Center camp musicians - thursday morning

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Center camp musicians - thursday morning

Postby P-funk » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:45 pm

On Thursday morning shortly after the sun rose I found myself in Center Camp, parked on a couch, listening to some of the best music I had ever heard. The group was a collective of about 8 musicians who had met while performing at center camp and had formed an impromptu band, which they decided to name "Fluid Soul", if I remember correctly.

There were two flautists, three percissionists (one of whom sometimes played a banjo), a didgeridooist, a singer (who sang in Arabic I think), and a girl playing an instrument that looked like a small metal flying saucer. They jammed on middle-eastern themed melodies all morning. They were all improvisiising, and they had all just met, but they were nevertheless able to craft a tremendous intricate sound that rose and fell and flowed like an epic story.

This performance will undoubtedly be one of my favourite memories of Burnign Man. If anyone knows the names of any of these musicians, and especially if any of them are performing in the San Francisco area, please let me know. And if any of them are reading this - thank you so much. And please continue to play together.
P-funk

a musical instrument called a "hang"

Postby P-funk » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:27 pm

I did some research and found out that the metal flying saucer thing is an instrument called a "hang".

http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om16250.html

Does anyone know the girl who played it? Or her friends who played flute and percussion?
P-funk

Return to 2005 Art & Performance