techno-industrial-exorcist-desperatley seeks a stage

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

techno-industrial-exorcist-desperatley seeks a stage

Postby OOZE_BY_OMEN » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:06 pm

Hello my name is Omen,i run a techno industrial dance
project called ooze. I am a one man performance act
with 2 dancers, 2 TVs, and an assortment of lights and
strobes. I performed in New York for many years,and am
looking to book my 40 minute act.
...........could you direct me to where i
could send a press package?.........any help would be
greatly appreciated..........thank you!!!.........Omen
OOZE_BY_OMEN

got the wrong idea

Postby swampdog » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:37 pm

Burning Man is an unorganized group of camps who band together to share their art with the community. There are no stages to book. If you want to come and play, find a group of like minded people already out here or just haul your gear out and set it up and rock your socks off. Radical self reliance and radical self expression are basic values here.

Asking to book a 40 minute show is a little off-putting. It implies that you haven't really got a clue about what Burning Man is about and aren't worth the trouble of a response. Reposting 24 hrs later under other headings is likely to really tick people off. This is not my attitude, this is the attitude you are likely to experience here from many others, so fair warning.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Re: got the wrong idea

Postby Sandwichman » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:48 pm

swampdog wrote:Burning Man is an unorganized group of camps who band together to share their art with the community. There are no stages to book. If you want to come and play, find a group of like minded people already out here or just haul your gear out and set it up and rock your socks off. Radical self reliance and radical self expression are basic values here.

Asking to book a 40 minute show is a little off-putting. It implies that you haven't really got a clue about what Burning Man is about and aren't worth the trouble of a response. Reposting 24 hrs later under other headings is likely to really tick people off. This is not my attitude, this is the attitude you are likely to experience here from many others, so fair warning.

Real quick thought. Maybe he is a burner looking for bookings before the actual event and is looking for a club or two to book him or Burner type events. I could be wrong but asking for more clarification might be easier than going off on someone.

So with that note I will PM details where to send a presspack and see about possibly booking you in the NW.

Jason
oonsa oonsa for your feets click here
Sandwichman

Postby Badger » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:52 pm

Also there are several of the larger camps that doo look for folks to play sets. Lush is a good example. I think they required a CD to be submitted and then choices were made later in the year.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

sorry

Postby swampdog » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:01 pm

Ahh, ya try to be helpful.

My note was meant to be guidance and caution against the fact that people do go off on people asking what are seen as ignorant questions, not going off on the guy myself.

I didn't realize that camps like Lush look for bookings. Didn't occur to me that this might mean offplaya. My gut is still that this person needs to do some homework, but in any case the act sounds pretty cool so I hope it works out.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Re: got the wrong idea

Postby Sandwichman » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:16 pm

swampdog wrote:It implies that you haven't really got a clue about what Burning Man is about and aren't worth the trouble of a response.

That in my opinion was not the warmest way to say "I'm here to help".

I sent him a PM asking for his promo pack and let him know I could share some resources if he has never in fact been to the playa. I am not some holier than thou or pius type person but rather I think sometimes we get so used to arguing with each other on here we forget how to act a little kinder when someone could use some guidance.

Jason
oonsa oonsa for your feets click here
Sandwichman

Postby stuart » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:31 pm

If you post your request in about five more topic areas you might get an even greater response.
call me baby
stuart

Postby Badger » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:53 pm

Ahh, ya try to be helpful.

I thought your post was spot on. I was just sticking in another point of view.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:34 pm

and you could always go over to the BORG2 site and see if they are going to have a big stage - heck, even apply for a grant!
dragonfly Jafe

Return to 2005 Art & Performance