What did you forget last year?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: What did you forget last year?

Postby Zhust » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:00 am

I, too, have sworn by lists (and, to be completely weird about it, it's in a FileMaker Pro 5 database running in Classic on OSX on a iBook G3 — and it has itemized categories like "Buy", "Pack", etc. that auto-fill so when I say to bring my tent, it adds the accessories and reminds me to set it up and check it.) It was 2006 I think, and I used that kind of list to get everything packed up perfect. And then I spent an hour having dinner and just sitting, waiting to be stricken by the thought of something I forgot. Nothing came to mind. So I left. I drove 2,500 miles. I got past the gate, and as I'm making my way to BRC: "I forgot the tuna."

At our farm market, there is a vendor who brings overstock commercial items for (usually) super cheap. For a few years they had single-serve packets of tuna which I found to be quite desirable on the Playa. So each week I'd buy some more; each time future-savoring it on the Playa.

I forgot, like, 30 packets. I even visualized them all sitting in the cupboard untouched. I never put it on the list.

On another note, I have come to realize my memory is shit and only getting worse, so I am desperately trying to build good habits. One is: put important things in the obvious place, not the special place.

Burning Man tickets go in the charmed spot on the corkboard. When I had a car, they migrate to the charmed spot in the car, but now they migrate to the charmed spot in my wallet. They also appear 3 times on the [alphabetized] list as "1-Tickets", "Tickets", and "Zee Tickets".
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby graidawg » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:26 am

all this talk of lists has got me wondering if my favorite logistical fetishist has made a list for me..... even though she lives in a different continent. seriously i am getting so lazy at prepping for BM.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:31 am

On another note, I have come to realize my memory is shit and only getting worse, so I am desperately trying to build good habits. One is: put important things in the obvious place, not the special place.

oh shit, i just remembered where i hid that ticket i lost 5 years ago.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:31 am

Would'nt it be digested by now? :shock:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby pink » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:15 pm

After reading and posting in this thread, I left to go to the High Sierra Music Fest. Had the list with everything checked off...except after I had driven about 10 miles I remembered I had forgotten my ticket.

DOH!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man