Joan Grant Photo Initiative (Call for contributions)

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Joan Grant Photo Initiative (Call for contributions)

Postby Granny » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:26 pm

I just came back from a week in the BRD region, during which I interviewed local residents from Pyramid Lake (Nixon and Sutcliffe) to Gerlach and Lovelock--about their perceptions of BM over the years--for a grant I received from the Charles Redd Center at Brigham Young University. On the last couple of days there, I met and spoke with Joan Grant. For those of you who do not know this remarkable woman, she was instrumental in getting Burning Man through some of its most difficult times ('96-'97). She lent her property to BM folks to build, stage, and store all manner of things related to the event for many years. She is the person responsible for BM's recent purchases of the Black Rock Saloon, Museum, and Headquarters in Gerlach (she owned much of the West-side of Gerlach, much to Bruno's chagrin). Presently La Contessa, the Shark Car, and another unnamed art car are stored on her property. The Water Goddess and the Bone Tree were also stored there for several years. As we spoke, she lamented that she had little or no photography from those years in which she offered so much to this community of ours. This is thus a plea for any and all willing participants to contribute photos to the Joan Grant Photo Album as a gift from us to her for all of her support over the years, support without which could have easily resulted in the demise of BM itself. If you have photos from her property especially, I think she would be absolutely thrilled. Ideally, you would send actual photographs to me, with names and dates, that I could assemble and offer to her as a gift from all of us. You could also send me digital images that I will print at my expense for addition in the photo album.

Thanks for any help in this project,

Jeremy Hockett (Granny)

2725 W. Ellsworth Rd.
Ann Arbor, MI 48108

hockettj@msu.edu
Granny

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:38 pm

This actually sounds like a good project and something really nice for someone who's done something for the community. Sorry, I can't contribute as I have no photos and didn't go until 02.

However, it's considered bad form to have multiple threads on the same topic started by the same person on this board. Contact admin and have them fused or two of them frozen.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby emily sparkle » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:26 am

I have closed the other two duplicate threads and redirected them to this one.
:) emily sparkle
eplaya administrator
___

mobilize, energize, motivate, INSPIRE ordinary people to do things to improve their quality of life.
- nobel peace prize winner, wangari maathai
emily sparkle

Return to 2005 Art & Performance