What can I sell/rent/barter on Eplaya?

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

What can I sell/rent/barter on Eplaya?

Postby AntiM » Mon May 05, 2008 7:36 am

The short answer is: nothing.

The long answer is TICKETS in the ticket forum.

Eplaya is non-commercial, no one may sell any item or service here. Yes, people may ask for and make recommendations on good deals or where to find specific things. No sales. No advertising of your own business. No brokering "good deals" if you stand to profit even a penny. No renting houses, sublets or roommates. No barter. Basically, no classified ads.

This is all in the Terms of Service and the Community Guidelines which all members agree to when they sign up. If you scroll over Share Resources in the Index this is the message which appears:

"Materials and expertise ... whether you need them or have them to gift, you can let folks know here. This is a GIFTING forum only, so please, no bartering, selling or purchasing."
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby mdmf007 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:26 pm

Tckets and to a lesser extent rides. thats all you should be able to sell on eplaya.

my 2 cents
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Art Car Sales

Postby RACESV » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:12 pm

I have an art car that I built and have taken out the last 2 years. Prob is I am moving out of country and can't store it anywhere and want a burner to buy it from me so it will continue to be used at the event for years to come. I don't want to scrap it and not looking to profit from it, just unload it for part of what I put into it. It would not be ok to post it here?
RACESV

Re: Art Car Sales

Postby AntiM » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:36 pm

RACESV wrote:I have an art car that I built and have taken out the last 2 years. Prob is I am moving out of country and can't store it anywhere and want a burner to buy it from me so it will continue to be used at the event for years to come. I don't want to scrap it and not looking to profit from it, just unload it for part of what I put into it. It would not be ok to post it here?

Even though you'd not be turning a profit, no, you cannot sell it here. Try Tribe or Craigslist.
AntiM

Re: No Worries

Postby AntiM » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:10 pm

Shambala wrote:
RACESV wrote:I won't post an image since I can not sell it here. I will post it on Tribe and CL. Search for it there! Thanks for the quick responses!!

Why not post a picture of it and put "NOT FOR SALE"?

This thread is not the pace to post a pic of something you can't sell, and the resulting conversation was derailing the thread. Well, more than it already was. Feel free to start a new topic in one of the other forums such as art and performance. Talk about your art car, fine, just don't mention it is for sale directly.
AntiM

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:37 pm

A note on "filling" an RV. That is acceptable as it constitutes a camp together and rideshare situation. If you own an RV and rent it out to other campers but do not stay in the RV yourself, that's renting it out and not allowed here on eplaya. A small distinction, but vital.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby AntiM » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:44 pm

A note on hauling gear and cargo out for people. Rideshares for bikes and stuff, as it were. You may offer and list a schedule/itinerary. Better to keep the gory details off the eplaya, so we don't have to ban such offers outright. Because the minute it becomes more of a business deal than a favor, it crosses the grey area lines.

Case by case basis and I do try to work with posters on the best way to get their offer out there without getting thrown off. It ain't easy.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Sham » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:36 am

Would this offer to support a Burning Man book on Kickstarter be an acceptable item to post on eplaya? It looks like an amazing book, and it's 100% Burning Man related. :D
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jul ... ?ref=email

If nothing else, they have a great video on the people of Burning Man.
Sham

Postby AntiM » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:52 am

Kickstarter is acceptable, as that is fundraising. Shilling your own book is less so. (not saying that's what you're doing, throwing that out there for the clueless).
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby AntiM » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:49 am

Please note folks, Share Resources is a gifting forum. Straight up bartering is not allowed.

The rideshares are an informal exception, as free rides are rare. The criteria between a ride for hire and a rideshare is that the driver/RV owner/pilot must be attending the event and has spare room in their vehicle which is going anyway. If someone is going to rent an RV and take it out there for you, then leave, that's commerce. If someone is going in an RV and has an open spot and wants to split expenses, that is a rideshare.

The line if quite fine, so if your post gets bounced, take a good long look at it.
We can see your IP address, no funny games with multiple usernames trying to get around the moderators.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby AntiM » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:30 am

Dear eplayans, I have just deleted two pages worth of off topic posts concerning playazon, souls, hookers and blow. Please, not on this thread. I do not want to lock this thread as it is useful for real questions and answers. Take your snark elsewhere, I will be hitting the delete button.
Thank you.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Re: What can I sell/rent/barter on Eplaya?

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:36 pm

You definitely cant sell Early Entry Passes. If a rideshare is coming early with you and needs an EA for the carpool group thats one thing.

Anyone trying to sell an EA pass will have the post dumped like any other commerce. Remember, an EA pass may not be tied to an individual person at the gate for entry, but the pass IS tied to the person it was issued too. Sell a pass and have the powers that be track it back to the person it was issued too and you can burn bridges for them.

Last - The pre-sold food thing sounds good at face value, but Eplaya is not the place to sell it - even if it is a burner owned business. Thats what the resources issue of JRS is for, for months you could have signed up to have your burner products listed on the website and in the JRS.

plan accordingly for 2012.

MDMF - Mod at large.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Return to 2011 Share Resources