I've tried to convince my band to come and play this year, but to no avail. So I am seeking a bass player, guitarist and a drummer who want to play a 2 hour set a day, starting probably Wednesday at Black Rock City Performance Center aka The Spirit Room.
I am asking for the following prerequisites:
1. You can read a chart and are mostly a solid rhythm section player
2. You are fun to work and play with and you check your ego at the door
3. You love music and want it to be a central experience for your burn
4. You have and are bringing your rig (We have an enclosed tent that will cut down on the dust for your amps)
5. You like soul-funk-R&B-songwriter type music you feel you can learn with a chart and a CD.
6. You take the music seriously, meaning you do not show up wasted and unable to play. Please, no speedsters/tweakers. (no demon energy. please)
A musician/singer/keyboardist/songwriter currently living in San Francisco and I run a band, Madi & the Service. I have charts for most of my music which I call Original Soul. (had to make my own genre, the others didn't fit) Covers I like to do include some Aretha franklin, John Scofield, Marvyn Gaye, Sheryl Crow, Portishead. I plan to house this act in our camp, The Spirit Room. Our location is yet to be determined. (We are praying for center camp)
Ideally, the players I am looking for have some jazz/blues skills and can rock out too. I plan to do a heavy set a day, but would reserve the early part of the week for set up and rehearsal. you ought to be there by Tuesday at the latest. I am also wanting to do a Sunday Gospel service sometime in the morning. So I need players who won't leave til sunday after the service.
There is a good amount of music to learn in a fairly short time, but if you feel you can hang, please contact me right away.
I have played this music with lots of types of musicians and have found a common comment which, humbly said, is that they dig the songwriting.
The spirit room will be a beautiful space to create live music. It's gonna have a lotta soul. If you want to contribute your talents and time, please don't hesitate to contact me. I know it's gonna be a bad-ass time!!
Blessed Cecilia, appear in visions to all musicians, (including me), appear and inspire