_____

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

_____

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:21 am

Last edited by Guest on Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby liebling » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:58 am

i change my name every year. once i was gael, sweet pea, rowan, cant remember what else. i guess last year i was 'queenie' altho i dont remember that. but someone i'd camped near last year saw me this year and called me queenie as tho it were my name. it coulda been. he remembered everyone elses name in our camp too, so i guess it could be.
geeze, i musta had a huge brain fart.
gael
we are becoming who we are
liebling

Postby blyslv » Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:59 am

Nobody can pronounce blyslv. In certain cirlces "belay slave" got a raised eyebrow and a wolf grin. But I felt silly introduciung myself as such, so I stuck with my xtian name. Late one night at the Mystic Beats Lounge we got into a deep conversation with someone who had just changed their name. It wasn't just a playa thing, it was for once and for all. But this guy vacillated, partly from feeling that he was rejecting his parents' gift/choice for him.

We can contribute to our own identity, but to a certain (large or small) extent our identity is also what exists in the minds of others, and they will always have their own names for us.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby TawnyGnosis » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:08 am

I went this year with full intention of proclaiming my new playa name. Yet of course only some people took to calling me "Tempest" and my real playa name was born on thursday. I was wearing my red vinyl chaps and my good friend had an idea to write "TNT" on the back of a pair of underwear. I remarked on how that would be a good nickname/performer name...and it stuck. So I guess I'm TNT now, I like it.

I guess I should change my e-playa name too now.l It all gets so confusing.
Heaven's going to burn your eyes
TawnyGnosis

Postby Lydia Love » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:10 am

I've always felt that my mother gave me an extraordinary gift with the name of Lydia - she put a lot of thought into it, picked out a number of possible names and when she saw me decided I was a Lydia. She must have been right. I never wanted another name and nicknames just slide off me.

Apparently though "Cookie" was also on the list of possible names. Yikes.

As far as "love" goes - I like alliteration, I was in a really good mood when I first signed up and it serves as a reminder to myself to at least try to stay positive in regards to other people.
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby Borris » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:58 am

I don't like the concept of playa names, it means that we are different people on the playa and off it. and I know i'm not different.
I added one R to my name on the net just to differ form all those other borises roaming the 3W (and so that noone asks me about Natasha)
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...
Borris

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Postby Jane Eric » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:18 am

Jane Eric has a full history, on and off the playa/e-playa. I'm not done with it just yet.

My given name is my favorite, my first name means my last name, the etymology is the same. When I was very young my friends had trouble spelling my first name. For some reason it was always coming out, "Slyvia" instead of "Sylvia" and so they shortened it to, "Sly". I've been Sly all my life, given to me by my first friends, perpetuated by others. I've never signed anything, "Sly", it just sticks and hangs on because of my friends. I've never been "Sly" on the playa. I'm Jane Eric. It's generic.
Jane Eric

Postby RebA! » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:29 am

Jane Eric wrote:I'm Jane Eric. It's generic.

And its easy to scream from a distance and still be understandable.
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Postby Jane Eric » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:31 am

Ha!

There's never enough time on the playa, I had hoped to spend a little more time with you RebA! You're the shit.
Jane Eric

Postby RebA! » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:37 am

What is RebA!

A nickname given to me many many moons ago (in college) from a good and dear friend of mine. he was calling this name "reba" from across the computer lab. And since i didnt know it was my new nickname at the time I didnt pay attention. Til he yelled it out and I turned around and asked him why he was yelling it.

the capital A and ! is my own additions. As the name is meant to be said enthusiastically like this REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! with your arms flailing in the air. However I will answer to Reba as well.

Also my friend was a big phish fan and off thier album lawn boy which he turned me on to.. there is a song on there called Reba.
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Postby Kilmore » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:22 am

I don't really have a 'playa' name. Kilmore is a mild mutation of the name 'I. Kilmore' which was given to me/earned by me when I was about 15, and has always described the way I play games -- any games -- don't care about winning so much as completely killing off the competition. It has been a nick-name I have used in almost every situation since. By now, I have spent more of my life answering to it than not. Mostly, I go by Dave Kilmore, which represents a merging of my birth name and my 'chosen' name. But since Dave is such a common name, I usually request folks just call me Kilmore. Not that I won't answer to Dave, it is just that calling out 'Kilmore' will get my attention MUCH faster.

And while I think the 'a playa name indicates you are a different person on the playa than in real life' argument does hold water, one could easily argue that identifying that is the case may be the first step into full integration into daily existence. Besides, unless you are channeling spirits or some such, you are never really a different person, just experiencing different aspects of your own personage. If you like those aspects enough to give them their own name, then perhaps you really do need to add them more into your day-to-day life. Or not.

--Kilmore
Kilmore

Postby Zane5100 » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:25 am

this thread sure looks familiar...
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante
Zane5100

Postby Cyberfairie » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:32 am

After being Vegasgirl on the E-playa for several years, I have finally found that Cyberfairie suits me better. I probably wouldn't have changed it on the e-playa but having to re-register provided an opportunity. I don't know, 'Vegasgirl' just sounded so generic, and so, a new personality is born...(like I really needed another one?!)
*The e-playan formerly known as Vegasgirl*
Cyberfairie

Postby clandyone » Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:13 pm

My eplaya nick is short for "clandestine". I don't have a playa name -- just use my real one. For playanonymity I go by my initials sometimes -- they happen to be the same as the acronym for the former Soviet Secret Service, which perplexes some people.
clandyone

ChickenButt BodyRock

Postby CBBR » Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:11 pm

I just can't help it...everytime I turn around, there's my little chickenbutt doing a funky bodyrock.
CBBR

Flux

Postby Flux » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:19 pm

I went three years feeling somewhat naked without a playa name, but I was unwilling to use a name that didn't feel right. Then one night, my wife (a first-time burner this year) looked at me and said, simply, "Flux."

Yeah, that's it. Flux. Perfect.

Took me a while to start introducing myself that way, but it's getting there. I like it. It's me.
Flux

MusicVixen

Postby MusicVixen » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:29 pm

The "Music" part comes from my varied interest in all types of music and performance of it over the years. The "Vixen" part would be my stage persona and we'll leave it at that. :wink:
MusicVixen
MusicVixen

Postby Qt » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:16 pm

Having been a member of online communities for about the past 20 years, I've constantly been forced to try and come up with any number of handles, e-mail addresses, nicknames, etc ... although I've been through a lot, most of my currents are "It's Just Rob" or some variation thereof ... I'd pretty much given up on anything else.

All my life, I have been consistently described as "cute". Although flattering in many ways, I'm sure that many can idenitfy with the sting that "cute" can sometimes bring when you're looking for "sexy" or "hot". One day shortly before Burning Man 2003, a "cute" vs. "sexy" moment prompted me to think to myself, "I *like* that I'm cute!" I decided then that that would be my playa name, as Burning Man is the time of year when I really feel the most in love with and unquestioning of the person I really am. The choice of spelling really has no other basis than c-u-t-e seeming a little boring ... although it often requires an extra step (note my signature) to explain that it's pronounced "cute" and not "cutie". Hey, I said I liked being Qt ... I didn't say it would be easy. :)

I have to admit that there was an unexpected, but very pleasing benefit. When I would introduce myself to people, I would say, "Hi, I'm Qt!" and I almost always got a smile followed by, "Yeah, you are!" :wink:
Be good to you,

Qt ("Cute")

--------------------------------------------------------
Reality is an illusion created by the lack of imagination.
Qt

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:57 am

Last edited by Guest on Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Jane Eric » Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:23 am

clandyone wrote:
My eplaya nick is short for "clandestine".

Have you run into Clan Destino? They were at 9:30 and Esplanade, a group of about 80 people.
Jane Eric

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:09 pm

Everyone who knows me, whether or not we're on the playa, e-playa, or just hangin' knows me as Doc. Or The Doc. Or Dr. Pyro. But always Doc. You can call my office, ask for Dr. Pyro and they'll put the call through to me. Am I a doctor? Well, I play one on the internet. Or I'll "play doctor" on the playa. Enough said.

The Doc
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Halo Joe » Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:50 pm

tempest wrote:I guess I should change my e-playa name too now.l It all gets so confusing.

I like TNT, don't get me wrong, but give us something to stick to. (Some of us old farts are easily confused after all ...) [Insert sickening smiley-face emotidrone of your choice here.]
You were burning long before you stepped into this fire. -- EB
Halo Joe

Postby PJ » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:15 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Am I a doctor? Well, I play one on the internet...

I've been telling people you're associated with that international medical aid group, "Doctors Without Training." They do a lot of good work in disreputable locations around the world. (Chicks dig that altruism thing, y'know. And the ones that don't know what that means are hot for doctors in general. Either way works.)
PJ

Postby clandyone » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:54 pm

Jane Eric wrote:clandyone wrote:
My eplaya nick is short for "clandestine".

Have you run into Clan Destino? They were at 9:30 and Esplanade, a group of about 80 people.

Nope, dammit. Was pretty much tethered to my camp all week. Next year I'm camping out of the back of the van, and bringing Clan Destino some tequila.
clandyone

Postby Qt » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:14 pm

LOL @ "man"ly chest hair ... pun intended, I hope?

Actually, it's all mine ... or was. To be honest, I hate my chest hair ... always have. But too in love with the "me" as a whole to be superficial enough to shave it. So, I vowed to embrace rather than despise it for BM this year. You can thank the Body Hair Barber Shop at 5:30(?)/Faith for the great work.

And. in an unrelated story, some great licking of peanut butter from my nipples was provided right after this was completed. It's amazing that people still continue to wonder why Burning Man is so special. ;)
Be good to you,

Qt ("Cute")

Qt

Postby Isotopia » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:15 pm

Hey QT, is your avatar a pic of andy Warhol's torso? looks kinda familiar...
Isotopia

Postby Qt » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:33 pm

LOL ... nope, that's my beautiful torso you'd be staring at ...

Unless, of course, the question was completely rhetorical ... the Andy Warhol reference flew right over my stoned head. :lol:
Be good to you,

Qt ("Cute")

Qt

Postby Kinetic » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:41 pm

A body hair barber shop? And I missed it?

Note to self: You will be conditioned and in shape before the 04 burn. You will not spend the first 2 days sleeping day and night.

I can't believe all the stuff I missed this year. I missed the HeeBeeGeeBee healers too...

No wonder I'm so negative after this year's burn.
Kinetic

Postby Ivy » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:47 pm

You will not spend the first 2 days sleeping day and night.

Why not? I've done it both years I've gone. I regret losing time, but I still believe it's best in the long run in helping my body adjust.
Ivy

Postby III » Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:02 am

>And I missed it?

you'll always miss something. in fact, you'll probably miss a lot of things. the trick is to enjoy what you do experience, rather than regret what you didn't.
III

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man