in need of art car ideas

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

in need of art car ideas

Postby PantyMechanix » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:27 pm

I am out of the country until 2 weeks before the event and need help with my art car. I have a 91 volkswagon cabriolet that i will need to drive on a daily basis so i cant fuck with the structure too much. I want an idea in exchange for possible rides, errand running around brc. I was thinking of attaching some kind of structure to form art out of maybe fraom the bumbers so i dont have to mess with the body. I also want to be able to put the top up and down although that is not extremly important. maybe even something so we can stand ontop, if possible, if not maybe something out of pvc. It had to be easy to construct on and off the playa and quickly since I am on such a short timeframe, experiencing the culture of south america today. all wacky ideas are welcome as long as they arent too cheezy.

tanks
Panty
PantyMechanix

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:52 pm

go to main site and check up on what the needs for mutant vehicles are. AS I recall actual structural change was strongly advised last year--make sure that you can do enough to get accepted lest your time and effort be wasted.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

it will be good

Postby PantyMechanix » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:13 pm

i dont need to change the structure to make it lok good. believe me i hate the cheezy art cars as well, they shouldnt be on the playa. thats why i am asking for help
PantyMechanix

Postby kilngod » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:42 pm

Iz there a way to attach stuff without wreking yer kar? I was thinking of covering my VW in reflective mylar scales, but don't want to ruin it for use in the non-burning universe. Is there some kind of glue that would work, but is removable after ze fact that won't destroy the paint? (of ccurse, I could just quit wimping out and sacrifice the facade to the gods of the playa.)
kilngod

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:50 am

The first question to ask is, "what would a car covered in mylar scales provide for BM?". If you are going for visual esthetics, then go big. Have the scales be UV reactive, or lined with EL wire, or something. Cars with simple mylar scales probably won't be seen as "spectacular" at BRC. Another plus is if your costume goes with the car (a fish car with scales that glowed and had worms inside driving it, now THAT would be cool!)

Ideally, the car underneath should not be recognizeable at all, so the shape needs to be broken up as well.
dragonfly Jafe

Postby ThePikey » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:59 pm

More to the point, you need to register your art car WELL before the event. In fact, it may already be too late. Two weeks before hand CERTAINLY will.

*is too lazy to look up details, it's on the main BM site somewhere or other*
ThePikey

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:28 pm

I'm not sure that they info has been posted. Certainly there's been no ripple here, and there were last year. I still don't feel like the op has looked up last years qualifications and while I have no advise to give, I (as always) would just look upon him in a friendlier fasion if he'd done his homework. Especially as last years, as I remember, specifically mentioned structural alterations. It may not have worked out that way, but my impression from what Koosh and other DMVers said was that they were trying to work the bugs out of the new system and so on.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby ThePikey » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:45 pm

Ah. I'd meant "I'm too lazy to look it up, check the site, they have the relevant info there."

*does not have an art car, is not interested in rigging one up, and is therefore not terribly familar with the inner workings of the dmv. or overly care much. just tossing out a 'heads up' so PM doesn't get burned.*
ThePikey

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:28 pm

Sure, Mutated Vehicles must be registered or they will be impounded at the gate for the duration of the event (this started in '04). Apparently no exceptions. Check the DMV site, but IIRC the deadline for registration is in June sometime...(best not to wait until last minute as the server tends to get slammed).

But the original post was about ideas for a mutated vehicle that could be thrown together at the last minute without permanently altering a vehicle (not how to register said vehicle).

It may be unlikely that a H.A.S.L.E. vehicle will get approved by the DMV, but assuming it does (which further assumes that Pantymechanix will do the right things at the right time), what ideas are there to make their mutated vehicle as cool as possible?
dragonfly Jafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:38 am

dragonfly Jafe wrote:But the original post was about ideas for a mutated vehicle that could be thrown together at the last minute without permanently altering a vehicle (not how to register said vehicle).
I didn't read it that way, perhaps because my thought was that that everything had better be ready to go so when they get back so that they don't waste time. In other words, whatever superstructure they have will be done and just has to be put on and go!
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:00 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
dragonfly Jafe wrote:But the original post was about ideas for a mutated vehicle that could be thrown together at the last minute without permanently altering a vehicle (not how to register said vehicle).
I didn't read it that way, perhaps because my thought was that that everything had better be ready to go so when they get back so that they don't waste time. In other words, whatever superstructure they have will be done and just has to be put on and go!

My "thrown together at the last minute" = your "pre-fab then put-on-and-go" (poor choice of words on my part)

I am in no way advocating that anyone show up before the event, through some stuff (no matter how cool looking) on a vehicle, then try to get it registered. This is a "H.A.S.L.E. vehicle" (half-assed-schlocky-low-effort) and not a plus to Black Rock City in 99.9% of the cases.

However, it IS possible to plan accordingly, and show up with a vehicle (that is street legal before/after) slap on some (pre-made) decorations, and have a "great" Mutated Vehicle. There can be a debate on what "permanantly altered" means, but based on recent history the DMV is still passing vehicles that do not have substantial (if any) permananent alterations. However, at the very least, these must be PRE-registered (by june sometime) to even be able to get into the city at all.

I have so far advised the original poster to consider costumes that match the vehicle, to increase the WOW! factor (a tactic that works for all mutated vehicles). Any other tid-bits?
dragonfly Jafe

Postby robotland » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:43 am

I'm not sure if it'd still pass the DMV specs, but I recall a sailing ship built on a completely intact and unaltered Hummer on-playa in '03....Looked damn good, and was all bolt-or-belt-on stuff. Perhaps a combo of carved foam shapes and a fabric cover would create a Transformers Art Car that converts to streetworthy ride with a few tears of velcro and undoing of buckles....I considered making some add-on parts for my car this year, to transform my Element into an Elephant. (Not to be driven as an Art Car, just for smiles while parked and during Exodus.)
It'd be amusing to cover one's vehicle with a geodome, and move just a little bit every night....in case peoples' landmark sense isn't messed up enough by the rotating Man and hinky themecamp boundaries!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

What does Permanent mean?

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:54 am

robotland wrote:I'm not sure if it'd still pass the DMV specs....It'd be amusing to cover one's vehicle with a geodome, and move just a little bit every night....in case peoples' landmark sense isn't messed up enough by the rotating Man and hinky themecamp boundaries!

I saw plenty of vehicles last year that were just street-legal cars with stuff added on top (some clever ones too!). True, the blatantly-lame ones were hard to find, but it is clear that last year DMV was not using the "permanently altered" rule consistantly. One option is to weld (permanent) attachment points that are hidden (under the car on the frame). Design bits that attach to these points. Afterwards, remove to get a stree-legal car back.

I like the idea of a Mutated Vehicle that is really just mobile art. I have wanted to make a "Raver Catch-and-Release" vehile for some time now...a vehicle that looks like a static art piece, with attractive "gifts" inside like light sticks, etc. As soon as people enter, and begin taking the "gifts", the door closes, some muzak (Barry Manilow?) begins playing, and the vehicle drives off to a random spot to release the catch. The main reason I haven't done this yet is the possible legal issues....
dragonfly Jafe

Re: What does Permanent mean?

Postby sputnik » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:08 am

dragonfly Jafe wrote:The main reason I haven't done this yet is the possible legal issues....

I'm not sure this is any different than Block Rock Animal Control. What are they going to do, sue you?

I should say I really don't know what BRAC does since I haven't seen them in action.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby robotland » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:34 am

Oh MAN does THAT need to be done!!! And why stop at baiting ravers? Surrounding the "installation" with KEEP OUT- THIS MEANS YOU signs and (penetrable) barricades would heighten the curiosity of passers-by.
I don't know if Black Rock Animal Control TAGS their prey, but that would be amusing as well.....
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby unjonharley » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:07 pm

Brannding more branding. oh the screams........
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Return to 2005 Art & Performance