Loved the impromptu fencing matches at center camp.

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Should dueling become the conflict resolution of choice at Burning man?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:00 am

Yes, conflicts should be resolved by armed conflict until serious bruising is inflicted or worse.
100%
No, people should just think warm fuzzy thoughts at each other.
No votes

Total votes : 6

Loved the impromptu fencing matches at center camp.

Postby Fencing man » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:00 am

Center camp can be the BEST place to experience burning man. Who was
that crazy person who challenged people to fencing matches in the early morning hours? Wasnt it GREAT when the rangers accepted an invitation
to a bout? All apologies to the yoga people..... As for the alleged surliness
of coffee servers, heck they were polite to me, sword wielding fool that I am. Maybe a dueling tradition at BM would salve the few negative altercations that arise. Go ahead, toss down that gauntlet and have at each other with swords!
Fencing man

FENCING!!!

Postby Raheer » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:18 pm

I disagree that disagreements should be solved at the tip of an epee, and challenge you to a duel to prove that we should not duel! :wink:

(Meet you at the Man at dawn on Monday next year? I'll bring my mask; you bring the blades. And if you can figure out how to get an electric scoring device to work on the playa, bring it!)
Raheer

Choice ? on method of dual....

Postby nameles » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:05 pm

why not judo throwing or better yet water guns?
nameles

Postby Dog Milt » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:46 pm

My brother and I are stickfighters. We fight full contact with rattan sticks wearing only a fencing mask, thin street hockey gloves, and groin cup. Thursday or Friday night we showed up at Thunderdome, hoping to do a fight (without the harnesses). We were denied by several DeathGuild people who insisted that it would be "too dangerous!" You'd think they'd be interested in seeing some real action, but I guess they're more about the show than actual combat.

So we just walked a little ways away and had our own fight next to their dome. It only lasted a couple of minutes, but a small crowd turned around from the "main event" to watch us. At one point a completely clueless couple strolled right between us during the fight, not paying the slightest bit of attention and almost had their skulls caved in.

-Dog Milt
Dog Milt

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:48 pm

Pistols at twenty paces if you're dead serious!

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Return to Experiences at Burning Man