Best part of 2013?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Best part of 2013?

Postby ACfromSAC » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:24 pm

OK, so the 'worst' thread is in bloom and we can all agree the the portos have seen better years but for me personally, this was the best burn year yet. SO, how about a BEST OF 2013 thread to balance it all out.

There were several factors that made this my best burn year ever, so a few bests from 2013:

1. THE MAN! Wow. My favorite man yet and by far my favorite man burn. What a show!
2. Sunrise. The smoke in the air made for a-m-a-z-i-n-g sunrises.... like best I've ever seen. The deep, dark red made it feel like watching the sunrise from another planet. So great (see no-justice-doing pictue below).
3. Bringing my little brother to his first burn and watching him take so well to life on the playa.
4. The char-cade... wow!
5. My first year in a hexayurt. Burns will never be the same again.

Such an amazing, magical burn for me. Now your turn!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ACfromSAC

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Re: Best part of 2013?

Postby Savannah » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:36 pm

I was wondering about the identity of the positive & awetastic Time Lord who'd eventually start the "Best of 2013" thread . . . :D

Sunrise. The smoke in the air made for a-m-a-z-i-n-g sunrises.... like best I've ever seen. The deep, dark red made it feel like watching the sunrise from another planet.

It did look like Tattooine, didn't it?
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby JayBobBoy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:54 pm

The best part of my ten days on the playa was each afternoon when I'd take my turn helping the citizens ride the zip line from our castle. Hours and hours of wonderful people having a great time. So many smiles and hugs! Thank you!

It was super rewarding to have been a part of it.
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby Lonesomebri » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:37 pm

If the lovely half-nude half-crazy German/Maui beauty I hauled all over deep playa on my chariot is really just my imagination...
I'll see her again!!!
Lonesomebri

Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:51 pm

arriving back at camp on thursday morning after another 1000 mile jaunt AND

going up in that itty bitty airplane for a ride over our beautiful city.

thank you to everyone who helped make that happen.

it is a memory that is BURNED into my mind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"la ayuda del kool es bueno"

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby VultureChow » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:20 pm

Camp. Feeling comfortable enough to smile and joke and hang out. Just feeling welcome. It's not something I normally experience without reservation.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Asquared » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:29 pm

those red sunrises were breathtaking. that, and meeting a very special, friend-for-life eplayan were the highlights of my burn.
but my best part actually happened in reno, after the burn. i met someone who has the capacity to change my life forever.
it just takes a second. one serendipitous encounter can change your world. to be reminded of that was the best part of 2013.
"Settle down you two and play nice - or no dubstep for either." mdmf007
"Just look for camp 'Bad Mother Fucker' and ask for Jules." Supafly_fresh
Asquared

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:21 pm

Maybe not the best (by a long shot) but Graidawg coming up to me on Saturday with a huge smile on his face that he finally got laid at Burning Man by, and I quote, "…random strangers…" I recognize that most of you that would be a rather mundane experience, but Grai was so enthralled, I almost got a hard on. Good job Our American Cousin!
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby pink » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Yay, Grai!

Damn near the whole burn. Even strike went super easy, and the weather was perfect, even with the rain. Not like last years strike in a whiteout!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby tinymystic » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:34 pm

My first burn, Wonderful, Success, Amazing! Best part was meeting everyone and being so welcomed by 'family'! I look forward to returning!
Also best... being able to get around to meet others, see the art and different camps. Driving around deep playa with trikken. Taco Tuesday! :)
All the hugs! :) Being inside the circle for the party at the Man Burn! It was great to live in the moment, with little expectation and seeing where the path led, and each experience that came with it. Couldn't have been better, unless it lasted longer! :)
'no day like today"
~ tinymystic
tinymystic

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:14 pm

How did the chair Figjam built hold up?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby tinymystic » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:23 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:How did the chair Figjam built hold up?

Chair-yacht did really well! Got stuck 3 times in the deep sand, mostly on E & F streets, and the 4:00 spoke... bad dunes there. But, learned to avoid the sinking sand pits. I was a little 'shy' about adventuring out too much on my own though, but, now that I have a clue, I'll be all over next time! Was disappointed we didn't get a chance to talk... next time! :)
'no day like today"
~ tinymystic
tinymystic

Postby ygmir » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:27 pm

tinymystic wrote:My first burn, Wonderful, Success, Amazing! Best part was meeting everyone and being so welcomed by 'family'! I look forward to returning!
Also best... being able to get around to meet others, see the art and different camps. Driving around deep playa with trikken. Taco Tuesday! :)
All the hugs! :) Being inside the circle for the party at the Man Burn! It was great to live in the moment, with little expectation and seeing where the path led, and each experience that came with it. Couldn't have been better, unless it lasted longer! :)

Great meeting you TM!! and seeing you guys after at the gas station! glad all worked out!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:47 pm

I had a great Burn, in spite of my rib. Couldn't do anywhere as much biking around as I usually do, so I spent most evenings hanging out in Fandango and being loud with the best drunks on the playa. Met some amazing people, got a lovely little spin on the BAAAHS (Big Ass Amazingly Awesome Homosexual Sheep), just had a great time bonding with people this year.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:11 pm

We had our own burning girl on Sunday...

Tom and I some how managed to create all of this in one year of working our asses off.

maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: House Of Stark

Postby lucky420 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:27 am

To bad it wasn't more enjoyable for you TG...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Ratty » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:07 am

Eric, Damn it! I meant to go see BAAAHS and I forgot. They were at Nimby's buying cheap costumes from me at their final party. The Sheep wasn't covered yet and I had so many invites from the boys. (Great group). Ahhh. Maybe next year.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:35 am

Ratty wrote:Eric, Damn it! I meant to go see BAAAHS and I forgot. They were at Nimby's buying cheap costumes from me at their final party. The Sheep wasn't covered yet and I had so many invites from the boys. (Great group). Ahhh. Maybe next year.

I missed them all week then during exodus they were right next to us so I ran over and gave them all big hugs! I had been in contact with them all year and one of the guys is from Iowa as well. I got a tour of it in exodus. It was/is amazing! They did a great job! Love those guys!
tattoogoddess

Postby danibel » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:07 am

The man was amazing. The show at Ashram Galatica was hil-a-ri-ous (Save the man!). The microtch art piece in center camp was fabulous. I loved the temple, but it is very hard for me to not sob every time I go in. Hanging out Monday during the day with friends waiting for the "storm," and then hanging out at the man embers Monday night while Joyism mixed drinks and played musica. Driving straight out Tuesday morning for exodus. My Edward Snowden LED light gift from a new friend. Coming upon Elliot's bike repair camp on my mission for ice and getting a BIG HUG! <hug>

Over all it was a fabulous burn and I hope I get to do it again next year.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby havoc » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:12 am

the red moon the first few nights

the portos at 3:00 and H (our neighborhood was amazing and these puppies were super clean every day until i left!)

the man was spectacular

the bunk bed in the deep playa...it was exactly where i needed it to be on sunday night. ;)

finding the shangri-lounge in the deep playa on monday night, enjoying a lemon-drop and meeting some fabulous people
havoc

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:54 pm

Ratty wrote:Eric, Damn it! I meant to go see BAAAHS and I forgot. They were at Nimby's buying cheap costumes from me at their final party. The Sheep wasn't covered yet and I had so many invites from the boys. (Great group). Ahhh. Maybe next year.

BAAAHS was incredible - the interior is the best "party bus" interior I've seen (obviously, no art car is going to surpass Neverwas Haul for interiors!), and the attitude of the crew was great. They let all genders, preferences & shapes on the bus with open arms, and the crew fit that description as well. I was lucky enough to have lots of friends associated with it, so I got a tour on Monday before her maiden voyage. My camera almost freaked out trying to capture the lurid pinks inside. *sigh*
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby forty_eight » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:29 pm

Burning Man ... FUCK YEAHH!

Comment inspired by a super epic Bloody Mary from Blood Bath and Beyond. You guys made a great bloody mary! KUDOS to you! I was going to say hey to TG and Tom as they were chilling but it seemed odd calling out strangers by name. So, thanks you guys! Your camp was vibing real nice when I got my beverage on Saturday. I had a mixer to gift, but you guys were uber-stocked!

My best part probably happened in the lifeguard tower.

We went in and had three separate long conversations with other participants.

I loved that people had or made time to just chill and chat. No hurry, no fuss. I guess that is Immediacy at work. It was damn cool.

We had great neighbors that were just the perfect fit for me and my wife. They were English folks by way of Marin, and we enjoyed cocktails and champagne together.

There was a lot of cool stuff. We were pretty shocked how intriguing the Man burn was. Our area breaking into a 'safety third' chant as debris seemed to head for the 1:00ish area of the crowd.

Oh yeah, the Million Carrot March or whatever. That was so damn fun! Teaming up with Animal Control, we met the bunnies at the man and infiltrated their march and chanted and danced obnoxiously. Best part of that was when the bunny marching band was playing "When The Saints Go Marching In" and we sung the chorus "When the carrots come marching in". There were genuine glares of contempt from the band, and that just made it that much more delicious.

Funniest best thing is that we had already determined that we wouldn't likely attend next year ... yet, list making and brainstorming better ways to burn were had!!!

We may not be back next year, but we will be back. It's way too fucking fun out there. On to LA Decompression where dogs are allowed. That was easily the hardest part - missed my doggeh a whole freaking lot.

Enough best parts ... all the parts were the best parts!
forty_eight

Postby forty_eight » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:34 pm

One more thing: spoken word at Center Camp Cafe stage performed by Ready ... she was awesome.

A crazy made up creation myth and a Zambian folk tale told with a talent that shocked me. I wanted moar.
forty_eight

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:09 pm

48_love wrote:Burning Man ... FUCK YEAHH!

Comment inspired by a super epic Bloody Mary from Blood Bath and Beyond. You guys made a great bloody mary! KUDOS to you! I was going to say hey to TG and Tom as they were chilling but it seemed odd calling out strangers by name. So, thanks you guys! Your camp was vibing real nice when I got my beverage on Saturday. I had a mixer to gift, but you guys were uber-stocked!

Your doing it wrong!!!! You should have said hello!!!!
tattoogoddess

Postby Savannah » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:35 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:
48_love wrote:Burning Man ... FUCK YEAHH!

Your doing it wrong!!!! You should have said hello!!!!

I remember reading that you were nervous about venturing into camps your first year. ;)

(But yes, he should've.)

Savannah

Postby SaritaSyrah » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:08 pm

A best for me was slinging wine at the naked masses for the naked pub crawl (or whatever it's called)! SO MANY PENISES! At one point, after the alcohol had run dry, I was talking to two guys, one of which had dyed a scarf in the dye shop with me the day prior. Only now he had no pants on and his man parts were (are..?) terrifyingly HUGE, as are his companion's. Nervous to mention anything, blush, stutter, cry...I avoided looking down. Feeling absolutely awkward and making small talk....when another man walked up and said, with a glorious vernacular, "HOLY SHIT! you are huge." Then jumped into a conversation about how big it gets when erect.

Bless the gays for showing me how things are done.
BURN SHIT!
SaritaSyrah

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby Savannah » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:10 pm

:lol: :lol:

Savannah

Postby Schtev » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:16 pm

My camp mates, the big pile of insights, the goddamn FREEDOM of expression and space, the rewarding challenges of coping, the fleshy eye candy, and unexpected grilled cheese. There's more I'm sure. Its just too much.
"I will not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. Where the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain."
Schtev

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Frosty Phoques

Postby mulch » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:24 am

The best part that I didn't expect was that the immediate 10 or so couples/camps around us were, to the person, great fun and compatible with us. We made friends right away, explored the days and nights together, and felt like we had been friends before coming there and meeting up. Shared food, and gifts and insights and wine and such. I would have had a blast with just my travel buddy, but being immediately mixed in with a larger newly formed group of like minded people was a surprise and a treat for my social being.
choose damned if you do
mulch

Postby TomServo » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:39 am

Hanging out with my campmates and neighbors. Roller Derby. The Absinthe shots...YGMIR I WAS LOOKING FOR YOU!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man