dreammachines

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

dreammachines

Postby jenny » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:06 pm

Hey all,

I just read this article in the NY Times and I thought it was interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/20/garden/20mach.html?oref=login
You might have to register to see it.

Does anyone have one of these things and take it to the playa? If not I think it would be really great to make a small space out on the playa with a dreammachine in it and instructions or a supervisor.

Validity of mass media jokes aside, having this article in the NY Times lends a little more credence to this machine than it would have otherwise. In my mind anyway. Plus I like the author and his take on it.

In 2002 I wandered across a great little sea-shell looking structure deep out on the playa that you had to lift up the end to let yourself in, and it was filled with a variety of religious idols of all creeds. It would fit maybe 6 people sitting down. It was great, and so was the conversation with all who happened in. It was one of the highlights of my week. Anyway, I think a space like that with a dreammachine would be a real contribution to the event.

They cost min. $500, not to mention the cost for the space to put it in - a but steep for me this year alone because I've been saving for a seperate project, but I'd love to get something going. Anyone interested in joining forces to make this happen? Send me a personal message if so.
jenny

Postby jenny » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:11 pm

Here's a clip if you don't want to register:

"At first glance it looked like something in the window of a TriBeCa furniture store, an oversize lamp from the early 60's maybe. But when Kate Chapman flicked a switch and the three-foot high latticework cylinder in front of me began to spin, it was clear that we were dealing with more than just another piece of midcentury flotsam.

The machine started to cast strobelike patterns of bright light on our faces, and when I closed my eyes as instructed, there they were, the dazzling multicolored forms that I'd been told about: mandalas and crosses and even Mandelbrot fractals, dancing across my eyelids.

I was sitting on the floor of Ms. Chapman's Brooklyn loft, and she was demonstrating her prized household appliance, a 1996 Dreamachine originally made for William S. Burroughs. Besides the trippy visual effects the device is said to induce an "alpha state" - a state conducive to lucid dreaming or intense daydreaming - in people who face the cylinder with their eyes closed as it spins around a bright light."

And from later:

"With my eyes still shut and my mind now very relaxed and slightly adrift, I started to notice that the wall of flashing patterns was receding backward and developing a dark border around its edges. It was at that moment that I sensed someone to my left, sitting beside me, watching what I was watching. This figure was not in the room with me, but in my head, which had now turned into a little theater. I felt that if I turned my head, I would be able to look over at this person.

I opened my eyes, and reality rushed back in, to my relief. That last vision hadn't really been frightening, but it wasn't exactly heartwarming either. But I was impressed. As I talked to Ms. Chapman about my experience, I became aware of an unusual serenity and mental clarity, as if I had just waked from a refreshing nap."
jenny

Postby swampdog » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:56 pm

swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

homemade dream-machines

Postby pi » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:07 pm

not supprising that someone else is thinking along these lines also.
at a BM Regional event last year, i was introduced to a not only homemade, but handheld device that works along the same principals.
it'll be one of my missions to track that chap down and get a good look at it, build one myself and pull that out on the playa for this year.
will keep you informed?
pi

Burning Since: 2001

Postby chimchim » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:26 pm

File this under "There is no new thing under the sun." I was planning on making my first DM along the lines of the previous post.
http://www.interpc.fr/mapage/westernlan ... chine.html
If you want I'll let you know how this works out.

CC
We have enough youth. What we need is a fountain of smart.
chimchim

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:57 pm

chimchim wrote:File this under "There is no new thing under the sun." I was planning on making my first DM along the lines of the previous post.
http://www.interpc.fr/mapage/westernlan ... chine.html
If you want I'll let you know how this works out.

CC

Love your handle. Was that the monkey on speed racer or was it Spridle?
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby robotland » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:39 am

Chimchim was the monkey.

Single most common expression on Speed Racer- "OOhhhhhhhhh".
I used to be really hung up on that damn show- Still have the theme song memorized.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Return to 2005 Art & Performance