Sound Tribe Sector 9 @ Burning Man

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Sound Tribe Sector 9 @ Burning Man

Postby mystery-g-spot » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:52 pm

This is something that really needs to happen. STS9 would be the best band to play at BRC this year... They're pioneers of a new genre that couldn't be more perfect for burning man. Besides contacting their tour manager, is there anything else that could be done to try and make this happen? Would burning man pay sound tribe to play there 1 or 2 nights? Anybody know about this? It would get more people to attend for sure. thanx
mystery-g-spot

Postby the_iconoclast » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:04 pm

37000+ isn't enough?

I am sure if they apply through the proper channels and ask for a grant for a sound installation, they will be considered. *snerk*

As far as BMORG ponying up cash to *HIRE* a band, I wouldn't count on it as it goes against everything BM stands for.

Just an opinion from a "virgin", so feel free to ignore, discount, and berate as vehemently as possible.
the_iconoclast

Postby Kinetic IV » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:11 pm

The Mutaytor didn't get LLC funding as far as I know...so operating from that mindset what are the chances of any other bands obtaining $$$$? IMHO it's not going to happen...but then again on the playa and when dealing with the LLC anything can happen. I'd still take the odds of winning Powerball / Mega Millions over the chances they'll see funding though.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby Janka » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:40 am

Besides contacting their tour manager, is there anything else that could be done to try and make this happen? Would burning man pay sound tribe to play there 1 or 2 nights? Anybody know about this? It would get more people to attend for sure.

Reading this, first, I must ask, mystery-g, have you been to BM yourself? If not, have you read the material on the event's site carefully? It seems to me you have a wrong idea of both the physical and especially the mental environment of the event. BM is not a concert, and getting more people to attend is not a priority. Especially getting people who would come there to watch one band is really, really not a priority.

Then, a couple of quotes. From the BM website concerting art:

When may I apply for a grant?
The deadline for 2005 grants is Febuary 15, 2005.

Should I be awarded a grant, how much will I receive?
This varies with particular projects. However, grants normally pay for only a portion of production costs. We pay for material costs, but not for time/labor. Artists should be ready to seek out and show proof of other methods and sources of funding. As a matter of policy, we also prefer that you develop various kinds of non-monetary resources. We believe that such an effort on your part encourages collaboration and cooperation within our extended community.

From the FAQ:

Q. I'd like to play on the main stage, how can I get there?
A. There is no Main Stage at Burning Man.
* We encourage you to create your own stage or network with a like-minded theme camp who might like to feature your group. Post to our Eplaya Bulletin Board.
* Theme Camps and Villages who are planning a stage should work with other artists (musicians & performers) to fully utilize their space.
* We will have acoustic music and performances at the Center Camp Café. We are looking for performers and artists of all sorts to contribute their talents.

Even though the art guidelines speak mainly of installation art, other things are not excluded. Based on these I consider it very, very unlikely that you will get funding for a band to play at this point, no matter how good or original a band.

I also consider it unlikely that you will get actual pay for people to play at any point - Burning Man is not a concert. But I hear weirder things have happened, and if it related to the theme of the year and/or was in some other way special, and the band would be happy with just travel expenses and a nominal pay, maybe yeah.
Janka

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:00 am

Look, there's a band http://www.brave.com/bo that I would love to bring onplaya. If I won the lottery, I'd book them, set up a camp for them, feed them and ask them to play 3(or whatever) times . I honestlly believe that they would get a lot out of what's there. I think that they would enjoy the art and enjoy hooking up with other musicians. Like I said, lottery. Because I'd pay for everything--tickets, and thier performances. If they wanted to jam on their own time there great. If not, great. And the Black Rock Arts foundation wouldn't spend a dime.

So while I have some sympathy, if they do start getting bands out there--mine first.

Edited one time to note that this was my 4800th post. Yikes!!!
Last edited by theCryptofishist on Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:01 am

Or Tom Waits. He transcends a lot.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Badger » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:06 am

This is something that really needs to happen. STS9 would be the best band to play at BRC this year... They're pioneers of a new genre that couldn't be more perfect for burning man. Besides contacting their tour manager, is there anything else that could be done to try and make this happen? Would burning man pay sound tribe to play there 1 or 2 nights? Anybody know about this? It would get more people to attend for sure.

I'm certainly NOT the voice of authority to I say it won't happen. But applying for funding in order to drag a group up to the playa so that they'll have their expenses paid for by the event (which I'm assuming the funding will be used for) well, it ain't gonna happen.

BTW, some of us are quite suspect ANYTIME we hear someone pop in and say they have an idea/suggestion that's 'just perfect for burning man.' Having yet another sound group up on the playa in lieu of actual art is a situation that I find less than perfect and less than ideal. Suggesting that said group should be fianced by a grant is even less palatable to some of us.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby the_iconoclast » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:13 am

Badger wrote:I'm certainly NOT the voice of authority to I say it won't happen. But applying for funding in order to drag a group up to the playa so that they'll have their expenses paid for by the event (which I'm assuming the funding will be used for) well, it ain't gonna happen.

BTW, some of us are quite suspect ANYTIME we hear someone pop in and say they have an idea/suggestion that's 'just perfect for burning man.' Having yet another sound group up on the playa in lieu of actual art is a situation that I find less than perfect and less than ideal. Suggesting that said group should be fianced by a grant is even less palatable to some of us.

Am I the only person who could hear Badgers teeth grinding as he wrote this?
the_iconoclast

Postby mamasaid » Fri May 06, 2005 12:17 pm

Can't even believe someone brought this up.
Sorry to be rude.

Go to High Sierra, shit, by the end of that event, it sort of feels like burning man. Everyones on ecstasy and there are even a few art cars rolling around.

I have an idea, though, you could sell late night tickets at burning man, there would be a fence and ticket checkers, only the cool people could go back stage, wristbands. yeah, there's an idea...

If they show up on their own accord and fund it themselves, cool. I would, however be really pissed if they got paid to be there. Out of all the bands in the world? Sorry, jeffrey...It ain't bonnaroo

Madi
Blessed Cecilia, appear in visions to all musicians, (including me), appear and inspire
mamasaid

Postby mamasaid » Fri May 06, 2005 12:26 pm

And besides that, who wants more people to attend anyway? This would be a reason to get more people on the playa?

I'm not one of those who disses all the "frat boys and newbies". Bring em on, hopefully it will be for the emotional, personal, and spiritual growth of everyone included. But I'll bet you any amount of money that increasing BM's population ain't all that high on BMorg's or anyone's list.

And last, for real...don't contact the tour manager. why don't you ask someone in the band? Unless you want to make sure there's a green room that has little water bottles and only red m&m's, sushi and hippie granolie food from the organic market. And it's only allowed to be eaten by the band. And it's fenced off. And you have to have a wristband to get back there. Or fucking someone in the band...or you have nice, clean white towels to wipe their foreheads.

Ok, enough. Sorry to bite your head off.
madi
Blessed Cecilia, appear in visions to all musicians, (including me), appear and inspire
mamasaid

Postby rodent » Sat May 28, 2005 8:57 pm

Badger wrote:Having yet another sound group up on the playa in lieu of actual art is a situation that I find less than perfect and less than ideal.

Unless it's GWAR!

Cummon... who wouldn't want to see GWAR play in the Thunderdome?!?

---
rodent (putting the eek in geek)
rodent

Postby ReverbSF » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:51 am

A few thoughts to consider:

1) Some, if not all, of the STS9 guys have been BRC residents for years. Don't ask me how I know this or to prove it, just trust me.

2) If you believe the previous statement, ask yourself why is it that they didn't perform as STS9 while they were there. They could have dawn an incredible crowd... and sold lots of CD's, right..?

Perhaps they go for the same reason we all do... just to get the fuck away from it all. Remember, wanting to see STS9 at BM isn't necessarily a *bad* thing. It's just not necessarily the right venue to see them *as* STS9.

For the record, I fantasize about seeing an unannounced live Zero 7 show at the Temple. *sigh*
Don't fry bacon naked.
ReverbSF

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: The Playa Jazz Cafe

Zero 7 @ Burningman

Postby photon » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:27 pm

Funk yeah, Zero 7 at Burningman. How did you know exactly what was on my mind? Damn Reverb, I just overcame the addiction of this thought. And they'll play for at least an hour longer than the set last June in SF right? And, both Tina and Sia will both be all free lovin on me too. Singing beauty into my ears-only at Burningman.

Well, you can't blame someone for fantasizing about having their favorite band at Burningman. But, realistically you start thinking about everything you may miss that does'nt happen in the real world and realize it's beter to save concerts for venues that won't destroy the performers equipment. With all the fancy electrinstruments STS9 has it would cost them a buttload of money to destroy all their gear. I'll settle for another Tipper set @ sunrise in front of the Temple myself.
photon

bring a recording

Postby P-Mobius » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:06 pm

the sonic ambience of music is an intergral part of every bman experience

heres another option
if you are really down with hearing STS9 grooves while journeying around the playa bring a few of your favorite sets that they have performed on cd or mp3 (or cassette!) and spin that for a few hours at your camp with your friends or as a guest on someone elses system and see what kind of scene can emerge in the swirl---

fine tune the experience to whatever you need and it can be there
P-Mobius

bring a recording

Postby P-Mobius » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:08 pm

the sonic ambience of music is an intergral part of every bman experience

heres another option
if you are really down with hearing STS9 grooves while journeying around the playa bring a few of your favorite sets that they have performed on cd or mp3 (or cassette!) and spin that for a few hours at your camp with your friends or as a guest on someone elses system and see what kind of scene can emerge in the swirl---

fine tune the experience to whatever you need and it can be there
P-Mobius

Return to 2005 Art & Performance