more materials and art space questions

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

more materials and art space questions

Postby 5x5 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:12 pm

i keep coming up with various ideas for art installations.... some more questions!

1) colorful writing instruments. do markers dry out immediately due to low humidity? do crayons melt (ok i already know that one). pencils create moop from sharpening...... colored pens? gel pens? maybe it's not a huge issue, but i am curious. (ps. needs to withstand fairly constant use by passersby. i will replenish as needed, just want to know what to expect.)

2) art space in central cafe or elsewhere: is there anywhere i could prepare a wall mounted art project without bringing a wall? yes, i know. self reliance. but, i am flying, relying on the patience and experience of a friend, and don't want to take up too much room in her vehicle. (i'm not a light packer. and i will have many gifty things.) i may consider keeping it in camp, but would love a more global participation.....

thanks!
5x5

Postby robotland » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:25 pm

You could provide a pencil sharpener with a reservoir for the shavings....or use lumber crayons that are pre-peeled of their outer paper. Dry-erase markers last okay, but tape string to them and to their caps to prevent moopage.
For the wall-less wall art- Fit it with hanging loops if it lacks them, and bring bungee cords or high-test fishline. Suspend from sides of shade canopies, car tailgates, or between vehicles. Check with the Artery about hanging in Center Camp- It seems like there's ALWAYS room for more art in there.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Janka » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:04 pm

1) colorful writing instruments. do markers dry out immediately due to low humidity?

I had a marker thingy last year. No, they do not dry immediately, if you just dutifully close the cap (is that the correct word?) every time you put one down. They do get terribly clogged with the dust, though. I lasted for about three days before I gave up. It was impossible to keep the surfaces I wanted to draw on dust-free enough to have the pens working for longer than a couple of minutes at a time. I would suggest some other pen type, but if you settle for markers, be prepared to unclog them (water works ok) often, and bring extras.

EDITed to add: Maybe if you were in Center Camp or somewhere very closed to winds, the problem might be smaller. But I kind of doubt it.
Janka

Postby AntiM » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:48 pm

I've been pondering writing instruments too, for the adoption forms for the Home for Wayward Art. I was thinking uber-cheap ball point pens, because color is not an issue. I'd fill a container with rocks or marbles, something heavy and stick the pens in it. I'd do the tape the flowers to the ends of the pens trick for decoration, although I doubt too many pens would walk away on the playa (fewer pockets and purses).

Plus a sign requesting patrons do not adopt the infrastructure.

Will it work? Or will it fill with dust so rapidly the pens will quit this mortal coil after fleeting useage?
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Bronwen » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:09 pm

I dont know where our camp will be yet, but we'd be happy to provide you with a writing wall if you'd like one. Just let us know (email please) what sort of thing you have in mind and we'll see what we can do about working it into the structures of the camp. :D You'd be welcome to join us for the duration of the event, we have plenty of space.
Bronwen

Postby 5x5 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:26 am

thansk for the advice! bronwen, thank you for the kind invitation -- which camp are you with?

i'm still playing with ideas, so I have no idea where I'll end up with them. i'll have to let you know.
5x5

writing instruments

Postby marcimari » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:24 am

Last year my project required pencils and pens. I was afraid the pens would maybe get too warm and melt, but they seemed to work out fine. They were not in direct sun though.
My uncle took a 15" piece of 2 x 4 and turned it on its side and drilled pencil sized holes in in. It made a terrific pencil and pen holder. I bought a couple of dime store pencil sharpeners which have holders for the shavings, and would spend a few minutes a couple of times a day resharpening. It was a pretty high use project and I managed to keep working writing instruments in it most of the time. (......OK, I slept in a couple of mornings, and it was a long way to my project.)

Sweet playa dreams,
Mari
marcimari

Postby robotland » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:36 am

I made a large-volume pencil sharpener for my studio, by gluing the business end of one of those plastic cylinder ones over a hole in the lid of a small coffee can. I have to empty it about once every Ice Age or so. (Those little plastic jobs seem to come pre-broken!) I save the shavings for bonfire starters, sometimes mixing in aluminum or copper filings for color.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Return to 2005 Art & Performance