Define this years theme

Our 2005 theme explores psychology: self-expression, self-reflection and the unconscious power of dreams. Discuss.

Define this years theme

Postby blueniteowl » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:47 pm

There has been some disscussion about exactly what the words in this years theme mean. I want to know what they mean to you and how they associate with each other.

The following post will contain definitions to all the words from www.dictionary.com.
blueniteowl

Postby blueniteowl » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:49 pm

psy·che

n.
1. The spirit or soul.
2. Psychiatry. The mind functioning as the center of thought, emotion, and behavior and consciously or unconsciously adjusting or mediating the body's responses to the social and physical environment.
3. That which is responsible for one's thoughts and feelings; the seat of the faculty of reason; "his mind wandered"; "I couldn't get his words out of my head"
4. The immaterial part of a person; the actuating cause of an individual life
5. Greek mythology a beautiful princess loved by Cupid who visited her at night and told her she must not try to see him; became the personification of the soul

con·scious

adj.
1. Having an awareness of one's environment and one's own existence, sensations, and thoughts.
2. Intentionally conceived or done; deliberate.
3. capable of or marked by thought, will, design, or perception : relating to, being, or being part of consciousness; the conscious mind, conscious and unconscious processes
4. having mental faculties undulled by sleep, faintness, or stupor: became conscious after the anesthesia wore off
5. intentionally conceived; "a conscious effort to speak more slowly"; "a conscious policy"
6. knowing and perceiving; having awareness of surroundings and sensations and thoughts; "remained conscious during the operation"; "conscious of his faults"; "became conscious that he was being followed"
7. (followed by `of') showing realization or recognition of something; "few voters seem conscious of the issue's importance"; "conscious of having succeeded"; "the careful tread of one conscious of his alcoholic load"- Thomas Hardy

n.
In psychoanalysis, the component of waking awareness perceptible by a person at any given instant.

un·con·scious

adj.
1. Lacking awareness and the capacity for sensory perception as if asleep or dead; not conscious.
2. Temporarily lacking consciousness.
3. Occurring in the absence of conscious awareness or thought, as an emotion or motive: unconscious resentment; unconscious fears.
4. Without conscious control; involuntary or unintended: an unconscious mannerism.
5. Of or in a state of unconsciousness; not conscious.
6. (followed by `of') not knowing or perceiving; "happily unconscious of the new calamity at home"- Charles Dickens

n.
1. In psychoanalytic theory, the division of the mind containing elements of psychic makeup, such as memories or repressed desires, that are not subject to conscious perception or control but that often affect conscious thoughts and behavior.
2. The greater part of the psychic apparatus accumulated through life experience that is not ordinarily integrated or available to consciousness yet is manifested as a powerful motive force in overt behavior especially in neurosis and is often revealed (as through dreams, slips of the tongue, or dissociated acts)

sub·con·scious

adj.
1. Not wholly conscious; partially or imperfectly conscious: subconscious perceptions.
2. Existing in the mind but not immediately available to consciousness : affecting thought, feeling, and behavior without entering awareness: subconscious motives, a subconscious reflex
3. Imperfectly conscious : partially but not fully aware: the persistence of subconscious dream activity for several minutes after waking

n.
1. The part of the mind below the level of conscious perception. Often used with the.
2. The mental activities just below the threshold of consciousness; also : the aspect of the mind concerned with such activities
3. psychic activity just below the level of awareness
blueniteowl

Postby blueniteowl » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:10 pm

Oh, and if you're interested in how this topic got started, look here:
viewtopic.php?t=7141&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=23910
and read a few pages
blueniteowl

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:09 pm

This year's theme is definately somewhere between last year's theme and next year's theme...
dragonfly Jafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:33 pm

Having pretty much rejected a lot of freudian thought in favor of good drugs and Oliver Sacks and MRI imagery, I think the theme is skating of the edge of crackpotism. (Is crackpotism better or worse term than crockdom?) Visually, I'm going for a brain. Or maybe a zoloft pill. I do like that depressed little cartoon zoloft in the commercials. Of course, drugs like that shouldn't be advertised in commercials anyway. I'm doomed.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ranger Genius » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:35 pm

wife gets mad at me for making fun of those commercials..."side effects may include being transmuted into a bouncing onion."
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:47 pm

LOL--it's cuter when its depressed anyway and has that cloud following it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby robotland » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:27 am

But in the end it gets to play with a bird, which is nice.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Martiansky » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:31 am

I like when it's happy and bounces really high!
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs
Martiansky

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Surrendering to Sex

Postby dr.placebo » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:42 pm

This link is more commentary than definition, but I liked the writing, and I think that the article has something interesting to say about psyche and sex.

http://www.cleansheets.com/coverstories/steinberg_01.26.05.shtml
dr.placebo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:30 am

Martiansky wrote:I like when it's happy and bounces really high!

I'm working on transforming a pac man game into a burning man theme. Mayby I can use that little zoloft guy to chomp up strings of pills, ya think?
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Return to 2005 Theme