and was completely fine with it. Last year I brought one and only ended up using it to ride to the pottys. So this year i'm going bikeless again. Yeah there are some cool things in deep deep playa that it would be nice to ride to, but i'm fat and lazy and probably wasted, so I wouldnt make it out there anyway. Also there is an awesome freedom in not having a bike weigh you down, as a possession you need to be mindful of. If you're like me its better to wander aimlessly and not have to worry about which of these 1000 bikes in a pile outside of a soundcamp are yours, and it leaves you free to vagabond around on art cars and go where the wind takes you.
- Joshua from Batman School
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave
alkalinenerd

Postby BBadger » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:00 pm

In the end, if you bring your bike, you have the option of leaving it in camp and remaining on foot the rest of the trip if you don't want to use it. Without a bike, you have no option. If you have no prior experience with BM or riding a bike there, I would bring a bike just in case. It sucks not having one when your friends do.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby alkalinenerd » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:29 pm

^ good advice there, if its not such a hassle to bring one then you might as well. Maybe a bike-less campmate might ride it to the pottys and make some use of it if you dont.
- Joshua from Batman School
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave
alkalinenerd

Previous

Return to 2011 Share Resources