Goth Burners

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Goth Burners

Postby Sand_man » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:43 pm

When I went to the Burn the first time in 2003, I was in awe of the Death Guilds costumage. Does anyone have any tips on how to put together some of this Mad Max style gear? Thanks.
Sand_man

Postby falk » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:37 pm

I went to school with a guy whose mother did the costumes for Mad Max.

She just bought it all off the shelf at the local leather stores.
falk

Postby robotland » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:46 am

Leather scraps plus athletic equipment, mix in a pinch of scrap metal and some chicken feathers. (You can get really cool dyed feathers and fur in the flyfishing section of big sporting goods stores....I used a green-dyed deertail as the base for a bitchin' sporran!)
Check pawn shops for cheaper leather goods like chaps and jackets- There's usually a beater in there for cheap(er). Also flea markets and thrift stores.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby blyslv » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:38 pm

It's probably a good idea to save the skin tight black rubber for evening wear, however.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby b00m3rang » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:35 pm

robotland wrote:Leather scraps plus athletic equipment, mix in a pinch of scrap metal and some chicken feathers.

From what I've read and heard in several places, they seem to be pretty insistant about discouraging people from using feathers in costumes, as they can easily become MOOP.
b00m3rang

Postby robotland » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:38 am

b00m3rang wrote:
robotland wrote:Leather scraps plus athletic equipment, mix in a pinch of scrap metal and some chicken feathers.

From what I've read and heard in several places, they seem to be pretty insistant about discouraging people from using feathers in costumes, as they can easily become MOOP.

Well observed.....Any feathers would have to be individually anchored to prevent moopage, of course! Ditto with sequins, glitter, or those @#!! tiny mylar shapes that they sell to put in envelopes or on tabletops....I'd like to kneecap the deviant who dreamed those things up!

A Mad Maxian feathered crest could be crafted with a soft foam base and feathers inserted quill-first individually, then GOOPed into place. Run a brush or garden claw through to remove flyaways, and repeat with lint roller. Wear with the windows down on the highway at 60 MPH. After passing these tests, Playa On!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:21 am

You can buy liquid latex and put that on clothes you already have.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to 2005 Art & Performance