Exodus 2013

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: Exodus 2013 - How was it?

Postby wonapauli » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:05 pm

Looks like 9+ hours today... friends left at 3:00pm Playa time and approaching pavement at midnight
wonapauli

Burning Since: 2014

Postby biblioclasm » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:51 pm

Left BRC at 10:30 am on Monday Sep. 2, and finally settled down in Reno at Sands Regency at 11:30 pm. Gate road wait time was 6-9 hours.
biblioclasm

Burning Since: 2013

Postby otakup0pe » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:58 am

Monday morning we were in line for a bit under eight hours. Hit the gravel just as the rain started and they closed the line behind us.

Spent time around noon misting people around us.
otakup0pe

Burning Since: 2012

Postby unjonharley » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:08 am

The new Homer Bucket Coolered work great sitting in line..

Thnx Figjam
unjonharley

Postby tatonka » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:23 am

got in line at 4:20am monday and hit 447 north at 10:50 6.5 hrs . in line starter on truck started giving out so i left it running and almost ran out of gas. got to cedarville on fumes. didnt turn truck off all day . gas station attendants didnt mind. got home st 10:00pm mon night ;)
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby BurningDaylight » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:28 am

Got in line Sunday about 7 pm. Saw the temple burn (or, rather, it's glow) from the line. Hit the pavement around midnight. So, 5 hours from camp to pavement, then another 2 hours to about the 60 mile mark, where we could pull off and away from the highway for a 5 hour nap. Another hour to Reno after that.

At the 15-minute pulsing area, they have, presumably, one hour's worth of cars that they let go in 15-minute chunks. To indicate the beginning of the next group, they put a cone in front of the next vehicle for each of the 15 or so lanes, then inform the driver that they are to wait until notified to proceed. We were coned as the first to go in our lane for the next pulse. The car in the lane next to us either didn't understand or didn't get it and just drove over the cone and went as soon as the car in front of them started moving. Those behind in that lane, ignorant of the cone thing, just started surging ahead. Vehicles in other lanes, seeing everyone else going, started to freak out and tried to get around the vehicles in front of them. It was actually getting dangerous as cars were trying to squeeze between lanes. We were able to get out and stop them after too much mayhem and everyone chilled out after we explained what was going on. Incidentally, the cone in front of the culprit car completely disappeared, meaning they dragged it along with them to the highway. I can hear them now - Hmm, do you smell burning plastic?
Just up or still up?
BurningDaylight

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Abstininthe

Postby Kenny Z » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:51 am

Out of 12 years of leaving the place, this was not my shortest nor longest exodus, but it was one of my best. We left around 4:45pm Sunday and had about 4 hours until pavement. But the "pulsing" was rad! Totally prevented the need for everybody to be on guard so that douchebags don't cut in front of them if they don't start their car soon enough. And I was ready to leave but in the exodus I reconnected with some burners I have met in years past. Then I didn't want the exodus to end!
Kenny Z

Postby BalmyMommy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Are people still waiting to exit? We have a family member that we are worried about. Anyone know? Please?
BalmyMommy

Burning Since: 2014

The Gate Access Radio broadcast did more harm than good.

Postby crstophr » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Our strategy was to pack on Sunday and listen to the radio for an opportune time to leave. Our plan failed due to inaccurate and not updated radio information. GAR seemed like it should be the authoritative source for exodus information. Unfortunately it was a recorded message that was rarely updated. We went to bed Sunday night with the radio saying that the current exodus times were near 8 hours. They said it WILL rain all afternoon on Monday starting at noon and the city was expected to be locked down all afternoon. They suggested the best time to leave was 3AM Monday morning and insisted that everyone who needs to go should be out before noon Monday.

We set our alarms for early Monday morning and attempted to sleep.

When we got up at 4AM Monday we realized we were on our own. They hadn't updated the radio broadcast. It was STILL repeating the same message and suggesting that people leave at 3AM, an hour ago... Nobody had bothered to update it with new exodus information which left us with essentially no trustworthy source to decide on when to leave (BMIR wasn't better...). We decided to go back to sleep and face whatever came in a better rested state.

In the end nothing the GAR broadcast said ended up being true. The rains never came in any meaningful way, and the small sprinkle we did see caused the gate crew to panic and close the gate. Staring at dry ground while being told the roads were too wet to drive on strained even my well expanded sense of the surreal. The exodus times were off by a wide margin.

PLEASE either commit to making the GAR a reliable and regularly updated source of information or take it off the air. Providing outdated or incorrect information is far worse than having no information to go on. Have someone record the date/time of the latest update so we have some idea if the information is current. Update the broadcast hourly at a minimum even if it's just to re-record the date/time message. We really need this service and it's a wonderful idea in principle but it was so poorly handled this year that I'll have a hard time trusting it in the future.
crstophr

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:41 pm

BalmyMommy wrote:Are there still people not packed and not yet in line? Starting to feel a little worried about my son.

Yes. It's Tuesday at 3:30 pm and I and some others are still on the playa.
The rain scare was a false alarm. It's the nicest day ever out here! Sunny and very little dust.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby BurningDaylight » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:44 pm

BalmyMommy wrote:Are people still waiting to exit? We have a family member that we are worried about. Anyone know? Please?

Balmy - Sounds like there was a lot of confusion about when the best time to leave was, and it is possible your son is still in the city and hasn't left yet. Or got stuck in a 6-12 wait to get out. Or is actually on the road but stuck in traffic. Or decided to rest overnight at a Reno hotel. You should also be aware that he may still be out of cell phone range. Keep checking here for updated info. Anyone have other ideas where to get more Exodus info?
Just up or still up?
BurningDaylight

Re: Rain was a real and serious risk

Postby Canoe » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:14 pm

crstophr wrote:... The rains never came in any meaningful way, and the small sprinkle we did see caused the gate crew to panic and close the gate. ...

Sorry the radio wasn't up to date, but...

Rain can be very localized. A light rain still makes the clay in the playa soil stick to tires, fill up wheel wells and chew up the playa surface til you're jammed. Although very light, they can't let any one drive on it until it is dry.

A line of medium to heavy rain went through heading north, passing just to the west. Parts of it did hit the playa, and more hit around Gerlach and just north of BRC, and a bunch onto the east side of the Black Rock Desert.
(to see a couple of snaps of what almost hit BRC viewtopic.php?f=69&t=66754#p973065, viewtopic.php?f=69&t=66754&start=30#p973080)

Had that line of rain hit the Exodus line (it was many hours worth of rain), anyone in that line would still be in that line, and until the ground dried out. Two days, maybe three, possibly longer. And if it hit the whole of BRC... no one in or out, including porta-potty servicing trucks.
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby pink » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:31 pm

Tuesday was a straight shot, 10 mph all the way!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby creativecstasy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:42 pm

My car left camp at 9&C 5:40 pm Sunday. We hit pavement 11:30 pm. Pulses were NOT a mile. We took 4 hours to go 1.5 miles.

4 hours to Reno from pavement. Slept at Sands.

After Reno we got stuck behind the flipped RV about 2-3 hours. parked on I 80 and blasted music. About 7 hours Reno to Oakland.
creativecstasy

Re: The Gate Access Radio broadcast did more harm than good.

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:15 pm

crstophr wrote:The rains never came in any meaningful way, and the small sprinkle we did see caused the gate crew to panic and close the gate. Staring at dry ground while being told the roads were too wet to drive on strained even my well expanded sense of the surreal.

While I agree with your assessment of GAR, the above isn't quite accurate. I was caught in that light sprinkle, and while it did dry on the road fairly fast, you have to remember that the playa is a dried lake bed and that when it rains, even a little, water gathers from the surrounding hills onto the edge of that lake bed. We talked to some of the Exodus crew & it there was about 4" of wet on the edge before the gravel road out, and the road was closed until the BLM (not GPE) said it could open.

We left camp at about 11:45am Monday & it took us 8 hours to pavement, another hour to Gerlach, and a total of 11.5 to Reno. Ugh. At least the pulse went incredibly smooth (good job GPE!), ran into friends I hadn't seen all week in line, met new friends, and generally had a good time. While it was my longest Exodus ever, it was definitely not my worst.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby CaffeineGirl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:54 pm

4 of us got up at 4 AM Tuesday morning, packed up two tents, and were headed out by 4:45 AM. Hit pavement at 5:15 AM. It would have been faster as the roads were the smoothest we have ever experienced, but the LEOs were out catching "speeders", so we kept it under 10 MPH.
CaffeineGirl

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Postby zeigen » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:27 pm

Left camp 9:20am Monday. GAR announced 4-6 hours wait and rains would hit at noon.
We were /almost/ at the front (maybe 15 cars back) when the rain hit at 3:30pm.
We were stopped for two hours at that point, then finally on pavement a bit after 5:30pm when the line started moving for real again.
447 was mostly at the limit; hit Wadsworth at 8pm Mon. No trouble on 80 Westbound to SF.
zeigen

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DeBocceRi

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:31 pm

I have already posted my exodus.. Must add.. I said I was hungry at one point.. Two cars of burners gave me nuts, apple and a health bar..
unjonharley

Postby hazertag » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:36 pm

We left after temple burn on sunday night. we got in line for a bit and then turned the radio on, they were saying 7+ hour wait. We slept for a few hours until 1:30 or so then got back in line. At that point it took about 5 hours to pavement. At one point when we were in line they were saying on the radio the wait was 8 hours.
hazertag

Postby BurningDaylight » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:37 pm

So, I was going to compile everyone's times from camp to pavement by time, thinking it would make this enlightening bar chart, but there appeared to be no correlation between departure time and time spent in line. Didn't really pan out that way - it seems to be pretty random. But I will say that from posts on this thread together with anecdotes from campmates and friends (sample of about 20), the average wait in exodus was about 6 hours.

I also experienced the inaccurate and seemingly outdated GARS reports about wait times. It seems like with just a little more work, they could estimate pretty accurately and in real time what the wait will be for those entering the line. Don't get me wrong - I appreciate the work the gate staff does and the pulsing idea is absolutely brilliant. But there is certainly room for improvement in the dissemination of information.
Just up or still up?
BurningDaylight

Postby Anderp12 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:38 pm

We left at 6:45am on Monday morning. Did not hit pavement until 3:30pm, the longest, most horrid exodus I have ever had in my 8 years of burning. Did not get to Reno until 6:45pm.
Anderp12

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Mystikal Misfits

Postby ohCarie » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:20 pm

crstophr wrote:Our strategy was to pack on Sunday and listen to the radio for an opportune time to leave. Our plan failed due to inaccurate and not updated radio information.

I completely agree. We were planning on following BMIR and GAR's suggestions on when to leave, but then realized they were useless. GAR simply replayed the same recorded message for 12 hours and BMIR said to be sure to be out by noon on Monday, but also said not to leave after temple burn. But if you do the math, how would a still seemingly packed playa ALL leave between 3am and 11am? It made no sense. Next year I will simply ignore the radio and keep my ear to the ground so to speak to see when people are leaving.
We caught the temple burn from the top of the trailer and then got into line just before 9pm. We pulsed for 5:15 hours and then slept parked at Loves in Fernley. Horrible sleep, but at least we were out. We missed the accident on 80w but it was slow going and rainy. Visited with a friend from camp in line, had dinner, even slept a little during pulse. Great work GPE.
"It's not that I'm so old, it's that I'm so drunk." -Felony
ohCarie

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BDC

Postby ohCarie » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:29 pm

Here's the report about the accident near Truckee, by the way.
http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/news/7984108-113/francisco-musayelyants-san-suffered
"It's not that I'm so old, it's that I'm so drunk." -Felony
ohCarie

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BDC

Postby TripoleAAA » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:49 am

I left at about 1 or 2 I think and was on pavement by 830 or so. Did anyone else party at the RV with the hot dogs and several dj Ipod sets? I'm looking for the name of the camp and art car those guys are from I didn't get to exchange info. :? too sleepy to use my brain properly. but the party was off the chain. somebody said it was like a perfect beer commercial.
TripoleAAA

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Tazii camp

Postby Canoe » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:26 am

ohCarie wrote:... But if you do the math, how would a still seemingly packed playa ALL leave between 3am and 11am? It made no sense. ...

People do start leaving on Saturday morning, a small but regular flow by the afternoon, with flow increasing through the Sunday, so there wouldn't have been the full population as it was on Friday.
"BURNING MAN 2012-2016 - SPECIAL RECREATION PERMIT STIPULATIONS - GENERAL 19. No more than 1,000 vehicles per hour shall be released from Black Rock City during the
exodus period..."
8,000 vehicles? 4 per vehicle for 32,000 people?

Haven't heard if the 1,000 per hour limit was increased or waved due to the need to get vehicles and their occupants off the playa before they were trapped there by a rained-on playa. With the reports of increased difficulty getting through Gerlach in a timely manner, that may be the case.
Highway to Hell. Stairway to Heaven.Traffic prediction?
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby hazertag » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:37 am

Also,

When I was in line Monday AM from 1:30-6:30 pulsing seemed to NOT be in affect. We were scooting along avery 5-10 mins or so but it was all over the place. I tried turning the car off and sleeping for the first few hours but gave up on that after a while. :|
hazertag

Postby Morrell » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:14 am

We opted to leave early Sunday afternoon and had a 4 hour exodus while one of our camp mates left Monday morning at 4am and had a 10 hour exodus. The rain scare caused quite the flood....
Morrell

Burning Since: 2007

Postby stew » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:18 pm

Fire_Moose wrote:GPE nails it again?

Good job guys!

Credit goes mostly to participants spreading their departures instead of all leaving at the same time. While we're trying to do as much as we can to make Exodus (and entry of course) as good as possible, everyone is contributing their own share by not driving tired, staying with their cars, doing a good job at packing, not changing lanes or speeding like an idiot and making sure that their vehicle won't break down on gate road.
Don't listen to me - I'm just some random drunk with Internet access.
PLAYA PORN!
stew

Postby playaSilk » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:09 pm

hazertag wrote:Also,

When I was in line Monday AM from 1:30-6:30 pulsing seemed to NOT be in affect. We were scooting along avery 5-10 mins or so but it was all over the place. I tried turning the car off and sleeping for the first few hours but gave up on that after a while. :|

My experience exactly. I was in line around 3am Monday, and there didn't seem to be any pulsing whatever. I read elsewhere that it officially started on Monday morning. In retrospect, if I had known that, I would have waited to leave after pulsing started. But nobody got hurt in my crew, nobody got lost, and everyone made it home safely. That's a good exodus as far as I'm concerned.
playaSilk

Postby unjonharley » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:16 pm

I left Sun. evening, the pulse was about an hour per.

people chatted, played catch, let there kids run around, used the port-a's, handed out eats and napped..

5:00-8:00
unjonharley

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man