Are you a wealthy philanthropist?

Yep, you can buy, sell, barter or gift them here.

Are you a wealthy philanthropist?

Postby griffingirl » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:38 pm

Unwealthy graphic designer seeking the kindness and generosity of anyone who can afford to gift a pair of tix for '05 burn! Will gladly exchange for design work - web, print, you name it. I'm a professional with over 10 years experience, no hack job here! Visit my site for proof - griffindesignco *dot* com
it all comes down to this. . .
griffingirl

Postby Badger » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:38 pm

Seven months to go.

At the $250 level that's a tad over $1/day.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:37 am

Badger, don't be so hard on her. That dollar a day used to be her coffee money, now it goes to Sally Struthers and other starving children.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ranger Genius » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:11 pm

Probably Peter Popov, actually.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby sparkletarte » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:08 pm

And it begs the question, if you can't afford the tickets, where will you get the other $800-$1,000 you need to get to and stay at BRC? For me the ticket is the least of the expenses, and the other ones are easier to cut down on in order to afford the ticket.

I will give you something in that you are at least offering to exchange it for services. Maybe you could get a contract and put the money from that contract away for your tickets.

However, if you do find a wealthy philanthropist, I could use some money to reno my house, and I'd really like a new truck too. And could you take me shopping? My closet is kind of sparse. Also, wealthy person, I'm sure there are a bunch of people where you live who have no home or food- they might appreciate some money too.
sparkletarte

Postby Tiara » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:36 pm

Burning Man has programs that offer low-income and scholarship tickets. Read the "tickets" page at www.burningman.com for the details.
Tiara

Postby Tiara » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:39 pm

tickets.burningman.com contains the following information:

ABOUT LOW INCOME TICKETS
There are 2000 tickets available for $145. These tickets are reserved for our lower income participants. Please apply for this ticket price only if you truly need one. This program differs from the scholarship program.

These tickets are available from 1/12/05 - 7/1/05 or while supplies last.
Applications sent before or after those dates will NOT be accepted. PLEASE DO NOT FEDEX OR OVERNIGHT YOUR APPLICATION! If you can afford to overnight your envelope, you should purchase a higher-level ticket.
Please read ALL information about Low Income Tickets before applying. You MUST follow all directions in order to be considered for a $145 ticket.

Requirements for low income tickets:
1. Tickets are available through mail order only
2. Applications must be postmarked no earlier than January 12, 2005 and no later than July 1, 2005
3. Limit one (1) - $145 ticket per person
4. Participants MUST fill out an application and mail it to the address below. The application can be found here: http://tickets.burningman.com/lowcosttix
5. Payment in the form of a money order or cashier's check made out to Burning Man MUST accompany your application. We will not hold applications for payment. It will be returned to you
6. To qualify you cannot have already purchased tickets at any other level
7. There is NO guarantee that you will receive a ticket at this level
8. If you do not have access to the internet, please contact us through regular mail (PO Box listed below) or call our hotline (415-TO FLAME) and we will mail you an application
9. We will return payment if you do not qualify. Be sure to save the receipt for your money order in case we return it to you

PLEASE DO NOT mail your application in BEFORE January 12th or it will be returned.

Send requests for applications or completed applications with payment to:
Burning Man
Attn: Low Cost Tix
PO Box 884688
San Francisco, CA 94188-4688

SCHOLARSHIP TICKETS
The ticket scholarship program also distributes a limited number of low cost tickets each month. For questions or to request consideration for the monthly allotment please email ON OR AFTER JANUARY 5th to: scholarship [AT] burningman [DOT] com and you will be emailed the link to the online application. UPDATE: The application may not be available on January 5th exactly but shortly after.

If you do not have easy computer access, send a request to the above email address or write our PO Box with your physical mailing address and we will mail you a paper application.
Deadline to apply: July 1, 2005.
Mailing address: Burning Man
PO Box 884688, San Francisco CA 94188-4688
Tiara

Wow, such visceral reactions!

Postby griffingirl » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:58 pm

First, I'd like to say that I thought it was worth a try. Given that I'm the type of person that if I myself were wealthy, I would certainly consider purchasing a pair of tickets for some random person... I'd consider it a genuine gesture in the spirit of Burning Man. If between now and August I DO happen to come into that money, I will certainly put my money where my mouth is!

Second... Sally Struthers? Oy, I'm not even going to TOUCH that one... come ON!

I am actually offering a service in exchange, and frankly, depending on the service, the recipient of said service could come out well ahead. Try pricing out the cost of having a web site designed and built. You'd definitely come out ahead.

As for the money needed to GET to the burn... yes, that is a factor as well. I went last year, and have all my gear from then, so that's taken care of. All I really need is gas money and food/water money. That's a lot more feasible if an exchange of services were to come into play toward getting tickets. And if it WEREN'T feasible...then, I'd just pay it forward and give the tickets to someone else. I'm a big believer in kharma, and would have no real interest in profiting from anything like this, were it to actually happen.

sally struthers... ohmygod...

Sorry you all seem to be so pissed off about this... except for the person who posted the instructions for the low cost tickets... I figure it's all or nothing, if I can afford the tix I'll pay the full price for them and let someone else have access to the lower cost tickets. I'm either going to be able to afford the tickets or I'm not, it's as simple as that.

Maybe I do have alotta nerve... but the worst that can happen is someone will say "no." I figure it's worth a try!

Maybe next year I'll find a post like my own here, and I'll be the one who'll be the "wealthy philanthropist."
griffingirl

Did you forget what burning Man is about???

Postby Stephie4321 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:29 pm

I think some people do not understand what burning man is about!!! If I had the money a would help you out but I barely have money to go.

But in the true spirit of the event I can offer $5 towards tics. It is not much but it is all I can do. Maybe if you could find enough people to give you what they can, you could go. I invite anyone who can to embrass the spirit of burning man and give what you can. A $1 even. I hope that other will follow my example rather than attact someone for asking for help in exchange for a service.

To all of you that wrote hatefull responses maybe you need to ask yourself what you are doing at burning man?????
Stephie4321

Postby Badger » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:17 am

I think some people do not understand what burning man is about!!!

Stephie, please enlighten the unwashed Visigoth masses. What is Burning Man about?
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:37 am

Badger wrote:
I think some people do not understand what burning man is about!!!

Stephie, please enlighten the unwashed Visigoth masses. What is Burning Man about?
And when you're done with that, I need a full explination of sex.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby griffingirl » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:48 am

You know, this was all supposed to just kind of be a joke. Kind of tongue-in-cheek. I can't believe how f*ing intense everyone's gotten over this. Lighten up!
griffingirl

Postby griffingirl » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:50 am

oh by the way, there's $120 in the Burning Man fund... for anyone still all intense and hard core about the "hand out," I AM saving up! That's a lot of blowjobs!

ha ha ha
griffingirl

Postby spectabillis » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:53 pm

griffingirl wrote:You know, this was all supposed to just kind of be a joke. Kind of tongue-in-cheek. I can't believe how f*ing intense everyone's gotten over this. Lighten up!

Yeah, thanks for not taking it too personally. I think some of the backlash comes from a lot of people who sigh up to a camp, or connect with a group and show up thinking that everything they need is going to be supplied to them. I am not saying you are doing this.

People voulenteer their effort to set up these camps, and you would be surprised at the number of others who are disrespectful and take advantage of that. Its sad, because it kills the spirit of community.

I think its also why many people in the 'hippie' crowd get a bad rap, because they are viewed as being like this. Maybe its a sign of a select few ruining it for everyone else? Dunno.

But best of luck to ya.
spectabillis

Give until it hurts?

Postby Fireweed » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:38 pm

Granted the sweet days of standing in front of a Grateful Dead concert with one finger in the air seem to be long gone.
Whats taken its place, is everyone for themselves.
I miss those days, I was always the one with the extra ticket.
I understand the importance of complete self sufficiency on the playa and it's true there will always be those selfish bastards who get past the greeting station without what they need and grandiose faith that someone wil take pity upon them.

However barter and trade is a different vent.
It turns out that i have an extra ticket.
And I still beleive in the giving spirit.
I also need a website for my preschool.
email me and we could talk.
Peace to all of you
Fireweed Lupine Bear
Hello fellow Burners, Happy to be here
Fireweed

Re: Give until it hurts?

Postby the_iconoclast » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:20 pm

Fireweed wrote:Granted the sweet days of standing in front of a Grateful Dead concert with one finger in the air seem to be long gone.
Whats taken its place, is everyone for themselves.
I miss those days, I was always the one with the extra ticket.
I understand the importance of complete self sufficiency on the playa and it's true there will always be those selfish bastards who get past the greeting station without what they need and grandiose faith that someone wil take pity upon them.

However barter and trade is a different vent.
It turns out that i have an extra ticket.
And I still beleive in the giving spirit.
I also need a website for my preschool.
email me and we could talk.
Peace to all of you
Fireweed Lupine Bear

Now THAT is cool... If I find you on the playa man, I am handing you a beer. If you don't drink - you are invited to share some Bahraini Molasses shisha in my hooka... or even if you do drink...
the_iconoclast

Postby Lassen Forge » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:29 pm

Been here sitting for a few minutes... just, well, grateful... that the spirit really *is* still there. Huge grins on my face, and a sense (and sigh) of relief...

I remember it wasn't just the dead... a lot of people bought tix to give away... a lot of people brought joints, lit it, passed it on, never expecting to see it again, but in the love of the experience of sharing - and never expecting (goddess forbid) money for it. Sat on a strangers shoulders once becsuse the offer was there. My best friend back then ws passed overhead to the stage at a BOC show because she always wanted to be in front - and the band was so touched (I think) after the security roadies talked to her that after that song they let her sit *on* stage for the show.

What happened to the love? Why do people have to go from giving to greedy, and why can't people go back to being giving and loving? Well, at least in this case, a womyn is going to BRC and a preschool gets it's web presence - a double-plus win (IMO)...

Blessings be...
BBS
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby griffingirl » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:02 pm

wow. I am truly humbled. I have had the crap week from hell. It's been a living country song...unbelievably so. I have just wrapped up an 8 month project (a very good thing - I'm not complaining about that at all; it's the We'Moon, if anyone knows it - I'm their graphic designer, and well, it's a fabulous way to give back to the community at large)...but between relationship problems and my dog dying, well, it's been a week. I'm not here to complain though, so don't all you nay-sayers go getting your panties in a wad.

All I want to say is that I am totally uplifted, rejuvinated and humbled all at once. Ticket or no ticket, I am SO going to build this guy a web site for a pre-school. Another opportunity to give back to society.

And thanks to all of you who do see all these threads for exactly what they are...and for appreciating that I'm not just a taker here. I really needed that this week. I hope that somewhere, something I do affects all of you in a positive way.
griffingirl

Postby spectabillis » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:22 pm

griffingirl wrote:All I want to say is that I am totally uplifted, rejuvinated and humbled all at once. Ticket or no ticket, I am SO going to build this guy a web site for a pre-school. Another opportunity to give back to society.

wow...
spectabillis

Sweet!!!

Postby Fireweed » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:16 am

Never assume anything about anyone, they will always be full of suprises.

Well Griffingirl, you've got a great website showing the graphic work you do. It also rocks that you are two hours from me...Olympia.

This is an interesting point as well, Your name is Griffin...my extremely with it and before her time mother used the same name for her business the Griffin Corporation out of Dallas. She designed rides for Six Flags and the JFK Mural at the museum in Dallas back in the early 70's, miss that old gal she rocked!

Griffin has good energy!

Let's not worry about all the details yet with the website, we've got time. Do you have a way to get there, do you have a camp, etc.
Last year was my first year and I hung out with TOTEM.
I am going to the BR Ranger Training in Seattle...mediation interests me. I noted from my experience last year that being on the playa at BM was very similar to an adult preschool, just heli more fun!

Hey to Iconoclast, I'll take that Beer...and perhaps whatever else and bring something to share. After teaching for ten months and having a summer session, I will seriously have "this gal needs a party" written across my forehead!!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to it!
Looking forward to coming home
Fireweed Lupine Bear[/quote]
Fireweed

Postby griffingirl » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:52 am

I've got a camp, I've got tons of gear left over from last year including the frame for our geodesic dome we built last year...food, water, supplies and a ride shouldn't be a problem, as I'm planning WAY ahead for all of that, including gas money to get there and back (I LOVE a road trip and simply MUST do the drive again!) It's all the stuff combined with the ticket that has seemed to be uh..well...challenging. If it turns out by August that I would've had enough money for the ticket, you better be sure I'll be paying it forward. No doubt about that.

You're a chick! Goes to show the truth never to make assumptions; for some reason I thought you were a guy...my head's been up my ass lately, so there's another thing it just goes to show...it's dark up there and things get muffled easily...ha ha ha

Hang on to that info I gave you in that PM and contact me when you're ready! And DEFINITELY contact me if you ever get down this way...I live on the way to Bagby, and know a great spot we could meet up just to say hi and so on!
griffingirl

Postby griffingirl » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:54 am

Hey...wait, which one was TOTEM? Giant penis-handled weighted slug smasher thing?
griffingirl

Postby griffingirl » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:57 am

oh wait, never mind...
griffingirl

TOTEM and massage

Postby Fireweed » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:37 pm

I will reply to the PM later.

The big green Mash tents on the Esplanade with all the massage tables inside. You can get a great massage there everyday.

Big penis handled thing...what where's that?

Well when giving massage to some gentleman they usually got noticebly erect and though its been talked about amongst the other massage folks its not our responsibility to take care of that. Although I admit I had hard time literally keeping a strait face. And some actually came out and asked, but I told them they could ask my partner who was usualy giving massage to some beautiful woman on the table next to me. He would just wink and smile. Why is it the women can get their breast massaged, but...ooops thats probably a subject for a different post.

We will hook up soon, take care
Fireweed
Fireweed

Postby Elemental666 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:35 pm

There is actually a medical explanation for why men get erect during a massage, it means who ever is doing the massaging is doing it right and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being turned on. Its all in how the nervous system controls the penial state. Not having an erection is, as far as the nervous system is concerned, and active process. The more relaxed the individual becomes the more likey he will become erect. Erections are a passive state. So why then do men have erectile problems later in life? Well nothing is perfect, the problem is usually that for some reason the signal to relax the parts of the nervous system that control erections aren't getting the proper signal. There was a really well written article in some science mag, can't remember which one, that explaned it in simple language. Anyway, this is also why men who get real good sleep, wake up with hard ons...

Now if the guy has a boneer and is asking you to do something about it, that may just be your avg everyday horn dog. Personally, if the massage doesn't give me a boner, I look for another masseuse (sp?). Afterall, I do get massage for the relaxtion they impart...

Dunno why I felt the urge to blather on about this...
Elemental666

I had no idea

Postby Fireweed » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:20 am

Wow, that's a terrific explanation.
I will use that info on the playa this year...

Although you may have ruined it for my partner.
I always took the morning wood as a sign for early morning gymnastics.
Perhaps, I'll choose to ignore that information on his behalf.

So I guess from now on I should take that as a high compliment to the massage I give. Although I admit the horndogs are always entertaining.
Except the last few days on the playa when the frat boys show up, there just rude and I ignore them.

Thanks allot for the info and we hope to see you in the tents for your desert massage!

Fireweed Lupine Bear
Fireweed

Postby griffingirl » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:55 pm

The penis handled thing was this giant...uh, I don't know what you call it...the words escape me for now...anyway it was this giant wooden structure where you could make your own little smashed-penny Burning Man thing. The guy had it all rigged up with weights and a pully, and you'd put a slug on a metal form that had the man carved into it, and crank up the weight 20 feet or so...then you'd pull this wooden penis hanging from a chain and the weight would come kareening down and smash the metal slug into the forms to make a lovely nifty pendant-ey type of thing.

God, I feel so inarticulate right now...I must be tired...

Anyway, it was located around 5:30 and Earth, a "block" or so around there.

As for the massage...I am SO there...I wish I could've found you last year. Rather, I think I knew you were there, but I wish I'd have gone to see you...I'm not so keen on having strangers massage me...too much vulnerability I think, I dunno...so instead I just walk around like the New Yorker that I actually am and just keep a stiff upper lip...

Do you know the We'Moon? Do you use it? Do you want one? If you don't know it, go to wemoon.ws (can you post URLs here?) and check it out. I do the graphic design for them...anyway, I strongly suspect that it might be right up your alley, Fireweed!
griffingirl

Return to 2005 Tickets