Stages Seeking Acts

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Stages Seeking Acts

Postby spanky » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:47 pm

Greetings!

This thread used to live on the old ePlaya and I gathered it was high time to fire it back up. This is a thread to help camps that have performance stages at Burning Man find artists to perform on them. This is sorta the flip side of the Artists Seeking Stages thread.

So, if you've got a camp with a stage or turntables, and you're seeking talented folks to perform, you've come to the right place! Post a reply in here and see what happens...

~Spanky
spanky

Postby pops » Mon May 09, 2005 9:10 pm

We're hosting a stage catering to swing/lounge/jazz music aficionados. We serve drinks, have nice lighting and a big play-structure. We play pre-recorded swing/lounge/jazz throughout the week and are looking at hosting live music for our snobby guests and campmates!! We'll provide the space, structure and power and would like you to provide the equipment, talent and charisma. We expect to be ready for live acts as of Tuesday during the event. We've been doing a medium-sized camp for 3 years now and have been attending much longer. The one thing we feel could really make a scene is you, the performer. Whad'ya think?

Need more info?
pops@swingerslounge.cjb.net
pops

Postby kevin shawn » Tue May 10, 2005 4:17 pm

Hello everyone. I was wondering what if anyone was looking for another DJ to come out and play some tracks. I spin Trance and am not looking to make any profit, just expand peoples minds a little on music.

If you know of anyone looking or you yourself are looking for any DJs please shoot me an email at djkevinshawn@hotmail.com

Demo CDs can be downloaded below: :D

http://www.eraver.net/eraver/music/pafi ... nloa&id=74

http://www.eraver.net/eraver/music/pafi ... load&id=34

http://www.eraver.net/eraver/music/pafi ... load&id=61

I have more if you would like to hear some more of my stuff. Lately I have been playing a little harder edged but I have the softer stuff and the harder stuff. :D

Thanks and good luck, hope to see you there!!!!

- Kevin
_______
kevin shawn

Postby Diarmuid » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:15 am

Hi all i am dj/producer and will be at the b-man this year 2005
I play chill, dub, trip hop, hip hop, elctro.
I have put post up in acts seeking stages saying would love to play a b man or not just play help out in anyway, in seting up or what ever.
my email is diarmuid.ds1@gmail.com and there is a few of us coming over from dublin ireland and amsterdam.

later D
Diarmuid

BRC Performance Center seeking live musical acts

Postby mamasaid » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:10 am

Well, after months of wondering if this was going to happen, the universe has granted it to be so.

So, it's on...

The Black Rock City Performance Center will happen this year of the Psyche.

My intent is to locate, and book Burners who have an outstanding live musical performance that they would like to share on the Playa. Now, before your little wheels start turning, let me tell you about the vision for the space.

I am looking to book acts that:

1. are exceptional. Meaning, you have your act together, you play well together as a group (if you are a band) your music speaks/sings, and you have that "something" going on.

2. have spirit/soul. Your act must have the power to engage and include the whole room, every person. Electricity, connectivity, transcendence.

3. are primarily LIVE music. Turntables must be PART of the band.

4. are responsible about showing up on time, not so stoned that you forgot how to play your music and definately NOT drunk.

5. want to contribute in a musically unique and powerful venue with other unique and powerful musicians.

Genre is less important to the essence of the space than the group's/musician's collective ambience/soul. So don't let genre hold you back from being considered.

I am hoping, at this point, to have a backline ready to go, meaning there will be a house drum set, keys, guitar and bass amps, microphones, etc. However, exceptions will be made for those bands who really need to use their own stuff, be ready to do some moving around.

I'm cool with solo acts as well, so long as you feel comfortable with the 5 things I listed above. (Instrumental or Vocal)

If you are interested in being considered for this very special performance space, please contact me with the following information:

1. Name of Act
2. Genre
3. Why you feel like this would be YOUR PLACE to play
4. An example of your work, either by website address, emailing an mp3, or physically sending me a CD or tape. (email me, I'll send you my address in private)

If I like what you have and feel it would contribute well to the space, I will ask that you make a committment to either doing it or not. I know the best laid plans can really fly right out the window on the playa, and usually for the best anyway. but if you want to do this, and I will bet it will really be a special time and worth it, you need to be committed to making it there on time!

Combatting the general burner-complaint that there ain't enough good live music on the playa,

Maldita
Blessed Cecilia, appear in visions to all musicians, (including me), appear and inspire
mamasaid

please don't be scared...

Postby mamasaid » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:22 am

Maybe you can give me some feedback.

Am I asking for too much? Am I scaring potentially beautiful acts due to my original post??

Listen, if you are a musician and read the original post and feel intimidated, please don't. I just don't want a 24-7 drunk-off-your-ass-let's-wank-off-on-stage open mike.

If you are a singer/songwriter, a solo instrumentalist, a band, a duo, whatever live music you have to offer and want to find a special and sacred place to perform, this is the place for you. The spirit of the playa, and the energy of this particular stage will carry you, the spirit will be there. This I know. Please don't let my vision scare you!! It will be a supportive, sacred and joyful musical space...

In service and spirit,
Maldita
Blessed Cecilia, appear in visions to all musicians, (including me), appear and inspire
mamasaid

Postby daveb » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:25 pm

I am very interested in BRC Perform. Center and im pretty sure my buddy dave will be too. we'll be in black rock early, from sf and we can prob. play no problem

ill talk with him later and we will send you an mp3 of some of our old stuff probably. great idea

sounds like fun.

D. B.
daveb

Postby nicole katler » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:16 pm

Searching for Maldita!

Hello,

My name is Nicole and I would love to be able to have my band perform on your stage. I sent you an email yesterday containing all the information you requested, but hadn't heard back. I'm sure you're busy.....so I'll just include some stuff in this email too :)
1. Name of Act: Entamoeba
2. Genre of Music: ambiant/moody
3. MP3 Web Link: http://www.myspace.com/entamoeba

We would love to play!

Nicole
nicole katler

the invisible circus renegade fabulon side show stage

Postby dougfrancisco » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:45 am

the Invisible Circus will be appearing at black rock city and available to provide stage space to artists wishing to appear in the renegade fabulon side show cabaret direct from london, glastonbury, the big green gathering and Shambala festival in the Uk. The fabulon brings artists together from all over the world to play along side eachother under the banner of universal love and co-operation, to clebrate and create the circus of life. We invite all artists to participate in this the 9th Renegade Fabulon, these events when charging door admission give all proceeds to direct aid charities most recently www.hiphiphi.com for tsunami relief in Thailand. come with us to the circus of dreams. Doug Francisco
we believe theres a little bit of the clown in everybody and a little bit of everybody in the clown
dougfrancisco

Seeking Artists - Garden of the Mystic Sunrise

Postby jefsf » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:40 pm

Garden of the Mystic Sunrise

House of Lotus is fostering the Garden of the Mystic Sunrise to provide a space for honoring and exploring that which lies beneath and beyond the individual psyche. For example:

The Mystic appeals to a dimension which is transcendent,
knowing any attempt to act from a territory of the psyche
is just as unproductive as an attempt to get out of a swamp
by pulling one’s own hair. ~ A Student on the Sufi Path

Who are you?
beyond the body-mind and personality,
beyond all experience and the experiencer,
beyond the world and its perceiver,
beyond existence and its absence,
beyond all assertions and denials?
~Adyashanti

Some have suggested:
Universal Psyche
Emptiness
One-Life
Being
Spirit
Now
Love
Self
?

House of Lotus seeks artists and dreamers with any vision for art that touches on these or other themes. We are open to any and all concepts for work to be placed or performed in the Garden to stimulate, soothe and enlighten all who venture through.

We will provide small grants to support individual works and will help provide common infrastructure such as power for lighting, etc.

The Garden will be located on the open playa, sunrise side, near the intersection of Esplanade & 2:00 (pending location confirmation).

If you are interested in collaborating, please contact Jeff (415-637-5333, cole.jw@gmail.com) or Tammy (tammye@gmail.com) with your proposal by July 22. We look forward to working with you.
JefCol
jefsf

in the garden

Postby dougfrancisco » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:31 am

we would love to participate in performances in the garden as well as creating a performance spoace in our own camp. we will be bringing a variety of shows which will be adaptable to chosen themes.maintain radio contact and let us meet in black rock city. keep it surreal xx d
we believe theres a little bit of the clown in everybody and a little bit of everybody in the clown
dougfrancisco

Performers & Piano Players

Postby GlowScreen » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:37 am

CALLING ALL PERFORMERS & PIANO PLAYERS

Whisky & Whores is searching for acts for the stage in our whisky bar. We are now booking any type of performance, but we want to give a shout out to the piano players, cuz we have a piano!

The stage is 16 ft. deep by 12 feet wide and 2 feet high.
The piano is on it's own 8 foot x 8 foot stage.
We have 2 microphones, a 50w 4 channel pa head with speakers, possibly one stage wedge, and either a cd player or a place to plug in a cd player.

Whisky & Whores camp is located in Asylum Village.
Afternoon and early evening times available Tuesday through Saturday.

To book a performance contact amy@amyshapiro.com

We got whisky, we got whores, what else do you fuckin' need!

To find out more about Whisky & Whores

http://asylumvillage.com/whiskeyandwhores/
GlowScreen

whatchoo got??

Postby mamasaid » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:24 am

bump me up, baby!!

The Spirit room is still seeking players!! WE have a nice round-up of acts so far, and am still seeking a few more.

I would love to see:

A solo or solo group of classical instrumentalists
Another jam/rock band or two
A percussion group of any nationalitly (samba, african, whatever)
singers??
What have you got??

The spirit room is a sacred space for live music. If you got something musical to offer and want to give it up in a great space, email me or respond to this post!!

In service,
Madi
mamasaid

Postby nicole katler » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:04 am

Hi Madi,

I just sent you a personal email reply; but I hope this gets to you too.

My band, Entamoeba, is an ambiant & ethereal band with trumpet, female vocals, guitar, drum machine, upright bass & keys.

We would love to play on your stage and I feel like our ethereal music would fit the theme really well!

Please visit: http://www.myspace.com/entamoeba for current mp3's

Thanks so much,
Nicole
nicole katler

Postby alienfry » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:34 am

Kathanika (outter bottom corner in the 3 oclock plaza) has a piano that is open for use during the afternoon hours. it's out of tune but it plays!
awesome oppossum
alienfry

Postby chives08727 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:22 pm

We have a very large sound system and need more DJ's
chives08727

Nautilus X needs fuel for the warped core

Postby Captain Nemo » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:21 am

Ahoy eplaya Burners!
The Nautilus X will be making our 4th voyage out to the Playa this year. The Nautilus X is an operational 60' MAN and was the last bus retired from SF MUNIs articulated bus fleet. It ran the 38 Geary line for many years. Our theme this year will be "Transducer X", we will transport and transform all those that come on board to new states of consciousness. We are looking for any Bands, Djs, and Musicians that are confirmed to go to Burning Man this year and would be interested in performing on board. We will take nightly tours of the art with a constant inflow of new guests to delight with your vibes. All performance will be from the "Warped Core" which is the according section in the center of the vehicle. The warped core is a very interesting area, as both ends move that area remains an inertial calm area so its perfect to perform from. We can accommodate bands up to 4-5 members as we have had several bands perform on board in the past. We have a fully functional sound system with internal and external speakers and a DJ table set up so all thats needed is for DJs to bring their vinyl. Anyone interested please email me back with a contact number at dsvnautilusx@aol.com. For more information please check out our webpage @ http://hometown.aol.com/dsvnautilusx/
Thank you and see you all out on the playa.
Next stop Black Rock City!
Mobilis In Mobili
Captain Nemo
"This Sonic Transducer - it is, I suppose, some kind of Audio-Vibratory, Physiomolecular Transport device?" -Dr. Everett Von Scott
Captain Nemo

black rock city performance center

Postby orangepeelmoses » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:56 pm

alias: orange peel moses
genre: singer/songwriter
why: the baritone larynx
samples: http://www.orangepeelmoses.com
orangepeelmoses

Postby beady-eyed beats » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:38 am

[quote="chives08727"]We have a very large sound system and need more DJ's[/quote]
Hello
if you have room for one more d.j....
I've been playing:

a mixture of Warped electronica, library music and assorted psychedelic electronexotica
Or
partied-up peak-time techno, acieeed and the like

in some London venues (including http://www.somamix.com/music-may.gif) and parties (as well as in my native Ireland (http://www.clubheadbangbang.org/main/past.htm) and in Sweden (http://www.artfourpleasure.com/kommande.php)):

Many thanks,

beady-eyed beats
beady-eyed beats

Looking for Hip-Hop DJ

Postby JDS » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:54 pm

We're a medium sized camp looking for a hip-hop DJ. We had one, but it turns out he can't make it. We have decent speakers (Mackie 450s) and a mixer, but you'd have to bring your own turntables/CD players.

This would be for late afternoon parties. Could be loungy or more up-tempo, it's up to you.

If you're interested, please send me a message.

thanks,
Josh
JDS

Stage and Aerial apparatus for anything from Jung to Circus

Postby Jadewire » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:54 am

Hello everyone!!! Well we are almost home and I just wanted to shout out to all performers, oratators, square dance callers or anyone with a hankerin' to tell or show the playa and your comarads in dust and heat how you feel and think. The High Minded Open Mic Stage is a place to play, explore, and entice. Read your favorite book out loud or hold a silent prayer. It is a place to pull attention and to give it back. Bask in the loving adoration of our peers
and to get what ever you've got to get off your chest, off your chest.
If you haven't been getting enough attention than step right up! If you're feelin'
that you want to be heard, step right up! Or do you just need to verbalize a fresh bit, of distilled
god-speak thats been bangin' around in the ole' noggin'... Step Right Up!!!
Let the stage be your pulpit and the Playa your theatre, from where you can tell all of BRC
how you came to be, where you want to go, and how your plannin' to get there!!!
There will be a a soap box a mic and all of BRC at your disposal.

As for the other smaller and more specialized Aerial Stage, This will be a place where acrobats can, in their
own form of god-speak, show and play. This stage will also be open to beginners and the curious for lessons
and workshops. All acrobats interested in using the Aerial Stage wether from our camp or not will need to sign
up and/or talk to me about rigging.
Thank you all and I'll see you out on the Playa!!!!!!!
Jade-
Jadewire

Open Mic Stage and Aerial Performance Uprights at 4:30+Espla

Postby Jadewire » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:50 pm

Hello everyone!!! Well we are almost home and I just wanted to shout out to all performers, oratators, square dance callers or anyone with a hankerin' to tell or show the playa and your comarads in dust and heat how you feel and think. The High Minded Open Mic Stage located at 4:30 and esplanade is a place to play, explore, and entice. Read your favorite book out loud or hold a silent prayer. It is a place to pull attention and to give it back. Bask in the loving adoration of our peers
and to get what ever you've got to get off your chest, off your chest.
If you haven't been getting enough attention than step right up! If you're feelin'
that you want to be heard, step right up! Or do you just need to verbalize a fresh bit, of distilled
god-speak thats been bangin' around in the ole' noggin'... Step Right Up!!!
Let the stage be your pulpit and the Playa your theatre, from where you can tell all of BRC
how you came to be, where you want to go, and how your plannin' to get there!!!
There will be a a soap box a mic and all of BRC at your disposal.

As for the other smaller and more specialized Aerial Stage, This will be a place where acrobats can, in their
own form of god-speak, show and play. This stage will also be open to beginners and the curious for lessons
and workshops. All acrobats interested in using the Aerial Stage wether from our camp or not will need to sign
up and/or talk to me about rigging.
Thank you all and I'll see you out on the Playa!!!!!!!
Jade-
Jadewire

Model Stand

Postby caretaker » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:42 pm

Hello all. I am a novice burner and my simple plan is to put up a small model stand for figure drawing under a shade tent. I'm inviting people to come by and stand or sit still on the platform for one minute, two minutes, five or ten minutes. Costumed, naked, or anywhere in between. I am also bringing some paper, boards, chairs and marking implements. It will be a cozy, quiet place to relax and practice figure drawing. I plan to give away some of the drawings, as well as offer water and maybe coffee, snacks. We'll see, I don't quite have it all figured out yet. ---BB :?:
caretaker

Live Open Laptop Audio/Visual Jam

Postby forbiddencolors » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:42 pm

XPOST:
Hey there, I am a freequent participant in a weekly event in New York called "share". http://www.share.dj

Basically its an open event where (mostly computer based but some acoustic with pickups) audio and video artists get together in a space and have a jam session for the evening. Its always really interesting (For the participants at least) because you get to hear how your ideas sound juxtaposed with elements you would never think to introduce. In New York the event has been going on for years and is pretty highly evolved at this point, there are anywhere from 2-15 artists simultaneously providing comunicating on an extremely artistic level in trying to create something beatiful and temporal for a space (not to mention and streaming out on the web). I was thinking about getting a portable sound system to do it myself out on the playa somewhere sometime... but if theres a stage (or large structure with a soundsystem) open for a few hours sometime, I think this would be a great way to use it.

I guess I'll have to see if there are a few artists out there interesting in taking part, and then if theres a camp willing to host us. Anyway artistas let me know if you want to do something like this, and camps let me know if you want to host it.

thanks
forbiddencolors

I apologize because this is a total cross post from artists seekeing stages, but I need several artists and a soundsystem in order to make this happen.
forbiddencolors

Re: BRC Performance Center seeking live musical acts

Postby justinancheta » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:54 am

Hey man,
We are a band from the bay area that has been together for 6 years going on 7. We are responsible "competent" musicians and going to burning man to perform this coming year. Check out the music and get back to me. 3 piece but have guests artist a lot (turntables, sax, congas, flute, keys, you name it).

Weve been touring the west coast off our first CD and EP and are looking to do music full time so we never burn bridges (responsible).

check:
www.sinclairband.com -------- go to music page to listen
www.myspace.com/soulgraffiti ------- new songs

#530.305.9819

[quote="mamasaid"]Well, after months of wondering if this was going to happen, the universe has granted it to be so.

So, it's on...

The Black Rock City Performance Center will happen this year of the Psyche.

My intent is to locate, and book Burners who have an outstanding live musical performance that they would like to share on the Playa. Now, before your little wheels start turning, let me tell you about the vision for the space.

I am looking to book acts that:

1. are exceptional. Meaning, you have your act together, you play well together as a group (if you are a band) your music speaks/sings, and you have that "something" going on.

2. have spirit/soul. Your act must have the power to engage and include the whole room, every person. Electricity, connectivity, transcendence.

3. are primarily LIVE music. Turntables must be PART of the band.

4. are responsible about showing up on time, not so stoned that you forgot how to play your music and definately NOT drunk.

5. want to contribute in a musically unique and powerful venue with other unique and powerful musicians.

Genre is less important to the essence of the space than the group's/musician's collective ambience/soul. So don't let genre hold you back from being considered.

I am hoping, at this point, to have a backline ready to go, meaning there will be a house drum set, keys, guitar and bass amps, microphones, etc. However, exceptions will be made for those bands who really need to use their own stuff, be ready to do some moving around.

I'm cool with solo acts as well, so long as you feel comfortable with the 5 things I listed above. (Instrumental or Vocal)

If you are interested in being considered for this very special performance space, please contact me with the following information:

1. Name of Act
2. Genre
3. Why you feel like this would be YOUR PLACE to play
4. An example of your work, either by website address, emailing an mp3, or physically sending me a CD or tape. (email me, I'll send you my address in private)

If I like what you have and feel it would contribute well to the space, I will ask that you make a committment to either doing it or not. I know the best laid plans can really fly right out the window on the playa, and usually for the best anyway. but if you want to do this, and I will bet it will really be a special time and worth it, you need to be committed to making it there on time!

Combatting the general burner-complaint that there ain't enough good live music on the playa,

Maldita[/quote]
justinancheta

djs

Postby reality » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:17 pm

I have a group of about 12 djs out of Reno, ranging in every kind electornica you could imagine. I will be doing an art car with sound and will be looking for some more talent, plus will be offering my services and crew to whoever has enough sound. Or maybe do a combined effort.
Contact me for demos

P.s djs you should join my tribe page!

http://tribes.tribe.net/burningdjs

http://www.myspace.com/reality_randy
reality

we wanna playeeeeeeeeeeee for yoooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuu

Postby Hey Negrita » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:06 am

Hi there

We're Hey Negrita from the UK. We've been described as a cross between Johnny Cash and The Rolling Stones and we are looking for a stage to play.

Artist Name: Hey Negrita
Genre: Brit C(o)unt
Check us out at: http://www.myspace.com/heynegrita

We spent most of last year touring the UK with Alabama 3 (who did the Sopranos theme song) and the US with Tony Joe White, as well as performing at SXSW, Cambridge Folk Festival, Lovebox Weekender, Standon Calling, Ullapool Loopallu Festival, Tenby Blues Festival and the Secret Garden Festival.

Boogaloooooooooooo

Felix
Hey Negrita

Stage in front of Center Camp looking for acts

Postby Nvision » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:34 am

Are you a juggler? Yoga teacher? Hand Drummer? Poet? Stunt bicyclist? Fire perfomer? DJ? Circus act? Acoustic musician? Then talk to me....

I am one of the scheduling coordinators for the Shiva Vista Project that we are building in front of Center Camp this year, 2007. It has a center module that is 4' off the ground and 24' x 24' in diameter. There are 4 ramps off each side of the module that are 8' wide and 16' long. We are installing 12 propane fx tanks in a 100'diameter around the stage that shoot 60'-80' flames. In addition, there are four 13' tall Fire Talons at the edges of the center that shoot an arc of flame over the heads of those performing. We are seeking interested performers for 30-60 min time frames day or night. We are specifically interested in scheduling fire performers/drummers at the night time slots but if you have a unique talent that is especially effective at night, tell me about it. We would love to have a group of drummers gather on the stage for a daily ritual sunrise and/or sunset beat. Dj's are needed as well. Our intention is to schedule some activity and leave the rest of the time for spontaneous interaction on the playa. There is alot of interest in our project and scheduled time slots are limited so if you're interested in participating with us don't hesitate to contact me. Donna@GoddessDonna.com.
For more info on the Shiva Vista Project: www.shivavista.com
Nvision

Postby john82 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:21 am

I was wondering what you guys think about a band which plays minimalistic psychedelic trance, with real live instruments: a drum set, a bass guitar, electric guitar and a digiridoo - all connected to effect boxes for the psychedelic twist... would this work at burning man?
Johnny guitars101 Jemsite
john82

Burlesque or Belly Dancer anyone?

Postby Sapphira » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:58 pm

Hi guys,

I am an Australian performer and teacher of both belly dancing and burlesque. I am based in London and am one of the few burlesque artists who also sings as I was a jazz singer many moons ago. If you want see my 'sing and fling' routine on your stage - feel free to get in touch.

I have some cool costumes and props including Isis Wings, Veil, finger cymbals, candles, fans and more!

See my dancing, hear my singing or just check out loads of pics on my website www.misssapphira.com

Yours in the shimmy,

Sapphira
Belly Dance to Burlesque -
Shimmy to the Tassle
Sapphira

Return to 2005 Art & Performance