SHADE STRUCTURE made with steel pipes - advice needed

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

SHADE STRUCTURE made with steel pipes - advice needed

Postby msenard » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:40 am

hi there burner brothers and sisters...

this year, we would like to build a shade structure over our tents and are running into some technical difficulties. We don't want to rely on trucks and rvs to tie the tarp above the tents so we would like to build a shade structure made out of steel pipes (with a tarp). Dimensions are roughly 20 by 40 feets.

The problem: none of us has ever done that, so we are looking for advice from a person or a company to help us build this .

We're in SF, so any resources you might have would be very helpful, such as stores where we can find the raw materials, contacts of people/companies that could guide us through the process, ect...

Life is so beautiful when playa time is getting closer!
msenard

Postby Dork » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:02 am

Does it need to be one large 20x40 structure or can you live with supporting poles and such in the middle? Here's a few simple solutions to get you started, but none are 20x40. You'd need to have several of them for that much area.

http://tribes.tribe.net/shadegeeks/thre ... 4e690982dc

http://tribes.tribe.net/shadegeeks/thre ... f1c763aeca

http://tribes.tribe.net/shadegeeks/thre ... 4977837896
Dork

Postby MikeVDS » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:23 pm

Since you're asking here I'm guessing you won't be welding your own joints.

The simple easy, home depot way:
Make 2, 20'x20' structures. You can find tarps that fit and you have more flexibility with how you use them. Also more manageable. I'll give you a rough way to make ONE flat roof 20'x20' (if you want two follow directions twice). Flat roof means you'll have to keep it from gathering water if rain happens to hit, but they are easier and good for the wind.

Use the biggest pipe you want and that you're willing to lug around. If you're using pipe, 1' schedule 40 (standard), you should be fine. If you want something beefier, make it beefier. I think some home depots will cut and thread the ends of the pipe for you.

Cut 8, 7' lengths for the legs with one side threaded NPT. You'll probably want one leg every 10', so one for each corner and one on each side. Adjust length for the height. The bottom of these do not need threads so you can always make it tall and cut it down easily later.

Cut 7, 10' lengths for the roof of the structure. You'll have 2, 10' lengths along each side (we'll get to the 8th piece soon), connected in the middle to a leg with a T pipe fitting and at the corners with a pipe fitting with a hole on each axis (x, y, z, not sure what those are called)

Buy
4 (x,y,z) fittings for the corners
4 T fittings for the mid section of each side
1 union fitting

You want to cut your last 10' length in half and subtract the length of your particular union from one or half its length from both of your ~5' sections. This union will allow you to thread all of your pieces together.

Now you just need to cover it with a tarp and stake it down. and remember all pipes need NPT threads on each end except the legs which only need one end threaded.

I just made this up right now so make sure to double check everything and don't blindly build it, but it should work as is.
MikeVDS

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Postby Dork » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:51 pm

Have you used 20'x20' tarps with no support in the middle like that before? I was hoping to build something similar, but with smaller tarps because I'm worried about the wind catching it.
Dork

Postby MozyBonz » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:39 pm

The shade over the tent was made from tie straps, camouflage and 1â€
MozyBonz

Postby MozyBonz » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:04 pm

We're in SF, so any resources you might have would be very helpful

PM me I'm in Sac.
MozyBonz

Postby MikeVDS » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:14 pm

Nope, I haven't done it without support. Good point that it probably needs a cross member. For that you could lash something across since it's not really going to be supporting much. Maybe even use some line and a tie down strap and just shoot it across the middle.

Our last one had a pitched roof and sheered off the rebar stakes in the wind. I'm not certain which one will be worse. The pitched will have more forces on it when it's feet are flat but the flat will be a bigger sail once it starts to tip.
MikeVDS

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Postby MozyBonz » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:27 pm

[quote="MozyBonz"]Image

The shade over the tent was made from tie straps, camouflage and 1â€
MozyBonz

Postby gyre » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:30 pm

One option-Shelter Systems
You can use different size pipe too.

http://www.shelsys.com/

[/b]
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby EspressoDude » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:48 pm

check out EspressoCamp tent made from cyclone fence posts, and electrical conduit 1" and 1 1/4", with 2" pipe center column.

Aluminet shade cloth

Held up fine in the blow Mozy mentioned earlier

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=19086&start=0
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby gyre » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:58 pm

I saw a tent design used as a med tent at Everest that seemed to hold up in the wind well.
It seemed to have a manufactured frame that could be used with any rectangular tarp.
It was similar to the quonset hut type tents and shades, except that it had a more shallow curve up to six feet high and then curved into a more rounded curve across the roof.
This allowed much more useful space.
It had multiple ribs with small pieces tying it together linearly down the sides.
It shouldn't be hard to make one with a conduit bender.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Thanks

Postby msenard » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:02 pm

Thank you my friends for all the great advice, you are (as usual) the BEST. Please visit us at LE KAFE, at the corner of 9:30 and A to see if we managed to make it happen!
Peace!
msenard

Return to 2011 Share Resources