Seeking Costume Design Ideas for my Walking Meditation...

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Seeking Costume Design Ideas for my Walking Meditation...

Postby Marianne » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:45 pm

This year at Burning Man, I plan to do a daytime slow motion walking meditation along the following route: 6 to the Man. Man to 9. Esplanade to 3. 3 to the Man. Man to 6. (I may repeat this on another day as well, starting and ending at 12. Undecided.)

I've modelled the walk after a scene from the movie "Baraka," where a monk with a bell, singing bowl, and conical hat obstructing much of his vision (except for down) takes slow steps through a crowded urban street, ringing his bell at specific intervals. He seems completely internalized within the madhouse of every day life around him, and transcendental. This scene has resonated for quite some time, and I want to experience it. Not being a monk, nor wishing to pretend to be, I've been playing with how I might fashion my walk.

In my right hand, I'll have my tibetan altar bell, and I've been practicing to make sure I can get three strikes on every ring. The bowl I carry in my left hand, I am intentionally trusting to manifest at BRC. It will be filled with lava rock doused in rubbing alcohol, which should burn for each leg of the walk without needing refilling. (Alternate version, the bowl is filled with water, which I will try to not disturb with my walking. Again, this is a work in progress.) No vision obstructing hat. Goggles will do quite nicely, thank you. I will not speak. Any communication will be minimal, and will be comprised solely of eye contact and facial expression.

I plan to take a step... attempting to not disturb the surface of the liquid in the bowl. Ring the bell (D-D-Ding!)... wlistening to the tones diminish while concentrating on the sounds of the Playa and of the activity in BRC growing. When the tone has completely faded, and I am attuned to the sounds in the environment linked to the visual I am experiencing, I will take another step, ring the bell, etc...

Through this I hope to experience a full spectrum of nuances of the sounds and visions of the playa, all the while maintaining will and awareness of being removed from it. I hope to mentally go some unexpected and neccessary places. I expect the whole meditation to take me anywhere from 4-6 hours.

So, considering that this is an exercise in awareness of internalizing light and sound, can anyone recommend some good costume ideas? I'm playing with a few, but I'm trolling for other ideas. Thanks!...
Marianne

Postby robotland » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:26 am

Robes spring to mind.... but to be different, I suggest a chicken suit.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Re: Seeking Costume Design Ideas for my Walking Meditation..

Postby blyslv » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:30 pm

Marianne wrote: I am intentionally trusting to manifest at BRC.

Interesting. But why would you expect something that you are counting on for your project to just magically appear? That strikes me as an unwarrented expectation. It also seems a little, I dunno, slacker. Please don't take offense, i am only one pissant in a sea of many.

As for costumes, several layers of light cotton robes and full head and neck coverage from the sun!
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:29 pm

I go for light robe with cd fractions sewn on. Shines and reuses useless material.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

interesting

Postby iLikeWeen » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:44 pm

I've modelled the walk after a scene from the movie "Baraka," where a monk with a bell, singing bowl, and conical hat obstructing much of his vision (except for down) takes slow steps through a crowded urban street, ringing his bell at specific intervals.

Thats a very powerful scene and a great flic as well. you should get the neat shoes he is wearing, I believe they are skin tight and there is a crease between the big toe and the toe nextdoor to it. neat-O
iLikeWeen

Postby spectabillis » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:36 pm

robotland wrote: I suggest a chicken suit.

I was thinking Godzilla suit, slowly squishing small souls.
spectabillis

Postby Shinxy » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:16 pm

You're going at this too much from a performance art angle. I'd suggest reading up on zen meditation, and walking meditation, and creating a ritual which is more personally fulfilling. Don't worry about what it looks like to others- if you actually understand and believe in this ritual (and better yet, practice it in daily life for some time before arriving at the playa!) then you won't have to make it look authentic; It will be authentic without effort.
aka Twin, Luminary BRC Lamplighters
'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '10
Shinxy

Postby Janka » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:27 am

I was about to say about the same as Shinxy - picture yourself doing the ritual and then wear whatever you need to make the experience feel what you want it to be for yourself, and adapt that for the playa. If it was me, I'd want to fully cover my skin to be out in the sun for 4-6 hours, you will absolutely want your head and neck to be covered, so a hat or hood is essential, and you will want to carry drinking water without it being disruptive to what you do. Etc. I'm sure you know the drill as well as I do. :)
Janka

Postby AntiM » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:09 am

you should get the neat shoes he is wearing, I believe they are skin tight and there is a crease between the big toe and the toe nextdoor to it. neat-O

They're called "tabi" or zori socks. You can get ones with a rubberized bottom so they can be worn alone instead of with sandals.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby blyslv » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:59 pm

Shinxy wrote:You're going at this too much from a performance art angle.

Don't worry about what it looks like to others-
blyslv

Postby Marianne » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:26 pm

blsyv - <i>But why would you expect something that you are counting on for your project to just magically appear? That strikes me as an unwarrented expectation. </i>

An odd thing in a radically self reliant environment, to be sure! I really want to leave one element chaotic, and test my ability to trust in the best outcome in a world of uncertainty. If it doesn't 'turn up,' that may be just thing I need to think on! Thanks!

Cryptofishist - <i>"light robe with cd fractions sewn on"</i>

THAT is COOL! Hmmmmm....

Shinxy - <i>"Don't worry about what it looks like to others"</i>

Good words, good thoughts. The thing is, in the every day, I really DON'T care, so attending to costuming is a stretch and an exercise for me. Not worrying about what it looks like to others will be more challenging in any other city I do this in, ya know?

AND I will check into those Zori socks!

Thanks everyone!
Marianne

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:33 am

Marianne
Thanks for the praise. At my place of employ everyyear we have a re-use fasion show. Someone was wearing a bikini with shiney bit from cds--aqua and purple ones as well as teh standard silver. What can I say, I always know when to cage from someone.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby synchronicity » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:32 pm

So I suppose my idea of a girls school uniform, complete with saddle oxfords is completely out of the question?
"I never know when I'm on the road to oblivion, I only know when I arrive."
synchronicity

Postby Isotopia » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:42 pm

So I suppose my idea of a girls school uniform, complete with saddle oxfords is completely out of the question?

Not if you're a guy.
Isotopia

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:51 am

someone needs to gift girls schools uniforms complete with oxfords. It's a great camp idea> "Oxford High School for Girls will gift 1000 Uniforms and Host a Field Hockey game every evening at 6:00"
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby heat » Thu May 26, 2005 4:32 pm

Big brimmed hat with long, lightweight, protective panels flowing from it. CDs optional. Long thin ribbons of recycled plastic (shopping bags?) in strips make a nice swishing sound in the wind, maybe to enhance your experience.
A few years ago someone was doing what looked like Shaolin KungFu (sp) in brilliant scarlet robes, striking against the playa. Gave me a meditative pause myself.
Life is short but wide
heat

Postby blyslv » Fri May 27, 2005 8:53 am

Marriane,

Thanks for treating my questions with respect, even though it may have sounded a little snarky.

I notice you're in Alb. I'm in Santa Fe.

Wheeee!
blyslv

Postby Marianne » Fri May 27, 2005 8:58 am

blyslv wrote:Marriane,

Thanks for treating my questions with respect, even though it may have sounded a little snarky.

I notice you're in Alb. I'm in Santa Fe.

Wheeee!

I work in Santa Fe. Looking out onto Paseo de Peralta right now, in fact :)

Everyone's entitled to a little snarky. No worries.
Marianne

Postby Marianne » Fri May 27, 2005 9:00 am

heat wrote:Big brimmed hat with long, lightweight, protective panels flowing from it. CDs optional. Long thin ribbons of recycled plastic (shopping bags?) in strips make a nice swishing sound in the wind, maybe to enhance your experience.
A few years ago someone was doing what looked like Shaolin KungFu (sp) in brilliant scarlet robes, striking against the playa. Gave me a meditative pause myself.

Now, that's cool, too!
So many options :)

I may write everyone's name on whatever I end up wearing hehehe
Marianne

Postby blyslv » Fri May 27, 2005 12:38 pm

I have a woven straw conical hat that might look pretty good with the ensemble. You are welcome to it.[/i]
blyslv

Return to 2005 Art & Performance