The Audilisk needs your sounds !

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

The Audilisk needs your sounds !

Postby klao DNA » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:04 pm

Greetz!

I am currently collecting sounds for the installation I am building for this year's event, The Audilisk. This is a sound-art installation that will be located on the open playa, playing experimental broadcasts and transmissions.

There is a lot of sound that needs to be generated for this installation between now and when I leave for the Playa. I am currently looking for experimental musicians and sound artists who wish to create or contribute audio compositions for this installation.

Additionaly, even if you are not a musician or composer there are other ways you can help to contribute to the sounds of The Audilisk. I am collecting vocal samples, spoken word audio, numerical recitations, readings of the alphabet, etc....

If you are interested in helping me out, or would just like to learn more about The Audilisk, you can visit http://www.infinitesector.org/theaudilisk for firther details. There you will find an email link where you can contact me directly.

Thanks !

::: rob
klao DNA

Postby klao DNA » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:51 pm

hmm.... seems the email info may be a bit hard to find on the current website layout..... in case you can't find it the email is info@infinitesector.org

thanks !
klao DNA

Questions???

Postby brc-fun » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:10 pm

~1~
Do you want long MP3s, or short, or you don't care?
In other words, would a single full CD length MP3 work well with your plan?

~2~
Will you have a "Line Out" for others to tap into?
I have a mutant vehicle on which I drag around a cacophone (noise maker). I would be nice to sample off the Audilisk.
Or, if you're into it (and your system has a line out), I have a wireless that could transmit 200 yards...
Just a thought.

~3~
I make all sorts of sound/noise, so if there is a genus that is missing from what people send you, let me know, and maybe I can fill the gap.

I'll forward your request to a guy who provides me with good source material (Things like, "Army prcedure VTXJ23: How to clean a bolt action riffle").
Happiness is air presure on the playa,

Grady
brc-fun

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Emerge-n-See In-Tents IV Care Unit

Postby klao DNA » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:42 pm

okay let me try to fill in the gaps from my previous post.. hehe......

RE: length of submitted audio tracks ---

The longer the better! I can accept contributions of ANY length...

Also, a few audio guidelines :

1. Audio compositions should be experiumental in nature, please do not use any "beats" ... rhythmic elements are fine but there should be nothing resembling an actual drum beat. Drones, random sounds, noise textures, experimental sound collages, etc... all will fit well within the framework of what we want to do.

2. Please note that the speaker placement within The Audilisk will have the Left channel facing one direction, and the Right channel facing the opposite direction... please feel free to use this to your advantage.... stereo panning FX are encouraged, as are pieces where there is a strong division of audio sounds between the L and R channels

RE: a line-in source for "live" audio -----

Yes! I will be using a standard home stereo receiver for this installation so I should be able to hook you up to it. Post me an email to info@infinitesector.org and we will discuss this in further detail.

If anyone wants more info, or wants to hear some samples of the audio being created for this installation please email info@infinitesector.org and I will be happy to provide you whatever info you need.

Thanks !
klao DNA

A few quick examples

Postby brc-fun » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:08 pm

Howdy kloa DNA,

I do improvisational noise, so this is my first time recording.
And what a pain in the ass it was...
The MAC I tried to use had no "Mic" jack, and the WINTEL has too many issues to list.
Anyway, here are four samples.

1) This is a strait (I didn't fuck with it) sample from burn night 2003:
{If you know the speak-n-spell guy, please contact him for me!}

http://www.geocites.com/breaddome/mp3z/ ... pelLSD.mp3

2) This is an audio clip made from a camera from the Money Chant camp 2004 which I added some panning to (I can expand on this short one if you'd like):

http://www.geocites.com/breaddome/mp3z/cha.mp3

3) This is a sample of Dr. Megavolt and his crowd from 2003 that I heavily manipulated. It's just a quick chunk to get some feedback from you (and to figure out how to make some MP3s). It does NOT represent much time or thought, but I'd like feedback regarding what sort of stuff you'd like (so I don't spend lots of time making stuff you don't want).

http://www.geocites.com/breaddome/mp3z/Dont_touch.mp3

4) And a sample of flowing water that I've manipulated. Same deal as #3, it was made quick, give me feedback, and I'll make more noise for your phallic shaped audio project.

http://www.geocites.com/breaddome/mp3z/water-sample.mp3

Grady

P.S. Write if you have trouble linking to any of the files, and I'll e-mail them to you.

P.P.S. I had trouble keeping the audio levels from even, so some stuff is too loud and some is too soft.

Grady
brc-fun

Postby klao DNA » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:45 am

Hmm... for some reason I am not able to link to any of these files..... you can email them to info@infinitesector.org and I will take a listen.....
klao DNA

Done

Postby brc-fun » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:20 pm

E-mailed today...
Will start colaborating with someone to help me record hopefully this weekend.

PG13

Grady
brc-fun

Airplay

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:12 am

Perhaps we can help eachother. Myself and others are currently recording audio files for the new WTF 99.9 FM pirate radio station at Camp Apokiliptika.

Some of our material may be a better fit for the obelisk project and vice versa. For example, some of the far out, longer stuff we record might be best for the Obelisk, while brief theme camp and event announcements might be a better fit for radio.

Please send mp3 files of at least 192k BPS quality to mister.jellyfish@gmail.com for consideration of airplay rotation at Burning Man 2005.

'See you on the air.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby Marianne » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:45 pm

Great installlation!

I've emailed you. Check out my site at www.myspace.com/damnfunny
Marianne

Postby damon » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:37 pm

damon wrote:Again, this year, I'm bringing my ambient/downtempo/asian beats CD collection together with 2 CDJs and mixer and I'd like to to offer "background" for any chillout room, lounge, mindaltering installation, projections or sunrise (I'll never forget playing during sunrise last year :)

You can download my latest psyambient mix here

It's a .rar archive, so all You have to do is click, save, and unpack :)

Feel free to use this mix :)
damon

Postby klao DNA » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:32 am

damon :::

cool, I will take a listen ASAP... however I have to warn you that I am trying to avoid anything with beats..... don't get me wrong, I love beats, and in fact I produce tracks and DJ music in the style you just described. I too will be taking my CD decks out to the playa and will be hunting for places to play some music..... yeh, love beats but The Audilisk is being built for more experimental and abstract sounds....

However, I will be hooking my DJ rig up through The Audilisk on a few occasions, and would like to invite you to do the same.... when i do so i will be playing tracks that are less beat-oriented and more experimental than the usual stuff I play - more drones and minimal, glitchy kinda stuff... so if you would like to come up with a good "Audilisk" kinda set let me know and we can work out all the details.

Good luck finding other places to play as well.... I am on the same mission and will let you know if I find any interesting prospects.
klao DNA

Postby damon » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:29 am

klao DNA wrote:damon :::

cool, I will take a listen ASAP... however I have to warn you that I am trying to avoid anything with beats..... don't get me wrong, I love beats, and in fact I produce tracks and DJ music in the style you just described. I too will be taking my CD decks out to the playa and will be hunting for places to play some music..... yeh, love beats but The Audilisk is being built for more experimental and abstract sounds....

However, I will be hooking my DJ rig up through The Audilisk on a few occasions, and would like to invite you to do the same.... when i do so i will be playing tracks that are less beat-oriented and more experimental than the usual stuff I play - more drones and minimal, glitchy kinda stuff... so if you would like to come up with a good "Audilisk" kinda set let me know and we can work out all the details.

Good luck finding other places to play as well.... I am on the same mission and will let you know if I find any interesting prospects.

OK :) That mix is slower than 100bmps :) (first 2 tracks are accapella) So, probably it won't fit into your criteria :)

But I have a lot of different stuff, so maybe we can work something out :)

Peace
damon

Postby klao DNA » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:30 am

I have just set up an automated voice-mail for The Audilisk.

What this means is that you can call (toll free in the U.S.) and leave a message, which is then turned into a digital audio file and sent to my email inbox. All audio I receive this way will be considered for use in the Audilisk. My hope is to get enough of these to make one or more extended experimental sound compositions.

Anyhow, here's the fancy-schmancy toll-free number :

1-888-616-3386

I can't promise I will use everything I get, but I will be using most of it, and I promise to listen to every single message i get....

Thanks! And please pass this number along to anyone who you think might be interested....
klao DNA

Return to 2005 Art & Performance