Burning Brain Cells

Our 2005 theme explores psychology: self-expression, self-reflection and the unconscious power of dreams. Discuss.

Burning Brain Cells

Postby tonytohono » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:41 pm

Someone once told me that they used their drug of choice to dumb themself down to everyone else's natural level. Seems it made life easier to deal with. I'm still intrigued with this idea. In fact it makes sense to me now, because for some reason things no longer meshed for us when they were partaking. At the time I thought they did, but looking back on it now, I believe that they in fact did not. Not saying it would have made much difference in the long run, but I know it wasn't helping.

When I used to be in the habit of toasting brain cells I had the illusion going that I was making use of them concurrent to their sacrifice. Was it being high that made the illusion that much easier to swallow? Or was I just a fucking idiot?

I'm openly debating this at this moment. My intellect often confuses my naivete, and my refusal to accept a drug reduced memory makes it impossible for me to accept what I believe is no more than blind faith, and then I realize I still don't have any idea what the fuck I am talking about.

Feel free to offer your insights.
tonytohono

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:00 pm

The human mind does seem to seek intoxication. There hasn't been a culture without methods (chemical at least) to alter mental experience. Animals will also seek out such. (catnip for instance.) Many plants produce chemicals that alter brain function as a defence against being eaten.

I think that there is a definate streak in the culture and in the bm subculture that overrates those experiences.

YMMV
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Rian Jackson » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:02 pm

i would if i had a clue what you were saying.

but i agree with fishie and Stuart Walton (see: what are (you) reading)
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby dr.placebo » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:32 pm

Some people glorify psychoactive chemicals some people hate them, some people ignore them. Some use them to touch the divine, some use them to take the edge off their perceptions, some use them to alter their perceptions. And I agree that every culture does it (to my incomplete knowledge).

The nature of delusion is such that we never truly know which side of the boundary we are on. Are we deluded when we use drugs and claim insights? Or are we deluded when we claim that there are no insights from a chemically altered state?

My own position is that I prefer to retain my chaotic and precarious mental balance without too much tinkering. But anyone who likes coffee as much as I do would be a rank hypocrite to scorn the alternatives.

I hate the persecution of those who just want to get high. I also know that there are unpleasant consequences to many ingested substances. What I wish for is for is tolerance, a bit of caution, and some trust in the brain's own euphoriants.
dr.placebo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Postby Magikal » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:58 am

There was an interesting blurb in the paper the other day wherein this scientist theorized that the human thirst for alcohol was an evolutionary adaptation. It made us want to eat overripe fruit, thereby extending the season that we would eat fruit & get those vital nutriants. Too, it made you eat more, as alcohol sharpens hunger.

Personally, I just like the effect. :P
"All the great villainies of history have been perpetrated by sober men, and chiefly by teetotalers"

H.L.Mencken
Magikal

shaman

Postby psy-magpie » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:04 am

Hey Anthony, interesting artical. I am currently reading a book at the moment, Hofman, L.S.D my problem child. It is about how hallucinatgencic drugs alter the mind state and about how many ancient indigenous tribes have used mushroom etc with lower doses of the natuarally occuring active ingredient in L.S.D. These tribes have ceremonies where they take these drugs and the hallucinations they see are from spirits.

L.S.D is different from amphetamines and narcotics because the consciousness is combined with the subliminal and unconsciousness that is why many people belive everything is real. It evokes a euphoric and almost spiritual mindset. Humans have evolved such that there brains filter out all the usless stuff and concentrate on the important stuff. Hallucinagenics I think somehow alter this filter so things are seen in a new light, you may notice things you have never noticed before.

As for pills and stuff, Anthony, you know whee I stand with them, a few is ok for a fucking good time, but too many, too many weeks is a row is setting yourself up for a fucking bad downer, heheh. As for L.S.D I haven't tried it, not sure if my mind is stable enough for it at the moment.

I think when I get to BM I am going to go the way of the the euphoric high of amp. combined with the free and spiritual feeling of shrooms. I am told this is a good combo
psy-magpie

Postby Rian Jackson » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:24 am

You're speaking hypothetically, correct?
surlier than thou
Rian Jackson

Postby psy-magpie » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:35 am

of course hypothetically. I am coming from overseas and I don't think I wanna be done for smuggling hehe
psy-magpie

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:50 am

Magikal wrote:There was an interesting blurb in the paper the other day wherein this scientist theorized that the human thirst for alcohol was an evolutionary adaptation. It made us want to eat overripe fruit, thereby extending the season that we would eat fruit & get those vital nutriants. Too, it made you eat more, as alcohol sharpens hunger.

Personally, I just like the effect. :P
Do you think that you could find this and post it? It sounds unlikely to me, as animals (birds, and I belive I've been told of elephants) are already "drinking" fermented foods. And check the Vegan cafe thread for some of the stuff we've been saying about meat.) Certainly, getting enough calories was important to our ancestors, but when you think about how hard it is to get us to stop eating, I'm not sure that that extra push would have been needed.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby LeChatNoir » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:36 pm

Black bears will seek out fermented cherries... I’ve seen birds get loopy on ‘em too, then just flop around for a bit. Seems to me that they like the feeling. Like taking a vacation from the doldrums of everyday life?
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

For you, kitty (porterporterporter)

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:36 am

[quote="Jon Carroll of the San Francisco Chronicle]As every schoolchild knows, catnip, Nepeta cataria, is a member of the mint family whose dried leaves smell a little like alfalfa. That is, to humans it smells like alfalfa; cats think it smells like heaven on earth.

The active ingredient in catnip, nepetalactone, is chemically similar to some hallucinogens. However, no matter how hard you sniff it, you will not begin to see pretty sparks at the end of your fingers and realize that life goes on within us and without us and that this apple is just the earth itself in an edible form and humans too are just temporary constructs produced by the chemicals in the earth. Because you are not a cat.

Science does not know why catnip works only on cats. Or, if science knows, it hasn't sent me the memo. Nor does science know why catnip does not work on all cats. I suspect science has been off studying decay-preventing dentifrices and has no time left for important stuff, like developing a comprehensive theory of catnip.

Tracy brought home a catnip banana for Archie. Why a banana? That sounds like the set-up for a joke, although I'm not sure what the punch line is.

Anyway: a curving yellow bundle of catnip. We were going to give it to him, but he anticipated us by getting it out of her purse. We yelled in surprise, and he dashed out the door and down the stairs and into the basement.

"He has a highly developed sense of right and wrong," I said. "Even when he's not wrong."

So we went out on the porch and called him back. He looked surprised, like a thief who unexpectedly receives a good citizenship award. He came back into the kitchen and stalked the banana. He became hyperalert. He knew he was about to sink into intoxication, and he knew his enemies could take advantage of him in that condition. He wanted to make sure there were no enemies present.

(There have never been enemies in the kitchen, not once in Archie's eight years of life. And yet he is constantly on guard, often treating us, his loyal feeders and groomers, as though we meant him harm. It is very annoying, although I don't see it changing any time soon.)

He approached the banana. He sniffed the banana. He rubbed his face in the banana. He fell on his side and grabbed the banana between his front paws. He rolled over. He wiggled like a cat possessed. Suddenly he stopped, clutched his banana to his bosom, and peered suspiciously at the room. Was someone coming to take his banana? He squinted. Maybe, maybe not. Best to -- oops, there's that irresistible scent again. Grab and roll, grab and roll.

Suddenly, he abandoned the banana and walked away. Sure, he can quit any time. It's a matter of will power. No problem. Wait, maybe that banana is going somewhere. Best to be near it at all times. Best to -- OH MY GOD, there's that smell again. Oh oh oh oh, roll chew cuddle yum. And for fun: disembowel.

I am not sure why the urge to disembowel, to dig with the back feet while clutching the object of affection with the front feet, is so tied to pleasure. Well, I am sure, but I don't want to think about it. My forearm has been disemboweled many times, and it's not fun. Sometimes the handling of cats and the handling of bees has a lot in common. I need one of those cool white costumes with the special disemboweling-proof gauntlets.

Archie paused again. He seemed to be coming to his senses. He looked up alertly and then, whoops, back to banana worship. He was powerless over catnip and his life was becoming unmanageable. It would have been good if he could admit it, but studies have shown that cats do not do well in 12-step programs. Cats make no mistakes and owe no amends, at least in the view of the cats.

Science says that the "catnip response" lasts for about 6 minutes, with the "intense period" lasting for 2 to 3 minutes. Oh yes, and I never stayed up all night making tiny paper hats and crying. Archie's "intense period" lasted for a good 20 minutes. He finally left the banana on the floor and went outside to compose himself.

A used catnip toy is not a pretty thing. It looks like a crack house artifact. It was damp and dirty and sticky. I had to remove it from plain view, and that's a job you do not want to volunteer for. If a person had used that banana, it would have given him a useful morning-after jolt and made him wonder how he could ever have sunk that low. Archie experienced no such emotions. Cats know no shame, literally. Shame is for the higher mammals. Shame is replaced in cats by "where's my food?" Everything is replaced in cats by "where's my food?"

You may wonder where our other cat, Bucket, was when all this was taking place. We wonder too.
You know what's really good? Take a little catnip and mix it with a little Campari, and then pour it over ice and add 9 ounces of Jack Daniels. You hardly notice the catnip.

They call me mellow yellow, urp urp urp, they call me jcarroll@sfchronicle.com.

Page E - 18
URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... B3DB71.DTL [/quote]
Should we try that recipie in the bar?
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:11 am

Take a little catnip and mix it with a little Campari, and then pour it over ice and add 9 ounces of Jack Daniels... Should we try that recipie in the bar?

Oh, you know it!!
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby geekster » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:37 am

Interesting thread! In my case, I haven't used drugs for any specific purpose in my life and tend to not use them very much at all. In my case it was mostly curiosity about the affects of them. I wanted to experiance the buzz just to see what it is like. Kind of like going to an amusement park for the afternoon. Simple curiosity and recreation were my motivation. Pot gives me dragon breath, makes me lazy, makes me horny, and can cause me to start reading things into stuff people say that wasn't ment (or was it?). I tend to not really enjoy it all that much except around certain people. I never liked speed or coke either when I tried them 20-some years ago. The only thing I really enjoyed were certain hallucinogenics simply because they were fun.

Alcohol is okay because it can loosen inhibitions and get people communicating if used in moderation. For example, a company I worked for in Virginia would all go out after work on Friday and unwind with a beer bust at a local joint. You would be surprised at what got accomplished as far as operations being aware of what development was doing, being able to feed back problems to the people that actually do the coding, etc. It was a great informal communications method that helped everyone bond as a team and also allowed people to sometimes say what was really on their minds when they might have otherwise held their tongue.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

Re: Burning Brain Cells

Postby blyslv » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:36 pm

tonytohono wrote: I realize I still don't have any idea what the fuck I am talking about.

Feel free to offer your insights.

That makes both of us!.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby blyslv » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:39 pm

What drugs are you talking baout?

How do you define "drugs"?
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby tonytohono » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:31 pm

whatever drugs I am speaking of are inconsenquential. Suppose I am a black bear and I just happened upon a fermented cherry tree. Or a slender feline who just happened upon a bag of some nip.

Just call me the blatherer.

Personally I could get high just hanging out with psy-magpie. Contact high I believe.
tonytohono

Postby psy-magpie » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:21 am

well bring it on Anthony, BM 2005, we will be high together, no artificial means, needed, well maybe a little, you did want to be corrupted, hehe, mwah.
psy-magpie

Postby tonytohono » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:00 pm

Well, from the sounds of it psy-m I could get a contact high from your mere presence. Now fix the f-ing puter.

Mwah right back at you.
tonytohono

Postby skygod » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:03 am

Timothy Leary lectured at my school once. He talked about how early in our evolution, we were one celled animals that experimented with a strange new drug they found at the seashore called "calcium".
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi
skygod

Postby Syntonia » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:08 pm

[quote]There was an interesting blurb in the paper the other day wherein this scientist theorized that the human thirst for alcohol was an evolutionary adaptation. It made us want to eat overripe fruit, thereby extending the season that we would eat fruit & get those vital nutriants. Too, it made you eat more, as alcohol sharpens hunger[/quote]

As an "evolutionary adaptation" theory, we can then surmise that "tweakers" become basically not viable pretty quickly, that alcoholics die off of various ailments, that junkies OD - all as part of a Darwinian survival of the fittest scheme to kill off those weak ones. Which makes sense when one considers that those of us old fryheads live to ripe old ages to pontificate on all this shit. Bill Wilson, founder of Alcoholics Anonymous used LSD once or twice, along with his wife, a physician and a minister and he raved about it. So, as one "clean and sober" now 16 years, perhaps it would not be considered a relapse for me to dose at BM.... nor might it harm me.....mmmmmmmmmm.
Syntonia
Syntonia

Postby Elemental666 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:19 pm

I am a firm believer that Eve didn't make it to the apples, the found some shrooms growing at the base of the Tree of Knowledge. The apple was just to cover the awful flavor of the shrooms...

My philosophy: That which comes from the earth is pure and complete for it is a product of mother nature. That which man makes from the earth is impure as it comes from the incomplete workings of man. Even in nature we put ourselves at risk, but suicide is for the weak.

God, and I use the term generically (I try not to name it, just listen to it), through nature has provided us many varieties of altered consciousness, a state we as humans have historically saught after. Yet to my amazement, few human take advantage of this state for what it can provide. Perspective being the main thing I search for. Seeing the world through altered eyes makes me re-evaluate many of the things I take for granted. Some of these things are revealed to be fruitless systems of ego and some of them become more beautiful once I see how the play into the ever revolving cycles of life. But then we see people bringing the taint of man into the pure processes of nature and they consume for consumptions sake. Much like a virus. Should they take the time to be aware of their state and environment they may learn something about themselves, but their in too big a rush to get some more and "flip the trip."

What I find most amusing is statements like: "Humans have evolved such that there brains filter out all the usless stuff and concentrate on the important stuff." Which in itself is an admission of falsehood. Humans have and are evolving in so many directions that to define "useless stuff" and "important stuff" is to draw battle lines and perpair for another war on change. Humans today are far far more egocentric and self-absorbed than they were 50 or 100 years ago. Realize that we several opportunities to have relations from this time frame. Look at how they grew up, what they considered fun, their art, their communities. And now look at ours. My grandmother is 80years old, been a Southern Baptist all her life, lived in humility and servitude and still she seeks for an altered state. However she does it through a more "group" orientated method. Today, ME is the ruler of mass evolution. A picture of our eveloutionary path would pan out more like the rays of the sun or a starburst as apposed to a more "linear" path. But then again, this is just how I see it, and I alter my consciousness as often as possible. You milage should vary...
Elemental666

Return to 2005 Theme