Top Asshats of 2013

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Top Asshats of 2013

Postby maryanimal » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:42 pm

I can honestly say, no asshats crossed my path this year! Everyone I met, talked to, and hugged were kind and happy!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Top Asshats of 2013

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:42 pm

Oh!! Me me, pick me!
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby maryanimal » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:44 pm

Sorry Captain, you weren't an asshat! Try harder next year! :D
Last edited by maryanimal on Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby tatonka » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:44 pm

some women on a bike almost hit these two kids out on the playa, she called them Darkwads and they yelled back at her Fuck You . I said Hey and they ran , was only arguement I seen all week .
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby Lonesomebri » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:25 pm

Everyone was real cool, except for those I didn't get along with, those people are asshats.

I would put high on the list the person who stole my newbies bike at Robot Heart. And the camp that chased me off from setting up my camp on L and 8:30, so they could set up their totally chill dome and leave a huge MOOP impact, way to go!
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Sail Man » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:42 pm

These are always one of my favorite post burn threads :)

Come on peeps, I know there were some juicy asshats out there, post yer stories so those who couldn't make it can salivate vicariously :mrgreen:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby VultureChow » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:44 pm

Chick who tried to ride the cougar after I asked her not to ride the cougar. She absolutely needed that picture of her straddling the cougar. Even went to the effort of standing on her tiptoes and straddling it without putting any weight on him. Then she kicked his tail while trying to dismount.

Other than that, even the few super drunk or drugged up guys I ran across were of the love everything type and not the aggressive type and moved gently on their way.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby tamarakay » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:04 pm

Dude who kicked fishy's van, twice.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby GreyCoyote » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:06 pm

tamarakay wrote:Dude who kicked fishy's van, twice.

OMFG. Seriously???
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Postby Sail Man » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:09 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:

OMFG. Seriously???

Ok, thats the wrong kinda juicy :evil:

That is an asshat that needs to be gorilla glued to the front of Fishy's van for the ride home. Tailgating by Fishy encouraged. Nay! Bumper tag.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby GreyCoyote » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:24 pm

I watched this go down years ago:

Guy is the "Camp Boss" who doesnt do anything... Just barks random orders and gets huffy when the plebs dont respect his authority. By Friday, half the camp has left in mutiny. The guy gets shit-faced drunk and passes out in his monkey hut. Mischief ensues.

In the morning, his van has 2 feet of playa in it. On top of that, was all the moop from the camp and more than a few neighbors. Windows down. Battery missing. Keys missing. And the entire camp is gone with all the food, water, etc. (they setup again a half a mile away under the moniker "Camp Frag Da Louie", as the asshats name was Louis). :mrgreen:

The "victim" was working his way down the street trying to get some help and sympathy. None was forthcoming AT ALL. Dunno what happened to him. He still hadn't got the van running when we left on Tuesday.

Social justice can be such a beautiful thing. :mrgreen:
"Give me an underground laboratory, a half a dozen atom smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nations laws"!
GreyCoyote

Postby fernley1 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:57 pm

While chilling out at camp Q mark, I was in back of the crowd listening to the music. This group of people dressed all in white, with fake gemstones glued to their faces, ran into me with this 6 feet high bike, looked at me like I was in the way, and didnt say anything. These asses could not park their bike where everyone else parked, no, they were "entitled" to park them where all the people were dancing and chilling out.
Other then that, everyone else I meet was nice and friendly.
fernley1

Postby BBadger » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:29 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:I watched this go down years ago:

Guy is the "Camp Boss" who doesnt do anything... Just barks random orders and gets huffy when the plebs dont respect his authority. By Friday, half the camp has left in mutiny. The guy gets shit-faced drunk and passes out in his monkey hut. Mischief ensues.

In the morning, his van has 2 feet of playa in it. On top of that, was all the moop from the camp and more than a few neighbors. Windows down. Battery missing. Keys missing. And the entire camp is gone with all the food, water, etc. (they setup again a half a mile away under the moniker "Camp Frag Da Louie", as the asshats name was Louis). :mrgreen:

The "victim" was working his way down the street trying to get some help and sympathy. None was forthcoming AT ALL. Dunno what happened to him. He still hadn't got the van running when we left on Tuesday.

Was his van marked with "sanctuary"?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby GreyCoyote » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:34 pm

BBadger wrote:

Now that is FUNNY right there. :mrgreen:
GreyCoyote

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Driving the Land Yacht up 4:00 street one night with Clocks & Mirrors, a guy on a bike yelled all sorts of "Fuck You Asshole" at me for having my headlights on, saying I'd ruined his night vision. I jumped off the boat to have a personal chat with the gentleman who seemed to desire communication, but he rode away. How odd.
I know, I've got bright-ass lights on sometimes, but it's so people notice the large object approaching. It's Burning Man... there are lights, there is noise, it's not a school library.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby lucky420 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:33 pm

This absolutely wins asshat of 2013! And our dear TK brought said asshat to tears in schooling him on making assumptions.

It was glorious :twisted:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby GreyCoyote » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:38 pm

lucky420 wrote:

This absolutely wins asshat of 2013! And our dear TK brought said asshat to tears in schooling him on making assumptions.

It was glorious :twisted:

SWEET! :mrgreen:
GreyCoyote

Postby CaffeineGirl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:40 pm

Anyone, and there were many, who painted pyro and perimeter crews with lasers.
CaffeineGirl

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Postby Elorrum » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:55 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:
BBadger wrote:

Now that is FUNNY right there. :mrgreen:

What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby uncle sticky » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:27 pm

Guy I know had his art car boosted from a sound camp. That was pretty ass-hat, but his response was worse. I chalk it up to being pissed that somebody stole his M.V., but he admitted to grabbing a couple of bikes randomly to ride back to camp. He told me this story recently, and I think the look on my face told my opinion. thankfully the MV was balky, he found it quick, and returned the bike, but still :x
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!
uncle sticky

Postby britzbitz » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:51 pm

-When we arrived on Sunday night, there was an art car approaching from blocks away that had it's brights on. We were trying to find camp and couldn't read any of the signs, so we flicked our highbeams at it to let them know theirs were on. In response, they turned on some even brighter high beams (wtf, how was that even possible?). Everyone in our car was blinded, and had spots in our vision for several minutes after they passed. I'm surprised they didn't cause an accident.

-The management at the camp I was originally with, and then left.

-The guy on Bugaloo (the Dirty Beetles art car) on Saturday night who was asked to leave by his campmates. Which kind of made him snap, and he started pushing someone against a rickety railing on the roof of this 2 decker bus. Two big guys intervened and started trying to coax him down the ladder and off the bus, which apparently pissed him off more. It took the two of them probably 5-7 minutes to get him down, him being confrontational and aggressive the whole time, and he kicked one of the guys as he was going down the ladder. Somehow managed to gash the arm of one of the guys (we ended up helping him clean himself up when the bus stopped at our camp later). According to his campmates, the dude is normally "a really nice guy", and was on the wrong combination of somethings... but I do think the scene he caused earns him asshat status. It was the closest thing I've ever seen to a "fight" at Burning Man.
"the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware - joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - henry miller
britzbitz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: DISTRIKT / Couch Surfer at FunkyTown

Postby name redacted » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:22 pm

I predict I will be on someones asshat list for 2014....
A wise man gets more from his enemies than a fool does from his friends.
-Niki Lauda
name redacted

Burning Since: 1996

Postby RosieTahoe » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:08 pm

The woman who woke my husband and I up at 7:30am on Monday morning (after we had arrived at BRC late Sunday night) telling us that we were camped in her theme camps' area, seriously you can't wait until 9am?!? I had walked all around the night before asking EVERYONE I could find, including someone in her camp, to make sure we were camped in open camping. I had also clearly seen the blue flags in other areas marking the theme camps, but NOT in the corner where we were camping. Anyway, it turned out I was completely right, the area was NOT reserved, but it was directly adjacent to her camps area and she kept babbling on about how "people had paid a lot of money to guarantee their RV space at the camp and this area is definitely reserved, and the wind MUST have blown away all the blue flags!!" Well, I gave her a piece of my mind (California has done it's job mellowing me out, but I am a New Yorker born and raised!) and my husband wanted to just stay put and stick it to her, but I had done enough research to know you are supposed to bond with your neighbors so...

We moved across the street, and ended up getting along so well with our new neighbors that we are camping with them in 2014! So, I'm not mad, was totally meant to be. AND, the guy who I had asked the night before if we could camp there must have felt bad because he and another girl came up to us while we were re-setting up camp and gave us a beautiful metal medallion pin of the city, which I turned into a necklace and have been wearing everywhere since I returned home. So thank you lady Asshat!!
RosieTahoe

Postby jkisha » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:17 pm

Social justice can be such a beautiful thing. :mrgreen:

Hmmm. Sounds a bit harsh if you ask me.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Nipple » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:51 pm

Yeah... it kind of sounds like "Social Justice" is a euphemism for "Mob rule".

Another term for that is Ochlocracy.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BBadger » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:01 pm

RosieTahoe wrote:We moved across the street, and ended up getting along so well with our new neighbors that we are camping with them in 2014! So, I'm not mad, was totally meant to be. AND, the guy who I had asked the night before if we could camp there must have felt bad because he and another girl came up to us while we were re-setting up camp and gave us a beautiful metal medallion pin of the city, which I turned into a necklace and have been wearing everywhere since I returned home. So thank you lady Asshat!!

Even asshats have their place in this circle of life.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby trilobyte » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:37 pm

Great job in making the most of the situation, Rosie!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:30 am

[media]
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:42 am

is it too early to start a top asshats of 2014 thread?
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Elorrum » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:24 am

Nous avons un bon candidat.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man