Art Car Tips, Tricks, FAQ and Q&A

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Do you end up frequently driving your art car all night at BRC?

Yes
50%
No
33%
Some Years
17%

Total votes : 6

Art Car Tips, Tricks, FAQ and Q&A

Postby Mayfield » Mon May 16, 2005 11:09 am

New to building and working on art cars?
This thread will hopefully be your one stop shop for
getting your art car questions answered as well as
a good place to read about what folks have been
successful with and what people are interested in
doing or are currently working on.

I myself am new to building and maintaining an
art car and already have a few questions:

1) What kind of adhesive works best for attaching
small things to a car? For instance, I have ALOT of
casings from going to Church - I mean the BRHC
Shooting Range, and I'm thinking about affixing
them to my vehicle. I may have access to a welding
shop, so I'm wondering about how that could be put
in play as well as what kind of adhesives have folks
found to work well?

2) EL Wire. Wheres the best place to purchase and
how do you affix it to the vehicle. Do you run it off
of it's own battery or to the cars' battery?

Thanks.
Mayfield Jukes

Breeding for Revenge.
Mayfield

Have to put in a plug...

Postby brc-fun » Mon May 16, 2005 2:56 pm

Have to put in a plug for the "Have Freak, Will Travel" Mutant Vehicle parade (Friday night DURING sunset).

More info will be posted at the following link once the date gets closer.

http://geocities.com/brc_fun/

Now for questions/answers:

1) Adhesives
Do you want your shells to be permanently fixed to your vehicle? If so, super glue is great; your weakest link will be the paint. One hint for anything permanent or temporary, make sure the surface is clean. I use cheap rubbing alcohol. For permanent, it's best to apply pre-playa. That dust you love to hate is hard to clean even at home.

2) EL Wire
Not sure where the best place to buy is; I'd just do a net search.
Here's a few:
http://www.coolneon.com/
http://www.nathanielwandering.net/Burni ... 0Links.htm
http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Wire.htm
http://www.xenoline.com/

EL-Wire is high voltage low current, so your 12 volt car battery will not work directly. You might be able to buy an "inverter" that deals with 12v DC.

If you want blinking or "moving" effects, you will want to get a sequencer. The sequencer and inverter are usually bundled together, so decide and make one purchase.

The EL wire connections are delicate, so make sure to fix them so they don't get yanked.

See you on the playa,

Grady
Happiness is air presure on the playa,

Grady
brc-fun

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Emerge-n-See In-Tents IV Care Unit

Postby Mayfield » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:33 pm

Hey thanks. Damn it's hard to find the time to get in here. Sheesh. I used to be a regular.

So, no I don't need a sequncer, but thanks for telling me about that.

Super Glue. Duh. I see. Thanks for the info. This'll be the BRC-DPW Platform car originally created by DPW Hardcore Little Matt. It's a CRX, helluh modified. I need to be able to take crews to projects during the event and since a golfcart is LAME and too small, I use a truck which kinda sucks to drive around in the city. So we're getting this car together for aesthics sake. It'll also be good to give hardworking crew members rides around the city at night. After 3 weeks building BRC's infrastructure, it's easy not to make it out to check out all of the art.

Anyways. Our budget is non-existent. It's all out of pocket and any help or donations would be greatly appreciated but are not neccessary. We'll get'er done no matter what.
Mayfield Jukes

Breeding for Revenge.
Mayfield

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:44 pm

Hi Mayfield, buddy. Glad you are jumping on the art-car-bandwagon. I buy most all of my el wire from Mike at www.CoolightWest.com He offers a burner discount and is great to work with and gives good advise.

As for adhesives, run don't walk to this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=8432&highlight=goop

Cheers to you and the crew.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby Mayfield » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:16 pm

Hey Jellyfish!
Hell you're DPW now. Can't avoid it, too late. You put some blood into the new Auto Shop so it's a done deal. Hopefully it'll get you laid... More?

all coming up again before the event this year? We've got 4 work weekends left. The Sign Shop is kicking into high gear from here on out.

Thanks for the GOO tip and the EL connection.

I miss Mini Man...
Mayfield Jukes

Breeding for Revenge.
Mayfield

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:36 pm

Roger that, Mayfield. Tough to plan ahead because my job has gotten very busy and as usual I have over committed on my art projects. I love this part of the year when you realize you have to stop dreaming and turn a wrench. Good thing MiniMan is just about done. To everybody else: if you have not started building your mutant vehicle yet simply quit your job, max your equity loan, and out upon it, lads!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Spend it ALL

Postby Mayfield » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:58 pm

LOL. Yeah, we're cooking now! It wouldn't be the same without a hundred things going on. Keeps it interesting. I gleefully used all of my savings on 3 years of Gift Bar. Now THAT was a good time and a worthy endeavor. I could see how easily one could get caught up in art car construction, improvement and maintenance.
Mayfield Jukes

Breeding for Revenge.
Mayfield

Return to 2005 Art & Performance