WARNING: Gift ticket being auctioned on eBay

Yep, you can buy, sell, barter or gift them here.

WARNING: Gift ticket being auctioned on eBay

Postby PurpleKoosh » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:32 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6550941038

The ticket shown in the photos with this eBay listing is a GIFT ticket. GIFT tickets are the exceedingly rare complimentary tickets issued by the ORG, and - as with all tickets to the event - are not supposed to be sold at a profit.

I've reported the auction to eBay's Customer Service department, and hope to see the auction pulled in short order. I'm also emailing a copy of the link to Participant Services (though hopefully someone there is monitoring this folder as well) so they can track down the person to whom the ticket was issued - and hopefully tack his hide to the smokehouse wall.

I'm so disgusted by this I'm ready to chew nails and spit rust.

EDIT: It's now come up that there is at least one other auction using the same photo; in that listing, at least, the seller notes that he's using a photo he found online. So who the hell knows what's really going on?
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003

send a message

Postby sdlarry » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:25 pm

This guy says he is trying to sell the ONE ticket because he and his girlfriend can't go. Did he already sell one? geesh! It's to fund their skydiving adventure. Anyone can contact teh seller on ebay. this is what I sent him:

"you're kidding, right? it's a GIFT ticket. you should be ashamed of yourself! you've missed the whole concept of the event."

I'd say everyone who is disgusted should send him a similar message.
sdlarry

same guy sold another GIFT ticket

Postby sdlarry » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:37 pm

Just checked...the guy sold a gift ticket on july 24 to a user by the nale of: youngfezziwig - gave him a positive rating...sold for $222.50

is there any way to check the serial # - gift0106 - that's for the one up for sale now. I couldn't read the # for the one that sold last week
sdlarry

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:26 pm

Sure there is - call the BMOrg office in SF and ask. That's easy to find out. Just do it.

Altho I can see someone gifting one of these (more inna sec), I *personally* can't see someone selling one, unless it was a comp for a previous years work and they just can't go (after busting their tushes ike mad for it)... but even then, it's a comp, not a for sale. I'd gift it. But that's me.

On the other hand - it's the owner's ticket - If it's his or hers fair and square - then, like it or not, it's theirs to do with what they want. I'd call before I bought any of these, but if that's what they chose (or need) to do, it's on them.

BTW... there are a few different reasons one can get a comp ticket - usually has to do with selling ones soul or being a mucky muck. Or really busting ones butt and donating ulcer space to the org >>grins<<.

My thoughts - I guard mine like gold (yes I do get them, in exchange for ulcers, freely given with love! >>giggles<<) and if for some reason I couldn't go (after considering seppuku or throwing myself into a volcano or something else less painful than missing BRC) I'd gift it to someone who needs it. After all, the Man gifted it to me, didn't he? Who am I to profit from a gift? Especially a precious one like this.

Who knows, the buyer *may* have wanted it for it's rarity value, too. # 106? Cool. There's an idea - maybe I'll use the one I bought for my roomie (who can't make it this year) for my gate and frame my gift one this year. Neat idea - thanks! Unless someone is in serious desperate need - . It's *always* cool to gift a ticket, if you have the means...

That's my story - I'm stickin' to it!!

Hugs,
BBS

586... 259... AT&I...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

purple koosh....

Postby jafd » Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:53 pm

[size=18][/size]
I don't think its fair to judge a persons reason for selling or gifting a comp ticket. If they dedicate themselves to a cause and bust thier tale and then rewarded with a bonus of a comp ticket I don't think its our place to cast judement upon them.

AND there is no policy on selling or gifting of tickets be it 145 level, 250 or gift

lets not get carried away with stoning the person who sells a gift ticket-we don't know their circumstances-If i had a family emergency lets say, and was unable to go, I may sell the gift ticket to recoup costs of cancellation...

Assuming that selling the gift ticket is wrong, it couldn't be sold unless someone bought it. In my line of work we use the analogy of a drug dealer. Is the dealer the only rotten one in the situation? NO, of course not. The sale cannot be made without a buyer. If two people exchange goods/services/monies for an earned gift, how is it our place to judge it?

I think this all boils down to a matter of opinion and what people believe to be ettiqute...

Happy Trails,

JAFD
jaf-dee
jafd

Gift Tix

Postby bex » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:26 pm

It is true...

We are aware that these tickets are being sold and that this does happen from time to time.
On occasion people receive gift tickets for work they are doing instead of payment - if they are gifted more tickets than they need or will use - they are allowed to sell them.

We would of course prefer these tickets be re-gifted and not sold - but that is up to the person they have been gifted them too. It was a gift for them from Burning Man and it is trusted they will do what they deem to be the right thing with it.

Always know that if i a ticket says "Gift" on it - it was not originally paid for and you should think twice or ask before purchasing one.
bex

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp of Doom!

gift ticket

Postby sdlarry » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:31 pm

Thanks, bex for setting me straight. While selling a gifted ticket is not what everyone would choose to do, I sometimes forget that the "gift" is for the new owner to do with as they feel is right. It's no different than if i gifted my $175 ticket to someone who decided for whatever reason to then sell it.
sdlarry

Postby Jus Say Ventura » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:25 pm

Don't worry you drool fools its just Larry making a little extra cash that's all!
"Da Mind, Da Bod! Da Governor of BRC!"
(Governor since 2001)
Jus Say Ventura

Return to 2005 Tickets