A Question...

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

A Question...

Postby sophia marie » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:09 pm

[color=darkred]BM 2005 will be my first burn and I was wondering what suggestions ya'll have for "Must See" camps.

What are the most fun, most relaxing, most decorative, or just your favorite camps on the playa?

Thanks!
Sophia
This woman came home to me.
Silver wings silhouetted against a child?s sunrise....
Fly on, my sweet angel.
Tomorrow I'm gonna be by your side...
sophia marie

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:01 pm

Hi Sophia. Everything you see is must-see. It is the overwhelming disconnect your psyche goes through that forces you to stop seeking and grasping for experiences as we do in the default world. It's cool to have them now, you'll burn your desires sooner or later on the playa.

Cheerio!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby geekster » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:12 pm

I agree. Don't make an itinerary. An itinerary is simple a written manifestation of expectation. Unless you are extremely disciplined you will find that you have so completely varied from that itinerary as to make it completely useless by about Tuesday.

Besides, there are several reasons that approach won't work this early anyway. A couple are ... some camps that were there last year won't be there this year or will be completely different. Some camps that have never been there will be there and be completely awesome.

Forget your "must see" list and create a "did see" list while you are there. Oh, but DO try to stop by Camp Burnier Than Thou because they have a special gift for you.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby Ohranje » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:58 pm

The goal should be to wander - drift - and just basically enjoy everything for what it is.
Juicy Fruit Jim
The Information Fairy
Fairyland - by Playa Fairies
San Francisco, CA
www.playafairies.com
www.ohranje.com
2004 First Burn
Ohranje

Postby sparkletarte » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:46 pm

But wait, I heard there is a tour bus, like a Map of the Stars type of thing. Not true? Oh no!

ps- I think lots of the camps change somewhat every year, some don't return, and new ones are started, and what is someone else's fav might not be yours. Just wander around, you'll find what suits you.
sparkletarte

Postby This Woman » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:36 pm

I can't remember offhand if I have ever seen anything in Black Rock City that I intended to see beforehand. Here is a given: You will not see even one tenth of what there is to see, but you will see it all. Also, time moves differently in BRC, kind of like it did for Rip Van Winkle. Only try to stay awake. If you are awake and determined to see that perfect, pre-planned, camp that you heard so much about on Eplaya you will find that it was yesterday....or two hours from the announced time....or their van broke down in Duluth. None of this will matter. You will already have been distracted by the next camp.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

Postby Rian Jackson » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:51 pm

... and there's a playa law which states that whatever you are dead set on doing you won't manage.

this makes 2 years in a row that the only major committment/must do i've had in the Meet & Greet. I still have never been.
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Words of Wisdom

Postby sophia marie » Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:53 pm

Thanks to all of you for your wisdom, I knew you would have the best advice. Humbly,
Sophia
This woman came home to me.
Silver wings silhouetted against a child?s sunrise....
Fly on, my sweet angel.
Tomorrow I'm gonna be by your side...
sophia marie

Postby tbirdphoto » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:29 pm

Well just have fun, but if you happen to stumble past Camp "Thunderbird"
stop in and have a drink
tbirdphoto

Veterans have no mercy on newbies

Postby Rage » Thu May 05, 2005 12:28 am

The sheer lack of hand holding and central focus that people have come to expect from large gatherings is so confusing for a newbie. Veterans can't explain it and in the long run you can only grasp it by attending.
"I was dreamin' when I wrote this
Forgive me if it goes astray..." - Prince
Rage

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu May 05, 2005 8:17 am

Here's lookin' at ya...

Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Return to 2005 Art & Performance