New Moon Burn in 2005!

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

New Moon Burn in 2005!

Postby XS » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:34 pm

This year the man burns on the eve of the new moon!

I'm hopeful it will be a beautiful, clear, star-lit sky, (clouds not withstanding), full of new energy and endless personal possibilities.

A fresh start in so many ways.

The sky's the limit, the stars - limitless.

Meditate on this one all you luna-ticks and luna-chicks.

Be well.

XS
Too much is never enough.
XS

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:58 pm

note to self: bring more blinky things to wear at night and extras for gifts for the luminously challenged...
dragonfly Jafe

Postby headquarters » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:07 pm

nice change from teh bright ass moon we had last year. i remember getting up to go to the bathroom at night and being able to see everything so clearly and brightly in the moon light a few roads off the esplanade.
headquarters

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:04 pm

yeah a new moon burn could be pretty cool...last year the moon kept fuckin with my head...the moon and that big floating ball of light...i kept feeling like i was on tatoine

Postby Badger » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:33 pm

ROT (rule of thumb) every other year seems to fall on the new moon and in between is the full one (or almost so).

Forget the blinkey lights. Get a cheap GPS and learn how to navigate by using the north star. Simple as it sounds it goes a loooong way towards you not getting lost in the darkness.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby GuinivereElise » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:52 pm

for me, it's not about getting lost, but about BEING seen... by big things... cars, boats, ets... or even the fly-by biker...

I use blinkies to say "HERE I AM!!! DON'T RUN ME OVER!!!"
GuinivereElise

Postby Badger » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:01 pm

Nothing says "I'm here"" better than a 1 million candle power spot beam direct in the face of an errant driver.

PM me for resource info.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

He will turn?!

Postby Tiahaar » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:44 am

Hi all, I was just over checking final ticket tidbits and happened to see more was posted about the theme...and...and...the Man is going to be ROTATEABLE on his base??!! :shock: That will be a m a z i n g !!

(and please please he will stay standing and DPW will engineer well)

But then I was thinking too...oh my what a mind tweaker because I am surely not alone in using the angle of the man's profile as a guide to navigating, and if that is changeable...sheer genius!
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Re: He will turn?!

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:56 am

Tiahaar wrote:
But then I was thinking too...oh my what a mind tweaker because I am surely not alone in using the angle of the man's profile as a guide to navigating, and if that is changeable...sheer genius!

You're right Tiahaar. And just to fuck everybody further, Kernul Killbuck and I are building this: http://www.mutantvehicle.com/miniman.htm

Duke: I remember that big moon-ball-balloon. What a great prank! I did more double takes at that thing than I did female moons on bicycle seats.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby geekster » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:34 am

Check out www.smallparts.com for things like ball joints, etc.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:47 pm

Badger wrote:Forget the blinkey lights. Get a cheap GPS and learn how to navigate by using the north star. Simple as it sounds it goes a loooong way towards you not getting lost in the darkness.

I have never been "lost" at BM - I can navigate very well by stars and natural features, even on the last day. I was more worried about other people not seeing me on the Playa and running me over (especially the cops in their unlit suburbans that do not watch where they are driving!)

But I am intrigued - how would one use a blinky light thing to find out where they are if lost? Is there yet another profound, long-lost art that I am not aware of?
dragonfly Jafe

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:50 pm

Badger wrote:

Nothing says "I'm here"" better than a 1 million candle power spot beam direct in the face of an errant driver.

Even if the errant driver is a police officer?
dragonfly Jafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:53 pm

OKay, okay, okay. I've ridden shotgun at night on the playa. Those idiots zooming in out of nowhere into the headlights scare me sh*tless. Bring blinkies. Bring glows. Gift blinkies. Gift glows. Car v. ped=bad juju.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Isotopia » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:51 pm

Hey, a fried optical nerve is a fried optical nerve. The focused light of a million candles does not discriminate.
Isotopia

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:29 pm

Isotopia wrote:

Hey, a fried optical nerve is a fried optical nerve. The focused light of a million candles does not discriminate.

Thanks for making my point!
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Crankful » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:05 pm

Just a thought but wouldn't it be easier to find a day and a night landmark for your street?...I got lost in my head many times over the last two burns but by getting a bead on something tall and lit I made it back home everytime....
Crankful

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:18 am

Crankful - that is what I always do where ever I go, even in "real" cities. That is one of the favorite parts of BRC for me - learning the look of the city (after a few days I can tell by looking in any direction where I am). Another trick is to look behind you ever now and then - it is a different view (and the one you will need to remember when you want to get home).
dragonfly Jafe

Postby lapeer20m » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:35 pm

The chairway to heaven was my landmark. Once i foudn that, i was almost there!
lapeer20m

Postby Rian Jackson » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:50 pm

there's also the breadcrumb technique, but the hippies have been known to foil that one. they eat it every time, especially when you use whole wheat or multigrain.

likewise the ravers with the glow stick technique.

i've finally settled on a thin piece of wire attached to my camp at one end and myself at the other. it's fun to listen to the screams of the clotheslined as you waltz off into the distance.
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:59 pm

Rian Jackson wrote:there's also the breadcrumb technique, but the hippies have been known to foil that one. they eat it every time, especially when you use whole wheat or multigrain.

likewise the ravers with the glow stick technique.

i've finally settled on a thin piece of wire attached to my camp at one end and myself at the other. it's fun to listen to the screams of the clotheslined as you waltz off into the distance.

^
a person after my own heart
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:19 pm

lapeer20m wrote:The chairway to heaven was my landmark. Once i foudn that, i was almost there!

You must have been near me - I camped next to the chairway (SpaceAho!)
dragonfly Jafe

Postby robotland » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:08 am

While a dark playa will be a great canvas for light art, I'll miss the moon while driving through eastern Nevada....I'm more-or-less a Flatlander, coming from Michigause and all, and swooping through those mountain passes in the dark was kinda spooky-like. When big 'ol Luna popped up to light my way up 447 I was mighty grateful! (Of course, I was dead-set on experiencing every scrap of the week that I could, so I hauled ass to hit the gate at 12:01 instead of being wiser and camping until sunrise...)
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby alienfry » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:54 pm

i so love seeing things via moonlight.

however, it's soooo much easier to go have sneaky rampaging fun in the dark.
awesome oppossum
alienfry

Return to 2005 Art & Performance