Wholly Burger, thoughts?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Wholly Burger, thoughts?

Postby nemo » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:38 am

Fishing for opinions... Did you see the glowing burger, understand its meaning? Just trying to get some reaction. We toiled long and hard.. the creator would appreciate some opinion...
be yourself in a world struggling to make you like everyone else
nemo

I saw the Wholly Burger, didn't get its meaning

Postby Greeter Dan » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:25 am

Hello,

Greeter Dan here. On Sunday morning, some friends and I were sitting in the pyramid with the symbols of many religions (I don't know the name of it), and we noticed something that looked like a big hamburger on the horizon. I grabbed a bike to ride out to it, and discovered the altar inside.

At the altar I found a small plushy burger purse, and I decided my friends had to see it. So, I (very) temporarily borrowed the burger purse and jammed it into my jumpsuit and rode back to my friends, where I pulled it out theatrically. When the laughter died down five minutes later, I rode back to the altar, and replaced the burger purse. I put the "Love Deputy" button on top of it.

Thank you very much. But I still didn't get the meaning. What was it?

Greeter Dan
Platypuses do love hamburgers
Flap Flap Wiggle
Greeter Dan

wholly burger!

Postby great haji » Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:59 pm

my friend and I spent some time inside the wholly burger and loved it!
we read the message out loud to those that entered, and convinced people to take a bite from the "sacred pop tart" which someone had placed on your altar.

I wasn't initially attracted to it, thought it might some lame left over trade show inflatable, but I know that I should always visit those things that I at first want to avoid.

very good piece.
great haji

Postby dirtydusty » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:44 pm

I loved Wholly Burger! I laughed my ass off when I read the posted prayer inside, and I photographed it along with the exterior and sign. Thanks for a great work that conveys powerful statements about contemporary culture, business, and politics.
dirtydusty

Postby nemo » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:58 pm

Well I think we were trying to take a swipe at our almost religious devotion to fast food as Americans. Its probably one of the most unifying beliefs that people have in this country - that quicker faster easier is somehow better. And the one stop homogenization of our lives goes way beyond fast food - to WalMart, 7-11, and pop radio. Everything is moving toward sameness - we were hoping to point that out. The Wholly Burger represents our religious devotiong to faster, easier, standardization, boring, less choices - people as cattle.
be yourself in a world struggling to make you like everyone else
nemo

Postby dirtydusty » Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:32 pm

That is definitely the trend in modern society, and the disassociation of the individual from itself is what it's all about. It's the modern religion. The religion of big commerce, with a political nexus. And just like the worthless, dangerous products it sells, it ain't good for you.
dirtydusty

Postby jbelson » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:48 am

I loved Wholly Burger. Not just cause I love burgers, but because it appealed to the consumer in me. After doing so much shopping for the trip, which had me pretty stressed by the time I got to BRC, it was kind of an acknowledgement of what we go thru.
For me, I didn't see it as a preechy, anti-commercializations, stop buying, kind of thing. I for one love that we can buy in bulk. I love that we have sandwiches and burgers piled high with meat. I've traveled to 3 continents in the last 3 years and have come to appreciate the opportunity of Americans to eat and get fat. Our main driving force is to eat, above anything else. The wholly burger seemed to recognize the oppulance we've taken the experience of our digestion.
Eveybody wants food! If you can have more than enough, whats wrong with that?

I picture the Wholly Burger artist to be regurgitating at my interpretation of their work.
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

Re: Wholly Burger, thoughts?

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:20 pm

nemo wrote:Fishing for opinions... Did you see the glowing burger, understand its meaning? Just trying to get some reaction. We toiled long and hard.. the creator would appreciate some opinion...

did you use MSG?

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Return to Experiences at Burning Man