Wanted: Used Art Car For Trade

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Wanted: Used Art Car For Trade

Postby Playadancer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:04 am

Hey burners, we are looking for someone that wants to pass on an art car of any sort... We can work out a great trade for ?$?

We are a group of burners with many years experince..

Your welcome to forward this note to anyone you want..

Daniel
Playadancer

Postby misfit » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:28 am

daniel, check out craigslist.org,,, bayarea... they turn up for sale quite offen....
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

!

Postby Toolmaker » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:49 pm

have you given any thought to making your own? its not all that hard really.. just let your creative juices flow. you could always bring a car to BM and let the participants help make it an art car. hell for that matter you can have a little camp based on making a car into rolling art. one of my fav small cars is the VW from Cali with the OMYGAWD tag.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Re: !

Postby nocturnal_steve » Tue May 15, 2007 8:28 pm

Toolmaker wrote: you could always bring a car to BM and let the participants help make it an art car.

NOT !

Read the criteria for art cars on the BM site, they have to be preapproved and subject to inspectiopn by the DMV department of mutant vechicles.

Why do you want to buy and bring someone else's art, anyway ? "Art Cars"
that are primarily a excuse for transportation are discouaged, and will not be allowed by the DMV.
nocturnal_steve

Burning Since: 1997

Postby Toolmaker » Tue May 15, 2007 9:08 pm

nocturnal_steve wrote:
Toolmaker wrote: you could always bring a car to BM and let the participants help make it an art car.

NOT !

Read the criteria for art cars on the BM site, they have to be preapproved and subject to inspectiopn by the DMV department of mutant vechicles.

Why do you want to buy and bring someone else's art, anyway ? "Art Cars"
that are primarily a excuse for transportation are discouaged, and will not be allowed by the DMV.

Where does it say that an art car cannot have participants take part in its creation/modification etc? It is quite common for folks in the community to work together on art cars. It is true however that your art car project has to be checked by someone in DMV before it comes in. The more safety checks you have the better the vehicle will look to them. I decided a while ago to use a 90 Chevy pickup I have for an art car. On either side there will be blank canvas that can be removed. The community will make the art, possibly daily. This can be gifted to be shared with others. I could find nothing to show that this is prohibited by the ORG. I could also see no reson why anyone would have a problem with folks in the community making art at BM. I would imagine sections of body or other mediums can be blank on any art car. I'm sure someone in a crowd of 40,000+ wouldn't mind pickin up a brush, marker etc. and making something for the community.
Toolmaker

Postby nocturnal_steve » Tue May 15, 2007 9:33 pm

Toolmaker wrote:
nocturnal_steve wrote:

NOT !

Where does it say that an art car cannot have participants take part in its creation/modification etc?

Oh, I see, the participants will do the modifications outside of the event, on the side of the road, in Gerlach perhaps ? Good idea ! By the way toolmaker, I am curious to know if your "blank canvas" art car has been approved ???
nocturnal_steve

Postby Dustdevil » Tue May 15, 2007 11:35 pm

Below is the definition of a Mutant Vehicle. An art car may not be modified enough to get an invitation. An application with drawings or photos will have to clear the DMV before it gets an invite. If it has flame effects it will also have to clear the Performance Safety Team. Once an invite is issued that letter will allow the vehicle into the front gate. Without that letter the vehicle will be placed in long term parking just outside the Gate area until the Festival is over. Once in it must pass DMV inspection. There is nothing that prevents further Mutation once the vehicle arrives, but it must already be a mutant vehicle to get an invite. A truck with a canvas on the sides is not going to be considered a MV.

Mutant Vehicles - Definition and Licensing Criteria

Definition of a Mutant Vehicle at Burning Man
Burning Man defines a Mutant Vehicle as a motorized conveyance that is radically, stunningly, (usually) permanently, and safely modified. For aesthetic reasons, Mutant Vehicles should not represent the base vehicle (i.e., a bus should not look like a bus; a golf cart should not look like a golf cart), and for safety reasons, they should not mimic any type of emergency services or law enforcement vehicle. Mutant Vehicles include non-standard motorized vehicles such as couches, beds, and armchairs. Let the words "whimsical" and "surreal" guide you through your creative process.

What is NOT Considered a Mutant Vehicle?
The following are not considered Mutant Vehicles, and will not be granted a license:

Unmutated vehicles of any kind
Vehicles only stripped to the frame and engine
Street vehicles with minimal changes or temporary decorations
Low riders, classic cars, monster trucks, dune buggies, and hot rods (there are other venues for these vehicles to be appreciated)
Vehicles that have not met the DMV licensing criteria
Mutant Vehicle Licensing Criteria
In order to be eligible for a Mutant Vehicle license (and to retain the license for the duration of the event), you must satisfy ALL of the following criteria:

Demonstrate the intent of the Mutant Vehicle.
What's your motivation? If convenience is your primary goal, please rethink your desire to have a Mutant Vehicle on the playa. The only Mutant Vehicles to receive licenses will be radical works of art, or vehicles with a high participation factor.
Comply with all DMV pre-registration guidelines and deadlines.
Mutant Vehicle pre-registration is MANDATORY. You will be asked to include a photo or sketch of your vehicle, the safety considerations you are making, detailed information about the vehicle, and your intent in bringing this vehicle to Burning Man. You'll also be asked to agree in advance to honor BRC driving protocols.
Include safety in your design considerations.
You must demonstrate that you are thinking about safety in terms of your vehicle's design, passengers, and operating procedures. During pre-registration, you will be asked specific questions, including the dimensions of your vehicle, how people can get on and off of your vehicle, and whether your vehicle includes trailers.
Adhere to Black Rock City vehicle/driving protocols.
Black Rock City has a few simple guidelines/driving protocols (Section 2). If you violate these community guidelines, you'll lose your Mutant Vehicle license at a minimum; your vehicle can also be impounded, and you can be fined by law enforcement and/or ejected from the event. In addition, owners that cannot follow our simple rules run the risk of not being licensed in subsequent years.
Create a Mutant Vehicle that meets the requirements of being a highly participatory, visually stimulating, and whimsically beautiful/surreal contribution to Black Rock City.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby Toolmaker » Wed May 16, 2007 11:58 am

nocturnal_steve wrote:
Toolmaker wrote:
nocturnal_steve wrote:

NOT !

Where does it say that an art car cannot have participants take part in its creation/modification etc?

Oh, I see, the participants will do the modifications outside of the event, on the side of the road, in Gerlach perhaps ? Good idea ! By the way toolmaker, I am curious to know if your "blank canvas" art car has been approved ???

Obviously you do not see.. try reading the original post and my reply. The canvas will be painted AT THE EVENT. Are you even with the DMV? I can find no problem with my mutant vehicle design. And I see you can't cite anything that forbids my idea for participants to add to the vehicle. I am well aware of what makes a mutant vehicle and what Odwally and the gang will approve.

Are you really curious? Honestly it seems that you would rather discourage community participation than encourage it. I am curious.. how much experience do you have with DMV and mutant vehicles? You seem to have some negative feelings toward mutant vehicles. Did someone at DMV shoot down your party barge?
Toolmaker

Postby Toolmaker » Wed May 16, 2007 12:07 pm

Dustdevil wrote:A truck with a canvas on the sides is not going to be considered a MV.

The design is a little more than just canvas. The truck is going to be stripped down with a new "body". Trust me when I say that it will not look stock in the least. I am using the truck because of the beefy frame and suspension. The 4.3 L engine should be able to handle the load I expect to put on it. Originally I was going to do a 2 story job but decided to make it longer instead. I don't want to give away too much but I will give another hint.. LOTS and LOTS of EL wire.. and COUCHES! The couches will be made using recycled materials. With the exception of energy efficient lighting and a few other things almost everything is going to be from recycled items. I am currently looking into recycling old billboard vinyl to utilize for my "blank canvas" needs.
Toolmaker

Postby Dustdevil » Wed May 16, 2007 12:24 pm

That description makes things more clear. Your original description really sounded like a pickup truck with some plywood on the sides. It really is difficult to describe an artistic project using words only. I would also suggest grocery stores for smaller sections of canvas and vinyl. They use it in their ad banners and then throw them away. We used several last year for our camp signs and it worked great. They have lots of eyelets around the perimeter making them easy to attach.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby nocturnal_steve » Sat May 19, 2007 6:41 pm

I did read your post

Toolmaker wrote: its not all that hard really.. jyou could always bring a car to BM and let the participants help make it an art car(snip)......Honestly it seems that you would rather discourage community participation

I am trying to discourage ignorance and misleading statements.
nocturnal_steve

Postby Toolmaker » Sat May 19, 2007 9:13 pm

nocturnal_steve wrote:I did read your post

Toolmaker wrote: its not all that hard really.. jyou could always bring a car to BM and let the participants help make it an art car(snip)......Honestly it seems that you would rather discourage community participation

I am trying to discourage ignorance and misleading statements.

I see you still refuse to cite sources. Whats the matter? Can't find anything that prohibits participants from making an art car on the playa? Don't worry bro.. I couldn't find anything prohibiting my idea either. Maybe the "BORG" is out to get you and modified the website to remove the ban on community participation of art cars just to make you look foolish.
Toolmaker

Postby frenchblue1 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:11 pm

anyway....I do know of one art car that is being retired and possibly sold. She was a great ride for many years that brought many new friends together...I will post a pic.
frenchblue1

Return to 2011 Share Resources