art materials question

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

art materials question

Postby 5x5 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:05 pm

just thinking.... due to the environmental conditions, are there any every day methods or materials that don't work? my first thought was hot glue gun. would it be so hot that it melts the glue enough to let loose?

i know about the no feathers and glitter for MOOP reasons. i'm thinking more of construction issues with the weather. any other "failure" stories?

thanks!
5x5

Postby Ranger Genius » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:05 pm

If you're using it on something dark, yes, hot glue may melt. Try silcone caulk instead. Likewise, the adhesives for many types of tape can melt, too. Bear in mind, too, that the nights can sometimes be downright frigid, in which case the hot glue will become brittle.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby devilgirl » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:37 pm

There are many great adhesives out there- you should experiment before you test them out under Playa conditions. I have had good luck with all types of fabric glues and epoxy. The heavier wood glues seemed to work well when used with screws/nails. Also, Zip-ties are a must-have. Get a bucket of the various sized ties & hang 'em in a conspicuous spot in your camp.
If you are thinking about painting a sealed surface, like leather or metal, try sanding it a little- helps prevent peeling.
The things that broke down last year were all things that we did not bother to build up first at home, break down and pack up. The things that DID work were the ones we put together outside in the back yard first, plugged-in and played with a while. It may seem like a chore to put everything together when it is nicely packaged, but it's sure a lot better than being out on the Playa, and realizing that it just won't work without that special little part that resides in your tool chest in your garage 400 miles away.
devilgirl

Postby geekster » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:31 am

I have had very good results with J-B weld products:

http://jbweld.net/products/index.php

And silicone RTV products from various manufacturers. RTV comes in many types and consistancies. Some types are in a tube like caulk others are two-part mix and pour that can be used for potting applications. Some types can stand temperatures of up to several hundred degrees and very harsh conditions.

Staple guns are handy and cheap. Get one. power screwdrivers are a real saver of effort on wrists and forearms if you must assemble something with many screws. I generally favor screw construction over nails because things can be disassembled and reassembled for less storage space during transport to the playa.

Make sure you bring super glue. A flexible general purpose adhesive like Elephant Glue is handy too.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby 5x5 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:03 am

thanks! i actually don't have any large scale projects planned, and just thought about the hot glue thing in relation to costumes and accessories.

it's my first time, and i have limited luggage space. although i may consider a small art project that could be shipped ahead to my ride in reno and burned....

so far it's just brainstorming! thanks for the advice!
5x5

Postby RingO'Fire » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:03 am

I'm going to steal robotland's thunder here (he's a Goop evangelist), but Goop brand adhesive is da shiznit for sticking stuff together.
...but it seemed like such a good idea at the time...
RingO'Fire

Postby AntiM » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:28 am

One year I hot-glued pearls and shells and plastic fishies and such onto a pirate's chest. Boy, was he mad.

No really, the treasure chest was sitting out front waiting to be packed into the trailer and the sunlight and heat of an August afternoon in Utah melted the hot glue enough so all my decorations slid off.

Sculptural or 3-d fabric paint has held up well on the playa for me. Takes about 24 hours to dry thoroughly though, so perhaps the projects should be finished at home first. I've used the fabric paints on above chest, my painted heads, hats, and trinket boxes. Try not to think of old ladies in beaded sweatshirts ....
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby geekster » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:19 am

RingO'Fire wrote:I'm going to steal robotland's thunder here (he's a Goop evangelist), but Goop brand adhesive is da shiznit for sticking stuff together.

YES! Goop is good too. In fact, I was trying to think of the name of it and all I kept coming up with was "Goo Gone" ... the solvent used to remove glue. Goop IS great stuff!
geekster

Postby geekster » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:21 am

We used hotmelt glue in 04 to attach glow-in-the-dark stars to a plywood bar structure. Most of them fell off. I collected up the ones I could find but I wouldn't be surprised if some ended up as MOOP.
geekster

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:08 am

geekster wrote:
RingO'Fire wrote:I'm going to steal robotland's thunder here (he's a Goop evangelist), but Goop brand adhesive is da shiznit for sticking stuff together.

YES! Goop is good too. In fact, I was trying to think of the name of it and all I kept coming up with was "Goo Gone" ... the solvent used to remove glue. Goop IS great stuff!

Ditto that, boys. I think it held my whold mutant vehicle together last year. Try the "outdoor" specific product in the green tube for stronger hold but harder to remove. I could not do el wire without it!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

STARS

Postby HEADBANDMAN » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:45 pm

I think I have one of those stars. Thanks :arrow:
HEADBANDMAN

Postby robotland » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:07 pm

Dangit! The second I saw this thread I thought, "Here's another chance to deliver my sermon on GOOP!". Well, at least The Good Word got out. NEW GOOP DISCOVERIES:
Too lazy to sew on embroidered patches? Guess what.......
You can also create realistic "monster drool" for scary masks by allowing it to drizzle down from the mouth of a storebought mask. Looks wet and nasty!
No, the GOOP people STILL ain't paying me.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:16 pm

I can attest that GOOP will hold EL wire onto plywood even at 80mph+ speeds. 1 year later it is still good-to-go...
dragonfly Jafe

Return to 2005 Art & Performance